Pic's of your team/climbing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No helmet because I really never THOUGHT about wearing one, I mean, I never wore a helmet at any other thing I have done. Not that any of you would care, but the man in that picture, the man that has taught me everything I know, I'm sure has cut himself 2 times, I'm thinking 3. And has fell out of a tree once. I'll get a picture of the scars if I can.

Anyways, we were at a job taking down a Cypress tree and everything was on the ground. The tree had been removed and we were cutting it up. Daniel was over cutting the stump down and he was using our Husky with a 36" bar, next thing I know, the saw stops and he walks over to me, calm as can be, and says, "I think I'm going to have to go." I said to him " Why, where are you going to go?". He then replies with "Well, you tell me..." and opens up the hole in his pants. there was about a 5 inch cut, about 1" wide on his leg. I rushed him to the E.R. and the whole way, hes poking it, sticking his finger down in it and messing with it.
When we get to the E.R. they give him morphine. He then started to help the doctor stitch it up!!!!

I couldn't have EVER done that. When it was all over, he cut 1/2 way through his shin bone, and cracked it the other way through.
He still has the piece of bone to this day, from his leg.

Now, ever since then, I pay WAY more attention to what I'm doing with a saw. So I know you all are right about PPE.

Hmmm, its getting late and I got a job tomarrow.

When I get home I'll tell you all how I cut a mans finger all the way off with a climbing rope about 2 months ago...

:alien:

Originally posted by Florida16
No helmet because I really never THOUGHT about wearing one, I mean, I never wore a helmet at any other thing I have done. Not that any of you would care, but the man in that picture, the man that has taught me everything I know, I'm sure has cut himself 2 times, I'm thinking 3. And has fell out of a tree once. I'll get a picture of the scars if I can.

Anyways, we were at a job taking down a Cypress tree and everything was on the ground. The tree had been removed and we were cutting it up. Daniel was over cutting the stump down and he was using our Husky with a 36" bar, next thing I know, the saw stops and he walks over to me, calm as can be, and says, "I think I'm going to have to go." I said to him " Why, where are you going to go?". He then replies with "Well, you tell me..." and opens up the hole in his pants. there was about a 5 inch cut, about 1" wide on his leg. I rushed him to the E.R. and the whole way, hes poking it, sticking his finger down in it and messing with it.
When we get to the E.R. they give him morphine. He then started to help the doctor stitch it up!!!!

I couldn't have EVER done that. When it was all over, he cut 1/2 way through his shin bone, and cracked it the other way through.

Now, ever since then, I pay WAY more attention to what I'm doing with a saw. So I know you all are right about PPE.

When I get home I'll tell you all how I cut a mans finger all the way off with a climbing rope about 2 months ago...

:rolleyes: :dizzy:

Lame!

Chad, Being calm in an emergency is good. Evidently your friend kept his cool -good for him. He cut himself. BAD for him. You had a part in someone losing a finger. BAD. Your buddy is 21 and has had multiple saw accidents. BAD. Some of the guys came down hard on you. Sorry. It is important that you try to adopt a "teach me " attitude. We don't all agree around here but we are pretty solid about taking PROPER care of trees and PROPER care of ourselves. We'll argue hard about whether guys in hot humid climates should wear chainsaw pants or chaps or not but we all understand about eyes, ears and noggin. -I've always worn eye and ear protection. I used to fudge on the hardhat. Fortunately I wised up. The public DOES notice how we dress and whether we wear safety gear-I get jobs where the clients actually mention that they hired me because they had seen me working with gear and figured that since I take care of myself I probably would be careful with their trees.:cool:

Lets assume that Daniel also started tree-climbing full-time at the age of 16.  That means he's 5 years ahead of Chad, experience-wise.  Even that difference in time sounds a little like the teacher who's been assigned a class teaching an unfamiliar topic which requires staying at least one lesson ahead of the class.

Chad, <i>were</i> you "beginner" here and what does your company insurance carrier have to say about you operating power equipment and/or leaving the ground to work?

Just curious.

Glen

Originally posted by John Paul Sanborn
Ummm, I don't think you tried any reason Brandon, just started to lay into him.

