Pics of your splitter modifications

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iamspt

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So my son and I are outsie splitting wood. Pat says... hey dad we need to put something here to catch the logs. So I go into the shop and fabricate a small table that rests inside the I beam for him. My wife is like...why can't you go a day without modifying something (as a joke). This made me think...what mods have you done to your splitter to make it best fit your needs?

i haven't changed much to mine since i built it. i have designs to put those "tables" next to the wedge...just too lazy to fabricate them.

i'm also working on a panel to show pressure(s) and oil temperature. i have the gauges, jut need the ambition and time to set it up.

pic's from you first please..

So my son and I are outsie splitting wood. Pat says... hey dad we need to put something here to catch the logs. So I go into the shop and fabricate a small table that rests inside the I beam for him. My wife is like...why can't you go a day without modifying something (as a joke). This made me think...what mods have you done to your splitter to make it best fit your needs?

new guy with splitter pics

Where do I start on splitter mods? I bought my Didier new in 1980, it was a low priced [750.00] one with small non towable wheels. First off, a pair of hubs & rims from a Chevy Biscayne, that raised it up a little. Used it for years that way, until a few back problems forced some changes. I raised it up almost to waist level [i'm 6' 2"], and built the log lift. Should have done that long ago -
a>
I had to add a bigger hydraulic tank to handle the loader, so I made that from an old propane tank. 2 years ago, I had an idea about a woodcatcher on the front, so I didn't have to go & pick up all those pieces to be resplit, it came out like this -
a>
And, the most recent thing was "wouldn't it be great if I never had to lift this & push it manually, so I built a hydraulic drive for the front wheel -
a>
I took the jack off, made up a minibike wheel, added the hydraulic motor & a seperate detent valve. The tiller arm steers it, it just slides off to be out of the way. What next for this year?

Mike Van,

Nice job. You have all the right accessories now. Nice fabrication.

Good to have another local guy on board.

im new to this but i think i have the pic attached agong with my work done today

How about some detailed pics on that log lift Id like to see how you set it up

Only ones I have right now - One shows the hyd line hookups, open center valves from Northern Tool. The "out" hose from the original valve goes to the "in" on the second one.
a>
There's a third valve not shown now for the front drive wheel. Next photo just shows the underside of the lift, had to weld a bracket to the main beam of the splitter,
a>
I made up the tray out of scrap. The ram is a small 2" bore 8" stroke, with the 11 gpm pump, you can launch a chunk right over if you don't feather the valve. Once you get used to it, it's not a problem. I've picked up 26" dia red oak, 2' long with it. Can't believe I used to do that with my back.

The ram is a small 2" bore 8" stroke, with the 11 gpm pump, you can launch a chunk right over if you don't feather the valve. Once you get used to it, it's not a problem

a flow control valve will take care of that.

nice set up!!

i love the table on thebackside that collects the split wood.

i did something similar with a large collection chute that feeds the conveyor.

Just starting my mods. Raising it 9", moving the armature over on the axle and adding in/out tables. Plan to take pics as I go but mine isn't much of a project.

Just pulled the tank/motor/pump/valve off the other day in 21 degree weather. Good thing I built it so 4 bolts takes that entire unit off in one piece!

Harry K

Latest posts

Back