Picked up a Foley 394 Grinder on Craigslist today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie Rider

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Have never ground a chain, but stumbled across this on a list of "woodworking" tools and looked it up. I paid $55 with the grinder, 13 wheels, a vise-grip style chain spinner and some other stuff. I KNOW I did well! Now to figure this out as the guy I bought it from didn't ever use it. Would be interesting to learn to do square grind as I read that this is capable.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Been an awesome week for "toys" I mean TOOLS! A new saw, a new splitter, and now this!

Story on it was that guy I bought from purchased it from a guy at work after his father died. The guys father owned a "construction company" and sometimes cleared lots and used it to sharpen chains. I doubt it was used much at all. The guy I bought it from never even tried it and had 4 tons of "enviblocks" in his basement.... so I doubt he cut much wood at all.

Anyone of the responders or any one else have a clue or link to how to use it properly on the internet? Foley-Belsaw says the manual for the 308 model doesn't really apply as there were plenty of changes.

Any idea where to look?

Thanks!

Anyone of the responders or any one else have a clue or link to how to use it properly on the internet? Foley-Belsaw says the manual for the 308 model doesn't really apply as there were plenty of changes.

Any idea where to look?

Thanks!

Bottom of this page says that the 308 manual can be used to train 394 users:
https://shop-foley-belsaw.com/foley/27.cat

Good deal rep sent. Those wheels have to be worth double what you paid for the grinder. :cheers:

I've never done square ground but somebody on this site should be able to point you in the right direction.

Bottom of this page says that the 308 manual can be used to train 394 users:
https://shop-foley-belsaw.com/foley/27.cat

mikefunaro from the site contacted them and they mentioned that the 308 manual was of limited use... I guess the grinders are different enough that the manual won't jive with different settings and numbers.

I'm hoping that someone can translate the grinder settings with what they actually mean.

Valkyrie Rider said:
Have never ground a chain, . . . Anyone of the responders or any one else have a clue or link to how to use it properly on the Internet??

Congratulations. Nice find and great deal.

The key to grinding is pretty simple. You are primarily trying to match 2 angles: the angle of the cutter (viewed from above) and the angle of the cutting edge (similar to the edge of a chisel).

That over simplifies things just a bit, but it may help you figure out your grinder after looking at the instructions for other grinders, like what kr5258 provided, or the manual for the Oregon (and similar) grinders (http://www.oregonchain.com/pdf/accessories/511AManual_3Lang.pdf).

You mount your chain in the chain vice, and adjust it forward or backward so that the grinding wheel just touches/kisses the edge of the first cutter. The rotation of the vice sets the first angle. The tilt of the grinding head sets the second angle. Grind all of the cutters on one side. Change the rotation of the vice for the other side. It looks like you can also reverse the direction of the motor on your grinder so that you are always grinding the cutters in the same direction.

You can look up the angles for chains on the manufacturer's web sites, or copy those on a new chain.

Use a light touch. You will get the hang of it after a few chains.

Philbert

mikefunaro from the site contacted them and they mentioned that the 308 manual was of limited use... I guess the grinders are different enough that the manual won't jive with different settings and numbers.

I'm hoping that someone can translate the grinder settings with what they actually mean.

Maybe you can talk this guy into copying his manual for you:
http://newhaven.craigslist.org/tls/1838655822.html

Latest posts

Back