Personal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I grew up on a bird farm as a kid, most my friends familys owned dairy farms. After school if we all wanted to go do something, we'd all help one another with our chores. It wasn't an option not to feed the stock, or water, shoval crap or whatever.
Not trying to sound like one of those had to walk 5 miles throu the snow to school storys, but kid had a lot more responsibility then.
Something missing these days with kids. Not their fault, but a condition of our times.
I was a hell raiser and trouble maker as a teenager. Very rebellious and had a hard time holding a normal job. Tree work was made for me. I would probably be doing life in prison somewhere if i hadn't found the tree business when i did. A misfit was welcomed so long as you worked hard and did your job.

I grew up on a bird farm as a kid, most my friends familys owned dairy farms. After school if we all wanted to go do something, we'd all help one another with our chores. It wasn't an option not to feed the stock, or water, shoval crap or whatever.
Not trying to sound like one of those had to walk 5 miles throu the snow to school storys, but kid had a lot more responsibility then.
Something missing these days with kids. Not their fault, but a condition of our times.
I was a hell raiser and trouble maker as a teenager. Very rebellious and had a hard time holding a normal job. Tree work was made for me. I would probably be doing life in prison somewhere if i hadn't found the tree business when i did. A misfit was welcomed so long as you worked hard and did your job.

Kid's today won't even raise a tiny bit of hell. They think they are by smoking blunts, tattoos, etc. but they just momma's boys.

Just because you can't "hold" a job does not mean that there is something wrong with you.

:rolleyes:
Next time the Dingo is loading wood I should make sure to tell the forman it should be loading brush instead.

The problem with the newest generation coming up is they want to run the operation from the get go. We weren't even allowed to speak our mind until we earned some respect.

If you ever need a summer job hit me up in a pm.
So true we hired this one kid he was 19 wanted to be a climber because he climbed his mammas crab apple when he was 5 or some crap. Well we said alright well u need to learn a few basics first like how to use a rake, he didn't know how to hold it at first... his first day we were on a monster cotton wood plenty of stuff to do on the ground and every time there was something to do he would walk away n find someone to ask a question and constant I wanna do that instead comments (be the climber) 3 days of me going dude DO SOMETHING. Like small steps here junior we'll start with dragging brush and raking then we can step up to maybe a small chainsaw. Dude was constantly not doing anything his mommy called him in sick one day cause he had a rash on his foot. After a week n a half we fired him, he got all butt hurt saying everyone was lying about him not working and he was sweating every day lol I replied with "I can break a sweat sitting so??" Pretty sure he stomped his feet a few times. Plus the boss man was out with us a couple days and saw first hand this dudes laziness n tried telling the boss he was wrong. He claims we told him he would only work 8 hrs a day 7 to 330 at the latest. The one day he called an uber at 3 o'clock, not gonna lye I was happy to see him go. We have very bad luck with anybody under 35.
3 or 4 years ago I had a badass crew all under 30 but I lost them all to big money jobs. Now I get lazy or old, over 60 years old, Mexicans who don't speak a word of English but can work or just plain stupid people.
I'm looking for a new line of work before I commit mental suicide.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

So true we hired this one kid he was 19 wanted to be a climber because he climbed his mammas crab apple when he was 5 or some crap. Well we said alright well u need to learn a few basics first like how to use a rake, he didn't know how to hold it at first... his first day we were on a monster cotton wood plenty of stuff to do on the ground and every time there was something to do he would walk away n find someone to ask a question and constant I wanna do that instead comments (be the climber) 3 days of me going dude DO SOMETHING. Like small steps here junior we'll start with dragging brush and raking then we can step up to maybe a small chainsaw. Dude was constantly not doing anything his mommy called him in sick one day cause he had a rash on his foot. After a week n a half we fired him, he got all butt hurt saying everyone was lying about him not working and he was sweating every day lol I replied with "I can break a sweat sitting so??" Pretty sure he stomped his feet a few times. Plus the boss man was out with us a couple days and saw first hand this dudes laziness n tried telling the boss he was wrong. He claims we told him he would only work 8 hrs a day 7 to 330 at the latest. The one day he called an uber at 3 o'clock, not gonna lye I was happy to see him go. We have very bad luck with anybody under 35.
3 or 4 years ago I had a badass crew all under 30 but I lost them all to big money jobs. Now I get lazy or old, over 60 years old, Mexicans who don't speak a word of English but can work or just plain stupid people.

