Picked up a timber wolf today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RedFir Down

RedFir Down

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I will report back. I kinda wish I still had my 029 super to do a side by side comparison. But it sold faster than I expected. From just holding it the echo feels well balanced. I am expecting it to cut very well.
If you had done that comparison it would have only made you happier you bought the 590. The other day i compared a 029 to a CS-600 (both chains were equal and both were tuned) not even close. I would say the 600 is roughly 25-30% faster.

Jrapp

Jrapp

ArboristSite Member
The 590 is really smooth. Very little vibration. I was originally going to switch out the front handle for one like on the 600. But I'm not sure it would make any improvement.

Tractorsaw1

Tractorsaw1

ArboristSite Guru
These things are really getting cheap for NIB off the bay for barely over $300, real value that's getting harder to ignore. Anyone get a price from baileys on the 620? Might just get one of these rodeo saws myself.

cedarshark

cedarshark

Addicted to ArboristSite
I have a lot of respect for Echo. I have a 330 that runs well and is a solid limbing saw. I just bought an echo top handle from a liquidator that will not start but looks new. I will take some trash for this but IMHO, they are very close with Stihl and cheaper. Congrats on the saw...wish I could find one as a project.

Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
My brother just picked one up from the bay for a good price. We both are husky/jonsersed fans, but this one impressed us. Not broke in yet and cuts well with good a/v and good air filtration. The b/c not being of regular size and driver count is a bit funky.
duqa6emu.jpg
9a4amugy.jpg

Sent from my Z665C using Tapatalk

Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
What did you do to the muffler? I have seen one way so far. I just ran mine today!
Took a die grinder to the baffle plate under the deflecter. Removed about 3/4's of the shield(baffle) to let exhaust out quicker and with less restriction. Tried removing the baffle plate, but I thought it allowed exhaust to come up and hit more on the chainbrake handle.
If this makes no sense I can try to get some pics, but if you look into it I think you'll see what I did.

jughead500

jughead500

Sasquatch
When I muffler modded mine I only drilled a 1/2" hole in the flat spot under the deflector next to the tube.seems like all it done was create a flat spot at wot that I cant tune out.i'm gonna go a little bit more on opening it up soon.also going to measure the squish and see if its possible to ditch the base gasket.

BTY

ArboristSite Lurker
I pulled the base gasket on my 600p and put it back together with motoseal. I didn't see much of a difference. I only gained about 10 psi of compression with no noticeable gain in response or power. I don't remember exactly what the squish was after I removed the gasket but it still had 0.030+ of clearance. I ran it a while like that then decided to open up the muffler a bit which turned out to be not such a great idea.

I ended up with a flat spot on the top end as well. Seems like this motor needs a fair amount of back pressure to run right on the top end. I've replaced the base gasket and will end up brazing closed what I ground out on the muffler.

If I could do it over I would just remove the baffle plate under the exhaust deflector, trim the limiter tabs and run it. But you don't know till you try. :)

jughead500

jughead500

Sasquatch
True.I would like to open up the whole muffler and do some inside surgery.replacement mufflers are pretty pricey though.went through that on a fs250 muffler.be a little different if i still had oxygen and acetylene so I could braze.

rmh3481

rmh3481

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I pulled the base gasket on my 600p and put it back together with motoseal. I didn't see much of a difference. I only gained about 10 psi of compression with no noticeable gain in response or power. I don't remember exactly what the squish was after I removed the gasket but it still had 0.030+ of clearance. I ran it a while like that then decided to open up the muffler a bit which turned out to be not such a great idea.

I ended up with a flat spot on the top end as well. Seems like this motor needs a fair amount of back pressure to run right on the top end. I've replaced the base gasket and will end up brazing closed what I ground out on the muffler.

If I could do it over I would just remove the baffle plate under the exhaust deflector, trim the limiter tabs and run it. But you don't know till you try. :)

The flat spot that your finding is caused by the limited ignition. You can order the oem echo cs-620 open ignition from Baileys for around $80, which will also give you another 10 degrees of advance. The 620 also runs a slightly larger carb, HDA-316 vs HDA-268.

Latest posts