Another New Member Wanting to Say Hello...and other stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
first hi and welcome @AgainstTheGrain1. @happysaws,just curious about bent stihl files as i have been using them for 30 years and never had/found a bent one. i pay $3.99 for a 3 pack so yes they are disposable.

I'll post some pics after I can get into the garage. 98% of the Stihl files I have used have worked great with no problems, but after I bought 2 in a row that were bent, I started using Nicholson.

A 3-pack around here goes for about $6.

27e90690a4769e357dec4ebbceb5f568.jpg
e9df2b5308de8f3ec76e98614d385726.jpg

It's bent where the pencil points. The sharp part of the file is straight, but the handle is bent.
a51ee5c0574cabeb7a328381bbd10a32.jpg

I also had a Stihl "goofy" file, for sharpening square chains, but I must have misplaced it because I can't find it. It was also bent at the handle. It still sharpens, but it cannot be used in a bar mount-file guide. I paid $8 for the double-bevel file, and as soon as I found the handle was bent (hadn't even used it yet), I took it back to the dealer with the receipt, and they said they would not replace it. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way...

The larger file is straight as an arrow.

27e90690a4769e357dec4ebbceb5f568.jpg
e9df2b5308de8f3ec76e98614d385726.jpg

It's bent where the pencil points. The sharp part of the file is straight, but the handle is bent.
a51ee5c0574cabeb7a328381bbd10a32.jpg

I also had a Stihl "goofy" file, for sharpening square chains, but I must have misplaced it because I can't find it. It was also bent at the handle. It still sharpens, but it cannot be used in a bar mount-file guide. I paid $8 for the double-bevel file, and as soon as I found the handle was bent (hadn't even used it yet), I took it back to the dealer with the receipt, and they said they would not replace it. Kinda rubbed me the wrong way...

The larger file is straight as an arrow.
i'll have to look at mine next time i use them. i just free hand file with a handle on mine so i may not have noticed. sucks about the dealer.

Back