Pine for firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tld400

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Everyone I have always talked to told me not to burn pine. They say it clogs the chimney up. Is that a bunch of bs or is it true. I am wondering because where I live there is a lot of it cut up every where on the side of the road since hurricane Sandy. I just want to see if it is worth my time t split it.

Some people have no hardwoods at all and burn it year round. There's nothing wrong with burning pine if it's been cut and split to dry before you use it. A few years back I had gotten stuck with several cords of it and I broke down and split it all. Burned almost ten cords of it over the winter but I was around to feed the stove every hour or so as it just didnt last long.

I'd hate to not have some oak or something around to burn overnight but don't be shy about burning it. It will make some heat for whatever little money you'd have in getting it ready to feed to the stove.

Any well seasoned wood is useful for heating. Free is the best. Softwoods such as pine can be safely burned indoors, but you will not realize the long burn times of hardwoods. Pine will make a hot quick fire though and it's great for getting things going in the mornings. The only thing that clogs up a chimeny is lack of maintenance.

Make sure its well seasoned and it will burn just fine.

In BC lodgepole pine is a staple firewood (especially since the pine beetle infestation has left an unlimited supply of dead standing trees, free for the taking with a firewood permit). Pine won't burn as long as your hardwoods, but it WILL burn and do so safely. If you follow normal cleaning practices for your chimney, pine won't hurt you.

By where I live it seams like everyone burns oak or other hardwood encluding me. I drive by multiple houses every day that have it all cut and stacked up by curb since storm. I guess I will have to pick some up and get it seasoned for the fall when its not as cold. Save hardwood for cold temp. days. thanks

Some nice dry pine is just the thing to get a fire going. a couple of splits on the most meager coal bed will have a roaring fire going in minutes. I wouldn't want to burn nothing but pine, but it seems like I am always scrounging for a few pieces so I wouldn't want to be without it. I take as much as I can get.

It does good when mixed with some hardwoods.

This. I'm a equal oppertunity burner but it should be mixed in.
I did make the mistake last year of stacking two whole rows of just softwood(pine, spruce,cedar,tamarack) because I was cleaning up a large area of it. Had a hard time keeping the fire going in the OWB.

I burned a lot of pine through a Jotul 373 indoor wood burner. I had it nicely dried through the summer, and it burnt lovely. It was good to light, burned hot, and lasted ok as long as the air was shut right down. The downside was that it takes up more volume in the woodshed for the same amount of energy as a a hardwood, I I was always bringing more to the fire.

Had the chimney swept after the first season, and the guy couldnt get anything out of it because it was so clean. I reckon it was because it was nice and dry, and the Jotul burned it so hot.

This year I got mostly hardwood, and I have been looking for some pine to mix in because I like burning it :)

Out here in the west that is what most people burn. lodge pole is most peoples first choice. spruce burns good but is to knotty.
pine will not last the night, but is much easier to start.

Well... the pine = creosote talk is a half-truth. Origin possibly from people who thought it was OK to burn green, just because it would. :)

Pine burns clean when fully seasoned. But I guess that would apply to most any wood species.

Cottonwood Beats It

Given the option to burn pine or burn cottonwood, I'd choose cottonwood. I have more of both lying around than anyone wants. Some pine splits worse than cottonwood and throws pine tar at you along with it.

That being said, I'll burn something else, such as elm, maple, ash, walnut, mulberry, locust, and hackberry. I have plenty of these also.

My father had several ponderosa pines at his house that had died over the years. We took them down early this summer, all averaging around 24" diameter. Split them and stacked them up and thanks to the oh-so-dry summer, we are both burning them now. I have noticed no creosote build up and they are excellent for getting a fire started quick, but like has been stated above, do not last long. Follow up with some oak or that hard, stringy elm and you've got a nice bed of coals all night long....

I burn a 70/30 mix of hardwood/softwood. In most reloads I add a stick or 2 of pine, spruce or poplar, on the bottom of the firebox. I find it allows the fire to burn hotter, and gets the hardwood going nicely. I also use it to stretch my supply of the better woods and use it in shoulder season fires to get the house temperature up quickly. Softwoods have their place if seasoned properly.

I burn a lot of pine in my OWB, in fact I prefer it when I don't need the coal build up. In the summer when there are long periods of time between burn cycles pine will sometimes go out where hardwoods would restart. In the months of October, November and most of December I burned pine almost exclusively.

The trick to burning pine and any wood for that matter is to properly season it first. Pine seasons in 6 to 8 months when cut to size and split. Another plus IMO. Oak will take 2 years to season and I can't get far enough ahead to let wood season that long. Yes I can burn green wood in my OWB but get more useable heat out of dry wood.

Take all of that free pine that you want. It will heat your house just fine and won't burn it down in the process. It smells like a campfire when it's burning too. :msp_thumbup:

Some people have no hardwoods at all and burn it year round. There's nothing wrong with burning pine if it's been cut and split to dry before you use it.

Somewhere, there was mention that all wood contains the appox same amount of heat per pound when dry. Yep, I burn a bunch of pine up here. Lodgepole, Ponderosa, etc. We kind of got used to it. I got some stuff in the stove now that is really loaded in pitch. Burning like it is covered in diesel!! :msp_w00t:

Somewhere, there was mention that all wood contains the appox same amount of heat per pound when dry. Yep, I burn a bunch of pine up here. Lodgepole, Ponderosa, etc. We kind of got used to it. I got some stuff in the stove now that is really loaded in pitch. Burning like it is covered in diesel!! :msp_w00t:

It is a weight/volume issue.

Having said that I know some people who prefer Aspen for a quicker hotter fire, Pine will season over the Summer, I think the Aspen comment is because they cut in October for that winter.

Out here in the West Pine Snags are everywhere.
I burn almost all Ponderosa Pine, some Pinyon Pine.
It burns great, very little ash and very easy to get.
Keep it covered though, it will sponge up water quick...
The saw dust sure smells good!

Latest posts

Back