Pick up truck load price of firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stgcutter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Is 80$ per pick up truck load of wood a reasonable price? I been selling it like this for a few years and wonder if I should go up

Depends..... on where you are, what it is, are you delivering, and what time of the year are you talking about! Well seasoned & split hardwood goes for about $50 a face cord if they pick it up here in lower MI. Delivered is a different animal tho.

I. Agree. Allow supply & demand determine the price. Long winter last year drove up spring prices. I STILL can't cut behind my homestead cut its still too wet. My questions were legit tho.

Split oak and I sell mostly during middle of the fall and winter. I keep plenty of wood throughout the year so the wood will be dry enough to burn good. I use my mini loader, splitter, truck and trailer. Sold over 100 cords last winter

$50-60 around here, about approx 1/3rd cord. So, if you can get 80 easily now, hey, semi fat city!

Here's the thing down here though, last winter was a cold aberration..everyone who had dried wood for sale sold out. There is no way in heck anyone ..but me..around here will have two year old dried oak this winter. I have one, two and three year old oak, anyone wants it, it goes for a premium based on age or I sit on it. No desire to compete with those lowball only half dried wood sellers.

I live in alabama so I did pretty well last year. My wood was cut in summer of last year. It's pretty good and dried from the hot summer

You did over 100 full cords with just a pickup truck? So we are talking, half a cord a load?

Yeah a regular half cord pick up truck full. You must remember I didn't deliver too many loads of wood in that truck. I received a bit of help from a relative with his ldump body truck. I supplied a store with atleast 20 cords or wood also.

A regular Chevy 1500. The beds is a long bed I believe. I have taller sides on my trailer so I can pull more wood

$50-60 around here, about approx 1/3rd cord. So, if you can get 80 easily now, hey, semi fat city!

Here's the thing down here though, last winter was a cold aberration..everyone who had dried wood for sale sold out. There is no way in heck anyone ..but me..around here will have two year old dried oak this winter. I have one, two and three year old oak, anyone wants it, it goes for a premium based on age or I sit on it. No desire to compete with those lowball only half dried wood sellers.
I totally agree!
I have all mostly dead standing oak; some 1/2 years and 2 years! I get good $ for it if I like the customer. Some I sell really cheap to some people I really like, and who need and appreciate it! Even give some away every year! What gos around comes around!! Was just turned on to 7 1/2 acres and all the surrounding property of all the wood I want on it! Just got a load of big dead standing red oak today.

Depends on bed size and how u load it tossed in or stacked nice an neat bed level or above bed hieght

120 -150 dollars a cord is the goin rate here for oak ,hickory is more. A cord of wood will fit in a 8 ft bed stacked just above the cab. Dad done it many yrs. Best to use a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. 1/2 truck just isn't heavy enough. Lots and lots of rear wheels bearings.

I'd say a half cord is a safe load for short bed, 1/2 ton trucks (especially the newer ones with cushy suspension). So $40-90 bucks a load depending on location, whether this is delivery or customer pickup, and species of wood would seem fair to me. If someone shows up with a long box and stake sides, you need to determine volume and price by the cord or fraction of cord.

Around here softwood is $100 a cord, hardwood $150, and oak $180 delivered within reasonably close radius to seller.

I get $75 for a load of mixed hardwoods, usually elms, box elder,cottonwood, maybe some ash or blackcherry - firepit wood. Load averages 50-55 cubic feet stacked wood. My 8' box F150 needed airbags on the back so the headlights don't lightup the tree tops ;-) Price includes delivery up to 15 miles loaded, after that I have a per mile upcharge. Never had a complaint about price, and many tip once they see how much wood they are getting. If they want to pick it up I ask $60 for the same amount.

I'd say a half cord is a safe load for short bed, 1/2 ton trucks (especially the newer ones with cushy suspension). So $40-90 bucks a load depending on location, whether this is delivery or customer pickup, and species of wood would seem fair to me. If someone shows up with a long box and stake sides, you need to determine volume and price by the cord or fraction of cord.

Around here softwood is $100 a cord, hardwood $150, and oak $180 delivered within reasonably close radius to seller.

I have a regular customer for 4 cord willow every year. Been charging 120 full cord. Raised it to $130 this year. He is still happy. Amazing thing is that he also burns good wood (fir, tamarack) so he knows the difference.

Harry K

I have a regular customer for 4 cord willow every year. Been charging 120 full cord. Raised it to $130 this year. He is still happy. Amazing thing is that he also burns good wood (fir, tamarack) so he knows the difference.

Harry K
The peace of mind knowing he's got reliable wood coming each year is probably worth the premium of purchasing from someone he trusts.

While stopped for a pop, I had a guy offer me $50 to drop this off at his house.

It's the first 40 feet of a standing dead White oak.
I don't usually sell or buy wood, but he only lived a half mile away. :)
That's a Tacoma, I'm guessing 1200 lbs.

I let him split it, I went back for the smaller stuff.

Tom

Latest posts

Back