Picks of a homeowner romoving his own tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trost66

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Here are a few pic of a homeowner here in town removing his own tree. Pretty scary. He ladder. a few sets of scafle and a ladder. He took 5 sets of scafle and put it under the tree. Then her took a 20 ft ladder and tied it to the tree and climbed up and started cutting limbs off. What a guy will do to save a buck.

Aw man, you missed the point. ;) He's not just taking a tree down, he's showing off all his ropes. I'm guessing this fella may be a little familiar with this type of work.

I'm certainly not a climber and I don't know jack about how to go about it. But it does seem he has an awful lot of rope and chain and, and, and,

Well, did he get it down safe??

From the looks of the first pic it seems you're hiding behind another building. Is that cause you didn't want to be hit with falling debris?

From the looks of the first pic it seems you're hiding behind another building. Is that cause you didn't want to be hit with falling debris?

He lives in the neighor hood. He knows that we own a tree service. I didn't want to stand there and watch and make him feels really stupid. I figured he better consentrate on what he was doing.

He obviously has more time on his hands than anyone that I know of. I like the old pipe and bench system of barricade. How close is that aluminum ladder to the power line? :monkey:

Hey, maybe I can save myself some money and take those maples down by myself. I can use this guy's photos as a guide.

Haha thats insane, how to kill yourself 101. I suppose he must have some idea of what hes doing to attack that job...

Hey this guy knows something. He is wearing a saddle. Those chains are attatched to the tree in all the right areas for bracing against storms. Look at the two cut to branches directly behind him in the last pic. He cut under the branch and then from above. He knows something.

He lives in the neighor hood. He knows that we own a tree service. I didn't want to stand there and watch and make him feels really stupid. I figured he better consentrate on what he was doing.

You could talk to him when he is done for the day. Or even ring his doorbell. I doubt that he is afraid of the attention.

Nice

Please ask him where he got his hat,its obviously a very lucky hat.
I need a lucky hat.;)

It's obvious this fella is better equipped than many do-it-yourselfers. But, scaffolding and ladders? Why in tarnation didn't he get a set of gaffs?
Gotta love the manila ropes....though he does have one new looking white rope.

Good cuts? maybe..but there a few rip cuts that could indicate barberchair...

I'm thinking this guy must be in a construction biz where he has scaffolding and ropes at his disposal. Around here to even rent that much gear for a couple of days, you're well on your way to the price to have that tree down and gone.

Yeah, some undercuts, but also some wicked peels. Dude's learning as he goes. (Though on a removal I will use a peel when I need it.) Maybe this guy is not so dumb, just unable to part with a penny.

He's going to be stunned by the clean-up. DIYers always are.

Hope we can get pics of his work on the spar.

RedlineIt

He is a little better equipped than 99% of the DYI'ers I have seen do this. Little rough but he is getting the job done. Typical spring thing, gotta give that chainsaw some excersize by hacking on a tree while the weather is nice.

Larry

Last edited:
wow. no PPE except for that belt..... ladder on scaffold tied to tree. ropes everywhere...(what are all those ropes for? is he drying them?)

scary. :buttkick:

He's definitely not doing everything right, but he is doing better than some of my competition. It's like when a guy who owns a boat trailer thinks he can back a tractor trailer. He knows he has to turn the steering wheel opposite the direction he wants the trailer to go, but he's probably going to hit something important before he gets all the way back to the loading dock.

Hey, these pictures can actually help me out! My groundies love to pick on me about the number of ropes i'll sometimes have in a tree. These pictures prove that there are bigger rope freaks out there than me.:)

Back