picked up a new project (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tree_beard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
stihl 088 with a siezed piston and cylinder...:greenchainsaw:

088001.jpg

088002.jpg

088003.jpg

088004.jpg

now all i need is to learn how to re-build a saw... my knowledge extends to basic maintenance only.

but i thought if im going to learn how to rebuild saws, then something as big and chunky as an 088 would be a good place to start

i'll tear into it over the next week (thanks for the ipl+service manual 04ultra), post pics and ask lots of newbie questions...

wish me luck:cheers:

the story i got from the seller was that he got the 088, and a 064 and a bunch of other saws from a tree guy that was pretty clueless and trashed them all.

the original owner said he wasnt sure if his mix was right...

the guy i got the saw off said that the original owner used the 088 with a short bar (20-25") to buck logs to size on the back of the truck, just for the noise and big c0ck factor...

and yeah, the air filter was trashed...
088005.jpg

so basically, whatever you can think off that might cause a siezure, was done to this saw. lean mix, over-revving with a short bar, gaping hole in the air filter...

this is the best pic i could get through the muffler
088012.jpg

i'll have a proper look in a day or two

Looks like a combination of all those possibilities. I'm interested in seeing the intake side. Post a pic of that up when you get it torn down.

about £200/$400...

probably too much...

but i should have it rebuilt for half the price of a new one (£900/$1800 here in the uk)

and its a learning experience... and thats priceless (CAD talking)

A new P&C is way over $400 in the USA... plus tax.

Check your clutch side main bearing mount - if it's one of the early 088 and you detect movement, you could have a slogged out case. And if it's not, hopefully the bearing is O.K. - the clutch side on the later versions is bear to replace...

Decent looking carcass though!

finally got round to tearing into it..

so, yesterday night i had a little play.... with the aid of an 088ipl and a 044 shop manual (got an 088 one in .pdf but couldnt be bothered to print it yet) taught myself how to remove a carb and cylinder...

pist1.jpg

pist2.jpg

pist3.jpg

pist4.jpg

pist5.jpg

mmmmmm, nicely toasted

jug1.jpg

jug2.jpg

jug3.jpg

talk about snag a nail... more like tear a finger off...

turning the crank over feels like stirring gravel and has a mm or two side to side play....
but the crank (as far as i can tell) looks un-damaged and the right colour.

next step, remove piston, rear handle/tank, and then maybe visit my friendly local dealer and borrow a bit of his time/tools and split the case

Ouch!!!
If your getting a new 880 for £900 you must be real good at haggling or VAT registered!
Good luck with the project!
I went the other way and started witha 242xp:)

Ouch!!!
If your getting a new 880 for £900 you must be real good at haggling or VAT registered!
Good luck with the project!
I went the other way and started witha 242xp:)

ok, maybe closer to £1000... (not that ive ever enquired about a new one, too rich for my blood...)

got any further with your 242?

and i'll need all the luck i can get, cheers :cheers:

ok, maybe closer to £1000... (not that ive ever enquired about a new one, too rich for my blood...)

got any further with your 242?

and i'll need all the luck i can get, cheers :cheers:

I have everything to do a vac and pressure test now, Just waiting for a base gasket that i didnt order when i got the piston and carb kit:dizzy:

so whats the diagnosis?

this being the first piston i have ever exposed/inspected first hand....

tell me if i'm on the right lines....
pist2.jpg

heavy scoring on exhaust side.... where as the intake side looks reasonable, top of piston doesnt look bad deposit/damage wise (except for exhaust side edge of course), rings and piston seem to have melted together at top of exhaust side....

so im thinking massive over heating and seizure due to over-revving and possible lean mixture, it doesnt seem to have eaten anything...

am i on the right lines?

To me, it looks like it was tuned lean, the top of the piston has gotten HOT. The exhaust side of the piston will always be hotter than the intake side for obvious reasons. Yours got hot enough at one point to transfer aluminum to the port, where it would later harden. The hard aluminum began grinding into the skirt and rings, and once the smoothness of the skirt was compromised, the cylinder was quickly to follow. Eventually, the aluminum covered the rings...they stuck, no compression.

The transfers look great, intake port looks great, but thats about the worst exh. side Ive ever seen.

With a short bar, he should have tuned way rich to keep the revs down...but being the nut swinger he clearly was...14K was too good to mess with...

Check your clutch side main bearing mount - if it's one of the early 088 and you detect movement, you could have a slogged out case. And if it's not, hopefully the bearing is O.K. - the clutch side on the later versions is bear to replace...

2002 model does that count as early?

...when rotating the crank it seems to catch at acertain point in the rotation each time, meets quite a bit of resistance... is this just knackered bearings from the heat? or an idication of crank/case damage?

cant get the case split til next week... just after an idea of what the damage might extend to

Back