I hired that same kid.

Man you had me soooo fooled, I thought you were like that kid opy on maybury rfd :eek: What is even funnier I lived in a town like Maybury had aunts like Bea and raised so much Cain it embarrasses me today. I'm lucky to have survived as long as I have :drinkingcoffee:

I have been trying to put a definition on when people go around asking questions instead of doing what they were just told to do. What is that called?

I put an ad up a few days ago for hired labor... basically a firewood stacker.

I had someone email saying I was ripping people off trying to pay minimum wage ($9.80 here) and how that type of work was worth at least $15/hr.

Talk about "entitlement"! I'd love to understand how he could think it was a "rip off". The work and pay were clearly described. It's a minimal skill set job.

$15/hr... haha!
I doubt I make even $5/hr most weeks!

I put an ad up a few days ago for hired labor... basically a firewood stacker.

I had someone email saying I was ripping people off trying to pay minimum wage ($9.80 here) and how that type of work was worth at least $15/hr.

Talk about "entitlement"! I'd love to understand how he could think it was a "rip off". The work and pay were clearly described. It's a minimal skill set job.

$15/hr... haha!
I doubt I make even $5/hr most weeks!

The skill set required being low has little to do with the commitment and dedication required to do the laborious task.

If you think a firewood stacker is only worth 10 then that's all you should expect.

The skill set required being low has little to do with the commitment and dedication required to do the laborious task.

If you think a firewood stacker is only worth 10 then that's all you should expect.

I'm not sure what you mean.

I just thought it was interesting someone would think its such a crazy idea of paying minimum wage and "expect" 50% more pay!

I know of no "floor sweeper" work that pays that well, otherwise I'd be doing it.

A friend is the head manager of the local Taco Bell, it pays around $13/hr. She has to supervise about 15 employees, take care of ordering supplies, etc.

Anyhow, I hired someone today, had about 35 people call on the job.

Heck when I was a kid I earned $5.15/hr on farms (min wage). Adjusted for inflation that's under $8 today. I thought I struck it rich actually getting paid for slave labor. My Dad didn't pay us! Haha!

I think a labor job should a fair but lower wage. And let them work up from there. A exceptional ground man should get and deserves a wage matching their abilities. A guy you could count on to stack wood, who did it really well and fast. Did extra, deserves more and should get raises.
You can give a lazy guy 20 dollars an hour and he'll still be lazy and complain. A good man will work just as hard for 10.00 an hour as 20. But probably won't stay long
Reward those who deserve it.

You should try paying your firewood stackers a $/volume rate instead of hourly. I bet you see a huge increase in productivity, as well as less variable in what it costs you to produce x amount of wood, meaning you can know just about exactly how much you will make on each cord.

