PINE? for firewood?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freemind

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Excuse me if I seem ignorant, but I was allways told to NEVER burn a softwood like pine. Even after being dried, it was supposed to creasote up your chiminy terrible.

Am I under the wrong impression?

Excuse me if I seem ignorant, but I was allways told to NEVER burn a softwood like pine. Even after being dried, it was supposed to creasote up your chiminy terrible.

yes you are wrong. As long as pine is dry it is fine.

If you consider that most Canadian and PNW burners heat their places primarily with softwood, it has to be a myth. Any green wood will creosote up your chimney worse than dry wood will. The key is to keep your stove temps up.

This bit of sage advice brought to you by a drugstore cowboy who has never owned a wood stove. He has read a lot though, must count for something... LOL

Ian

I've been burning pine all winter this year for the first time, and i dont notice a difference in creosote build up compared to burning only hardwoods.

I cut about 2 cords pine, 4 cords hardwood this year. Have burnt well over a cord of pine so far.

The coolest thing about pine is that when it is seasoned ANYBODY can start the fire easy.

Burn it hot but not so hot that you get meltdown! Cut bigger chunks to get longer burns, normal "firewood" size with pine will only burn for about 45 min.

Remember that most wood has the same heat content in BTU's/pound. The difference with hardwoods is the density is much higher, meaning more available BTU's per cubic foot/cord.

So yes, the "never burn pine" warning is a bit of an old wives tale.

Well folks, I appreciate the education. Guess if I see a pine that needs a cuttin', I won't be worried about burning it.

Thanks!

I burn only hardwoods in my woodstove, and clean my chimney EVERY year. I have a manufactured chiminey (essentially round double walled pipe durapipe) and this may have something to do with it but when I clean my chiminey I could actually just blow out the ash because there is so little in there. No gunk or hard buildup= No creasote. I sweep it out anyway just to be sure. Now I do keep a small supply of pine on hand that I occassionally use for kindling as it does burn very easily and very hot. From my experience with the fire dept which I ran with for many years, when we have a chiminey fire it is normally due to people burning green unseasoned hardwoods and / or alot of pine and NOT cleaning their chimineys reguarly. When you let all the creasote build up in the chiminey and then start a really hot fire (such as with pine) the extreme heat ignites the creasote and then you'll be standing outside looking at a roman candle coming from you chimney and hoping that the fire dept gets there before it gets into your walls. Many people burn pine and seem to do OK with it but I'd bet there are on top of their chimney care and maintenence. My advice is stick to your seasoned hardwoods (they'll burn much longer) and burn the pine / softwoods in moderation, and KEEP YOUR CHIMINEY CLEAN.

If you consider that most Canadian and PNW burners heat their places primarily with softwood, it has to be a myth. Any green wood will creosote up your chimney worse than dry wood will. The key is to keep your stove temps up.

This bit of sage advice brought to you by a drugstore cowboy who has never owned a wood stove. He has read a lot though, must count for something... LOL

Ian

Haywood hit it right on the mark. There are no hardwoods way up north. Its a big myth. I would let them people who told you keep thinking that and you harvest all the free pine you can get. It doesnt have as many BTUs as oak and other hardwoods but if its available grab it.:cheers:

All we have in NW Montana is Firs, Pines, Hemlock, Spruce, and Tamarack... Of course we have Cotton Wood, Quaking Aspen, Birch, and Weeping Willow... But they are considered a poorer firewood around here.

convincing people

Ive been able to change the minds of only a few rednecks around here that it is really not gonna burn down the house with that there pine,yet they will go and split n cut for the week ,and burn greeeeennn.Dont get it at all,and they look at me like a flimflam man or something.:buttkick:

Ian

Sound's like you must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.:laugh:

Andy

I have burned @ 1 1/2 cord so far. It burns clean (mine is very dry), chimney clean, starts easy. I have no problems:)

pine wife likes it

i own a crane service so i take trees down with a arborist in the area.
he had some pine in his neighbors yard that had to be moved so he cut and split 10 or so cord and dropped it of for me to burn in my new owb. it is very dry lite it with a match. he split it big because he new it was going through the new wood doctor. OK would i burn pine next year would i take 10 cord next year of all pine oh yeah i would that stuff is great the wife loves it its liter that oak witch I've got it split and ready to go to but not seasoned. so the
pine is great do i have to get the wife to load the thing in the middle of the day with pine yes if it is 15 below like today is. if it is 30 no all day with pine.
so being I've got an in on all the pine i want I'm putting my order in for 10 cord for next year and let the oak season a another year. smoke try burning sugar maple man does it smoke.:popcorn:

I burn mostly everything that gets in the way on our property.....as long as it has time to ......dry.....that's right.....dry......you heard right.......dry.

:buttkick: :cheers:

You mean you don't wait for it to season? :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Ian

Pine for firewood

I have been adding pine in my outdoor wood furnace to clear up charcoal from hickory that I have been burning. Pine burns fine ! I throw big chunks of it in, or a 2foot long piece of the trunk. Hickory leaves a lot of hot coals behind. When feeding the furnace twice a day, it is hard to burn them out. I am away through the day and have to fill it to get through until i get home. That's where the pine mixed in works well to keep the ashes down.

There is truth in that, but the creasote diffrance is not large enough to pass on all the pine you can get out here in the Pacific NWet! Alot of people in my "hood" snub there noses' at pine, they want red fir only! That would be great, but white"piss" fir and pine are the most common here. Pine burns hot, fast and piss fir smells like, well, piss! But I would never turn down wood!:confused: It's cold in the winter, I would rather have wood to burn than sit around and be cold and proud! Everyonce in awhile you burn hot, oak or walnut or just hot, burn out the creasote, don't worry about it.

I burn mostly everything that gets in the way on our property.....as long as it has time to ......dry.....that's right.....dry......you heard right.......dry.

:buttkick: :cheers:

I might have to try that.......Has anyone ever burn Yucca trees before:monkey:

Latest posts

Back