Picked up a Polaris Ranger today!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ancy

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well we bought a Polaris Ranger today and can't wait to get out and use it. Anyone have them? Like or hate them? I am a BIG Honda guy but they are miles behind Polaris when it comes to UTVs. Just thought I would share, here's some pictures.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

View attachment 224275View attachment 224276View attachment 224277View attachment 224278

Nice! I'd like to get one too..been looking at them lately ...I think a 500 would fit my needs although I wouldn't pass up a clean used 700 or 800 twin....btw my brother has an 800 RZR and it is awesome .....the Ranger is better for me though ..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I ride with a gang that all have Rangers except me, I have a Kawasaki, with all the riding we have done in the last 4 years none of them have had any issues whatsoever!
We have ridden VT, NH and Maine, we put on about 1200 miles a year.
One of the guys isn't too good on maintenance and even his has held up just fine. One guy uses his to haul firewood. I think they can tow about 1200 lbs.

Nice ride, did you buy it new or used? One of my uncles has a Ranger 500 and I have just drove it a few times and really like it. It seemed to have plenty of power. We would love to have a vehicle like this for our farm and for hauling wood.

I am a big Honda man myself, currently have a 05 Rubicon that has over 10,000 miles and it is still going strong. But I will agree that Honda is way behind is this department. I wouldn't mind having the new Big Red but the three speed transmission is what turns me off.

One thing I would do is get some better tires for that Ranger.

Congrats on the Ranger.. I think you'll find that Ranger and plow is going to come in handy. We purchased the 800 Sportsman so we could pull a trailer through the woods and to haul the corn to our deer feeders. We have a 1/4 mile long road to the house so by fall we found a Country type plow for the front. I wasn't sure what the 800 could do but last winter I never took out the tractor once. That twin has a lot of power and the snow just flies.

The sad part is, we would load the trailer with wood, the wife would jump on the 800 and pull it out. One thing lead to another and we ended up with a 500 for her. Like she said, If we had two of them, one could pull a trailer and the other could pull the splitter.

So much so saving money by heating with wood. Warning!! Don't do what I did.. Never let the wife drive it... :biggrin:

Nice ride, did you buy it new or used? One of my uncles has a Ranger 500 and I have just drove it a few times and really like it. It seemed to have plenty of power. We would love to have a vehicle like this for our farm and for hauling wood.

I am a big Honda man myself, currently have a 05 Rubicon that has over 10,000 miles and it is still going strong. But I will agree that Honda is way behind is this department. I wouldn't mind having the new Big Red but the three speed transmission is what turns me off.

One thing I would do is get some better tires for that Ranger.

Used, my FIL had it from new and just replaced it with a $18,000 new one:msp_ohmy:!!! This is the 500cc one and it will do 50mph down the road and pull what ever you want in the low range so what more would you need. It has 450 hours so hardly broke in yet. I'm going to stick to the factory tires until worn out.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Ranger.. I think you'll find that Ranger and plow is going to come in handy. We purchased the 800 Sportsman so we could pull a trailer through the woods and to haul the corn to our deer feeders. We have a 1/4 mile long road to the house so by fall we found a Country type plow for the front. I wasn't sure what the 800 could do but last winter I never took out the tractor once. That twin has a lot of power and the snow just flies.

The sad part is, we would load the trailer with wood, the wife would jump on the 800 and pull it out. One thing lead to another and we ended up with a 500 for her. Like she said, If we had two of them, one could pull a trailer and the other could pull the splitter.

So much so saving money by heating with wood. Warning!! Don't do what I did.. Never let the wife drive it... :biggrin:

Funny thing is my wife has had ATVs way before me, started with a 3 wheeler and now enjoys a Honda 250EX. I run a Honda Rancher AT with a plow now and it will go through anything now that it has chains. I am not a huge fan of their ATVs but any ATV is better than none. Nice thing about the Ranger it can pull the splitter and load the wood.

Used, my FIL had it from new and just replaced it with a $18,000 new one:msp_ohmy:!!! This is the 500cc one and it will do 50mph down the road and pull what ever you want in the low range so what more would you need. It has 450 hours so hardly broke in yet. I'm going to stick to the factory tires until worn out.

+1

For what we do with the ATV's the 500 is more than enough. I had a trailer load of wood behind the 800 when I got stuck, the wife pulled up along side me with the 500 and the splitter, she pulled me out like it was nothing. That low range is a real work horse.

The 800 takes twice the gas and if you wind it out even more.

Love Mine

I have had my Polaris since 2008 and cannot remember how I made it before then. I use it almost everyday for hauling wood or hay or pulling a trailer around the place. I have not had to plow much snow this year but it works very well and will be needed today (Sunday) if the predictions are correct.

Why can't you do both with the Ranger? Pictures?

I do both with the Ranger.The cub (2004 big country)I owned was perfect for wood hauling and general use around the home place .I purchased it new in 04 and never had any problems.The cub was perfect for its intended usage but was severly lacking as a trail vehicle.

I purchased the Ranger and have found a close to perfect fit for my needs..

I do both with the Ranger.The cub (2004 big country)I owned was perfect for wood hauling and general use around the home place .I purchased it new in 04 and never had any problems.The cub was perfect for its intended usage but was severly lacking as a trail vehicle.

I purchased the Ranger and have found a close to perfect fit for my needs..

225234d1329791031-photo069-jpg

I thought you were saying it the other way around.

I bought a used Ranger 500 about a year ago and it's been handier than I imagined. It's an 07 and the bed is wider than my sil's 11 model. The more I use it the more I overload it with firewood. Put little pegs in the top holes of bedsides to haul more.

Latest posts

Back