Guys it's like this I've worked my Azz off for the past 22 years just this year I got bumped up to 20 bucks an hour for driving an asphalt truck on the 2nd 12 hour shift so nights in other words I've had and held the kind of jobs like cutting stacking carrying firewood brush hell I've even called myself a mechanic considering I've worked on cars heavy equipment just about all my 45 years damn good at everything I do im not educated by today's standards now I work everyday hard I've done this my father done this until the agent orange exposure he was exposed to in Vietnam caused his disability but he still does more at 68.and disabled than kids half my age that hard work comes from my grandfather who insidently was one of the very best arborist in the country that man WORKED my father following his footsteps knows one hell of a deal about it as well he left that field to go to war then drove trucks after Vietnam saying that let me tell you bout these kids of today first hand I've got 2 23 yr old stepsons one works his ass off has a nearly new car and a girlfriend lives in his own place that one was adopted ok now the other one sits in front of a computer playing games smokes weed bitches about what we don't have at home with his mindset that he's gonna start a job with no diploma at a higher rate of pay than I make uh huh thats gonna happen when I started work on a cattle / pig farm at 13 for 1.50/hour I was happy to get that but I worked these kids as a whole today are dumd as hell.and lazy don't even begin to cover it. Like someone said society isn't the whole blame parents are we /they figured it's too dangerous to go out and play outside where you might get a sunburn or something geez come on Columbine and things like that wouldn't happen if parents was allowed or was interested in being parents I got my ass tore up when I did wrong and for that have never been in prison no serious criminal records worked hard because that's what I was TAUGHT yes education is a good thing but so is the thing that's not so common anymore common sense respect for elders and yourself people who stand up for the right damn reason instead of sitting on their hands cause they afraid to hurt a youngsters feelings that's the kind of folks that cause tbe guts like we have all hired you know the lazy I wanna do that job instead of picking up the branch or raking up tbe debris it's our own fault as parents and leaders of our homes that should be showing these kids what to do

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

And one more minor detail if y all will notice over the past idk 25 or so.years the slow bust steady removal of God and prayer from school and work sure has changed things it's up to you if you are a believer or not I'm just putting it out there when a guy went into a high school in Paducah KY and shot a bunch of kids while they were praying that didn't make such a big deal.as Columbine Colorado did I figured that I'd just mention that

I'm not sure what you mean.

I just thought it was interesting someone would think its such a crazy idea of paying minimum wage and "expect" 50% more pay!

I know of no "floor sweeper" work that pays that well, otherwise I'd be doing it.

A friend is the head manager of the local Taco Bell, it pays around $13/hr. She has to supervise about 15 employees, take care of ordering supplies, etc.

Anyhow, I hired someone today, had about 35 people call on the job.

Heck when I was a kid I earned $5.15/hr on farms (min wage). Adjusted for inflation that's under $8 today. I thought I struck it rich actually getting paid for slave labor. My Dad didn't pay us! Haha!

I remember minimum wage in California at $2.10 an hour,,
Jeff

Guys it's like this I've worked my Azz off for the past 22 years just this year I got bumped up to 20 bucks an hour for driving an asphalt truck on the 2nd 12 hour shift so nights in other words I've had and held the kind of jobs like cutting stacking carrying firewood brush hell I've even called myself a mechanic considering I've worked on cars heavy equipment just about all my 45 years damn good at everything I do im not educated by today's standards now I work everyday hard I've done this my father done this until the agent orange exposure he was exposed to in Vietnam caused his disability but he still does more at 68.and disabled than kids half my age that hard work comes from my grandfather who insidently was one of the very best arborist in the country that man WORKED my father following his footsteps knows one hell of a deal about it as well he left that field to go to war then drove trucks after Vietnam saying that let me tell you bout these kids of today first hand I've got 2 23 yr old stepsons one works his ass off has a nearly new car and a girlfriend lives in his own place that one was adopted ok now the other one sits in front of a computer playing games smokes weed bitches about what we don't have at home with his mindset that he's gonna start a job with no diploma at a higher rate of pay than I make uh huh thats gonna happen when I started work on a cattle / pig farm at 13 for 1.50/hour I was happy to get that but I worked these kids as a whole today are dumd as hell.and lazy don't even begin to cover it. Like someone said society isn't the whole blame parents are we /they figured it's too dangerous to go out and play outside where you might get a sunburn or something geez come on Columbine and things like that wouldn't happen if parents was allowed or was interested in being parents I got my ass tore up when I did wrong and for that have never been in prison no serious criminal records worked hard because that's what I was TAUGHT yes education is a good thing but so is the thing that's not so common anymore common sense respect for elders and yourself people who stand up for the right damn reason instead of sitting on their hands cause they afraid to hurt a youngsters feelings that's the kind of folks that cause tbe guts like we have all hired you know the lazy I wanna do that job instead of picking up the branch or raking up tbe debris it's our own fault as parents and leaders of our homes that should be showing these kids what to do

Well, life is tough and we lay in the bed we made,
Jeff :cool:

Back