Pics of falling a few nice trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fantastic pics! Thanks for taking the time to post them. when you were cutting the jack seat was your bar bowed a lot or is that just the picture? How long is the bar anyway and what model saw are you using?

Yes the bar was bowed that much.
The big saw of the day was a Stihl 084 with a 50" Cannon super bar.

Well done

Good photos and to the untrained eye you guys sure look like you know what you're doing.

I'm curious how many Jeffery Pine there are in Alabama.

Good photos and to the untrained eye you guys sure look like you know what you're doing.

I'm curious how many Jeffery Pine there are in Alabama.

LOL, I have never seen a Jeffery or Ponderosa Pine in Alabama. But they are yellow pine and very simular to the native yellow pine in the south east, just a lot bigger average size.
And as for the "untrained eye", I will respectfully disagree. You have made way to many educated comments to have not been well trained.

Last edited:
LOL, I have never seen a Jeffery or Ponderosa Pine in Alabama. But they are yellow pine and very simular to the native yellow pine in the south east, just a lot bigger average size.
And as for the "untrained eye", I will respectfully disagree. You have made way to many educated comments to have not been well trained.

Yeah, I forgot to look at your location to see that Ponderosa was impossible. I wasn't aware that there were pines that big down there. It looks dang near identical to the Ponderosas out here, but perhaps a bit straighter and less knotty. I've never heard of a Jeffery pine, is that the same as a Longleaf (or similar)?

Yeah, I forgot to look at your location to see that Ponderosa was impossible. I wasn't aware that there were pines that big down there. It looks dang near identical to the Ponderosas out here, but perhaps a bit straighter and less knotty. I've never heard of a Jeffery pine, is that the same as a Longleaf (or similar)?

These pics where taken in California.
The only way I can tell a Jeffery from a Ponderosa is by the pine cones and the hinge wood. The cones on a Ponderosa have sharp outward points, the Jeffery has smooth downward points. The Jeffery generally has stronger hinge wood.

Last edited:
lol

LOL...that's ok joe, he thinks he is the "Master" tree faller..........I doubt he has cut 1,000 trees....if that........lol We'd leave him in the dust around here........I have more tricks up my sleeve than he has made cuts.......lol TRUE.....in the woods felling timber expirence is what counts.... For out west you guy's look like you got those techniques down pat......... Like I have said in the past if somebody thinks they're the master at falling trees....THEY are the ones going to get hurt.........I admit I'm not the "master of all masters", but nobody is, I don't care who you are.................cept' maybe gypo.....haha Talk to any old timer.......they'll straighten your A$$ out......:greenchainsaw: :cheers: :chainsaw:

ok silly question. whats with the lemon squeezer helmets?

it that some kind of USA standard?

They make it look like those photos should be in black and white...

You mean the full brim tin lids? I don't know if its a standard or not. But they sure do look a lot better than the ball cap style brain buckets. I know my full brim keeps a good amount of stuff from running down the back of my hickory. It also helps by keeping the back of your neck dry. Thats the biggy for me.

Osha

Those are OSHA approved hard hats, mandatory on a lot jobs in California. I even have to wear them sometimes when I am laying out a house for foundation trenching, the sky might fall on me! Some jobsites require them as soon as you get out of your vehicle. OSHA= occupational safety and hazard assoc., or something like that.

Hey Joe, where you cuttin them biggies at? I saw some guys cut a few down on Waters drive a few moths ago, those homeowners have been cuttin and splittin for months! And they still have a good bunch of wood in the front yard. Are they beetle trees? I would imagine so, cuttin them babies around here takes an act of Congress! I am over in the Cedarpines Park area, how bout we hook up and have a cold one someday? Maybe at the Stockade for a brew and a steak. Never been there,the steaks any good?

Occupational Safety and Health Administration. Fed's watching out for workers and making sure the toilet seats are the proper size. And why a separate agency under the CDC exists called NIOSH is beyond me, but we have both.

Steve the Kiwi, it's the US version of http://www.osh.govt.nz/, and conveniently enough, both are run by each respective country's Department of Labor (or Labour, in NZ :))

Sorry for the late reply. I have been out of town and away from the computer all week.
The full brim aluminum hard hats are more about status than a standard. The plastic hard hats meet the OSHA standard.

Those are OSHA approved hard hats, mandatory on a lot jobs in California. I even have to wear them sometimes when I am laying out a house for foundation trenching, the sky might fall on me! Some jobsites require them as soon as you get out of your vehicle. OSHA= occupational safety and hazard assoc., or something like that.

Hey Joe, where you cuttin them biggies at? I saw some guys cut a few down on Waters drive a few moths ago, those homeowners have been cuttin and splittin for months! And they still have a good bunch of wood in the front yard. Are they beetle trees? I would imagine so, cuttin them babies around here takes an act of Congress! I am over in the Cedarpines Park area, how bout we hook up and have a cold one someday? Maybe at the Stockade for a brew and a steak. Never been there,the steaks any good?

Those trees where over near Angelas Oaks.
I have cut a lot of trees in the Cederpines Park area. I just finished a job between Crest Forest and Playground. I also worked the FS land between Crest Forest and Waters and the FS land along Mojave River Rd, and a number of small private jobs.
The Stockade has as good of steaks as you will find on the mountian. I am practically your neighbor, any excuse for drinks and steak is a good one. I will PM you my phone #.

Here are a few trees we fell today.
Some body please attach these for me. For some reason my computer will not let me.
Pic 1 is Steve facing one up.
Pic 2 is sending it on its way.
3 is crippling up an old snag to attempt to push it over with another tree.
4 is sending the push tree on its way.
5 is impact.
attachment.php
[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

Now those are some nice logs. The trees that I see in that TV show don't appear to be anywhere near that nice. Maybe I just don't know what I'm looking at.

Latest posts

Back