Picked up a Stihl 084, need some advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gmctyphoon

gmctyphoon

ArboristSite Operative
First I’ve been reading this site for a long time now, and have recently joined. Thank you so much for this great site and all the info.

I started with one saw (jonsered 2153), and now, thanks to this site, I have 8 saws, lol

The one I’d like to talk about today is a Stihl 084. I just picked it up. I really don’t need it, and got it to fix up and resell. I’d like input on either fixing, selling as-is, or parting out.

Specs on this saw:
084av
36in 404 bar and chain

The good:
-Looks to be all complete with hd air filter, unlimited coil with spark
-plastics are in decent shape
-muffler is in good shape but rusty (I pulled it off to check piston)
-bar is Stihl and looks straight and usable

The bad:
-Scored piston but cylinder doesn’t look to bad through spark plug hole
-case gasket is leaking (why piston is shot...)
-clutch cover is cracked
-has one cracked fin on the cylinder, but doesn’t affect it
-one of the lower muffler mount holes in the case was retapped for a different bolt
-no inner spike
-it appears there is no serial number...

I think that’s it. Is the serial number in the same spot other Stihls are? I have a 362c-m and an 036 pro, and both are by clutch cover. If the 084 is in the same place then it is gone. It doesn’t look like it was grounded off tho. So that’s a little confusing. And if I noticed the missing serial number I would not have purchased...

I read a lot about this saw and am aware that the parts still fetch some hefty prices. Also the saw in running condition will get some good money too. So the question stands, sell as-is (here or feebay), part out, or fix and sell.

Pics can be posted if wanted

Thank you,
Greg

DND 9000

DND 9000

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
It is possible that the crankcase was replaced. Replacement crankcases have no serial number on it. Normally the dealer who changes the crankcase has to stamp the new case with the serial number of the machine. So this means you can also not have a look on the inside of the case. On the inside the serial number is stamped in too. But in your case this will not be possible.

gmctyphoon

gmctyphoon

ArboristSite Operative
Thank you guys for the advice. I enjoy working on these saws, so I’m leaning on fixing it. The parts are a little bit more expensive for this saw then I’m used to, but I think it might be worth it.

It is possible that the crankcase was replaced. Replacement crankcases have no serial number on it. Normally the dealer who changes the crankcase has to stamp the new case with the serial number of the machine. So this means you can also not have a look on the inside of the case. On the inside the serial number is stamped in too. But in your case this will not be possible.

I took the tank off yesterday to find why it wasn’t hold a vac test. That’s when I found the case gasket blown out.
So yes, if I had to guess, I’d say the case half was replaced. Good call, thank you

Will this case split just like other Stihls?

Latest posts