Maybe I should call you Rocky Jr.?

I guess FLA16 did not read a lot of the posts here, or he would have been more prepaired for the flames.

I do have to agree with some of the intent , if not the method of the critisism.

By removing too much, of this dynamic mass the tree needs to go into stored reserves to flush out new leaves. When you do a prune at 11 & 1 the tree is allways trying to catch up, grows slow, and is more suseptable to insects and diseases.

We would gladly try to help you learn more about tree care and physiology if you would like.

Next I will explain why hooking a trim is bad. If you would like me too....

I'm not sure how much you've seen of this guys recent posts. Not even including this thread. I'm just a little tired of the Hack type talk and slow learner type mentality which comes w/ this guy.

Secondly, i think the last thing he need is a lesson in tree biology. Common sense and a set of ansi guide lines might be a better choice. Who knows maybe someone should share one of John Ball's audio/video talks w/ him. Maybe something like this might wake him up.
I don't take it lightly the way he speaks of others being hurt do to carelessness. Let alone a man losing a finger to which sounds like it may have been mr. 16's fault...That's really cool!:rolleyes:

There go the insurance rates...

hey we all gotta start somewhere, firstly with ppe! think yourself lucky, we gotta were chainsaw pants with full protection all the time here in blighty. you soon get used to it, if you get too hot, have a break! simple. drink plenty, it aint rocket science. hard hateye n ear protection, must haves, its like the man said, by 25 youll be deaf n blind without it. common sense is the key, without it youll be knackered. spikes for pruning? who the hell taught you to 'climb'? read the book and get some skills. youll enjoy it more.

are you for real? or pulling my chain? i give up. read through this entire website before you ever ask that q again

Re: Without Spikes???

Originally posted by ArtifexArboreus
How in Hell am I supposed to get in the tree without spikes???

I'll take a stab at this one!
uhhhh, footlocks? mechanical acsenders?

try using big head while climbing, not your little one:D

What's wrong with spikes??

So your telling me there are other ways to get in the tree. Nice!! I've been meaning to find another way as most of my customer base gets pissed when I spike up their tree's. I usually have to make some stuff up like, "oh, don't worry about that, it's good for the cambium, it promotes new growth." They usually eat it up. If anyone here could help me in learning alternatives to spiking, that would be great.

i have no problem with mr 16, he seems to be here to learn. besides, i'm a hack too.

but you, i have yet to see you say anything constructive

your sig seems like something of a catch 22, if you keep dipping, your teeth could fall out, any thoughts?

Originally posted by Florida16

Okay, now I'm very new to arborist work...pretty much everyone on here is going to blow me away when it comes to arbor knowledge. It's just something I'm interested and I'm considering going and getting my AS in arboriculture after I finish my BS in turfgrass.

I will tell you this, I'm experienced in the green industry and I'll start from the top.

I'm thoroughly disappointed you dropped out of school.

I can't even believe you climb with no safety gear. Tree work is one of the most dangerous jobs you can have. Respect that.

Your "mentor" sounds like a complete yayhoo. Why the hell was he poking his finger down in his wound? Did he want to get it infected? Is he mentally ill? I do golf course work and they're kinda half ass at the course I work at...I refuse to do any chainsaw work without chaps, glasses, ear plugs, gloves, steel toed boots...I'd really prefer to have a helmet with a face mask but we don't have one. Safety first.

I'd think you'd have the sense to have some safety sense...you're more likely to be seriously injured without it...and what are you going to do (heaven forbid) if you get seriously injured and can't do tree work anymore? You have no education...I don't even think you can get in the military without a high school diploma...oh but you can't get in the military because you were seriously injured. Cutting someone's finger off is not something to brag about.

You say you have a passion for tree work. I applaud that. I'm sure it's just like the passion I have for the green industry. If you're that passionate, you should want to learn to do everything right, and to look your best while working. Take pride in yourself and you work.

Something makes sense to me though...if you're working with your dad, and he let you drop out of school, and you're doing the work you do....it all adds up.

Latest posts

Back