pickup questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm shopping for a newer ford pickup. I'm finding lots for sale with the 6 litre turbo diesel engine. do any of you have this moter or know anything good or bad about them. When I see lots for sale it makes me nervous. I'm still running my 95 ford diesel with the 7.3 engine, with no problems. any advice on whats good or bad on any heavy pickups would be appreciated, nobody does a better review than the horse's mouth. thanks guys...burlman

i had an 03 F350 with the 6.0 needed the computer flashed, and the turbo went out at 24,000 miles. i use my truck for tree removal, and the rest of the time i beat the crap out of them:rock: that truck was lifted with 35" tires and an exhaust kit. i traded it for a 2006 F350 crew cab- with 32000 miles on it now i havent had a single mechanical problem. the door stickers and guards ( to keep other people from hitting you with their doors ) SUCK though. my door dinge protector strip thingys are peeling off... warrenty though. if you get an 05-06 year youll be fine.

my friend has an 08 king ranch with the new twin turbo motor... it is unbelievable:rock:

We have a 2003 F350 w/6.0, it has 70,000 miles. We have put 2 turbo's in, a full set of injectors, and other misc nickle and dime. We also have a 97 F350 w/7.3 and 125,000 miles. Other than a few gaskets and glow plugs we havn't touched the motor. The 6.0 will hands down out perform the 7.3. I would suggest buying 05 or newer, or 02 or older. Depending on what you want to spend. Watch tranny's also. If high miles and an auto, if they havn't done annual main. could be problems. Manuals are usually a safe bet.

Is your 95 underpowered? You said you are having no problems with it. If so why bother with the expense of a new truck with potential problems when you know what you've already got?

Not really underpowered, Just was a truck short. We generally run our pickups into the ground. Company's growing. Not supposed to have troubles with new equip. But I think we all know better. 100,000 mile warranty w/ $100.00 deductible has helped.

Not really underpowered, Just was a truck short. We generally run our pickups into the ground. Company's growing. Not supposed to have troubles with new equip. But I think we all know better. 100,000 mile warranty w/ $100.00 deductible has helped.

Pizmiester,
I was speaking specifically to burlman. But in any case welcome to Arboristsite!:D

ol' 95

I am not having any problem with THe 7.3, she's got 350,000 kilometers on it now. I bought it second hand, with 120000 on it. It has plowed snow for 6 big quebec winters. I pusah a 8ft boss v-plow with it. best plow truck set up I ever had yet, diesel torque, 5 speed manual tranny, posi rears and that plow, throw on a set of chains and you might as well paint it CAT yellow. It will still live as a plow truck and back road use. It is just looking old and trips to town are starting to wave flags at the unforgiveing qubec transport police. can,t justify spending big money on a make over.

the 6.0 is hands down junk.

nice power. but temporary power, lol the motors are junk after 25,000 miles.

we'll see what the new 6.4 twin turbo does for 07

It is just looking old and trips to town are starting to wave flags at the unforgiveing qubec transport police. can,t justify spending big money on a make over.

Hate to sound like a broken record but how much will you spend on a new truck?

I know what you mean

I just get to a point that the inevitable will happen when you least need it to. and the old truck is at that stage,I have 60 places that need plowing in the winter, alot of them are long drives and shared roads. The old truck will still be at it, but I like to have a backup plan. I'm looking in the 15 to$20,000 dollar range for a newer used truck. I know you are thinking if I sunk a decent amount of monet inthe '95 I would be further ahead. Well we need a tax claim for next year's income tax, all the toys in the yard are paid for.

I'd be looking at a Jap truck before I went with a Ford,I'm on my fourth Jap truck and I love them..

I'd be looking at a Jap truck before I went with a Ford,I'm on my fourth Jap truck and I love them..

Rolla,
Can you recommend a Jap truck available in the US that will do what the F-350 will do?:notrolls2:

I won't disagree with you on jap quality, My first truck was an 1980 toy 4X4 PICKUP well being 18, and dunken bets on who 's truck was better than who's that toy took a beatining and still was raring to go, traded it up for an'82 and put 180,000 miles of off road fun on that one too. Then them engineers at toyota went and city fied the models, with that low torsion bar front end, just so them weekend outdoorsmen wouldn,t get bounced around to much. I looked at the new full size toyota, nice machine, but didn't realize it was 4X4 till I saw the switch in the dash, a little low on the front end. I cant see hanging my 800 pound boss V-plow on the front of one of them. Ford created the super-duty series for us guys who need a real work truck and don't mind a little stiffer ride

A Jap truck, Yeah okay, Might as welll have a civic towing a lil red wagon. The Japanese have no Idea how to build a real, powerful, mans truck. They are fun to play with, because they are toys. When the work has to get done You need a Dodge or a Ford. A Jap truck would cringe at the things my Dodge is capable of.

A Jap truck, Yeah okay, Might as welll have a civic towing a lil red wagon. The Japanese have no Idea how to build a real, powerful, mans truck. They are fun to play with, because they are toys. When the work has to get done You need a Dodge or a Ford. A Jap truck would cringe at the things my Dodge is capable of, and does everyday.

I'm shopping for a newer ford pickup. I'm finding lots for sale with the 6 litre turbo diesel engine. do any of you have this moter or know anything good or bad about them. When I see lots for sale it makes me nervous. I'm still running my 95 ford diesel with the 7.3 engine, with no problems. any advice on whats good or bad on any heavy pickups would be appreciated, nobody does a better review than the horse's mouth. thanks guys...burlman

Burlman,

I have heard the six litres are no good at all I have 3 or 4 freinds with them and none of them are very happy.If you are looking for a good truck get Dodge with a Cummins it will last you forever:laugh:

Latest posts

Back