Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For anyone in the BC Fraser Valley area that's interested (Lawrence...), a guy in Sechelt has a 24" Alaskan mill with TWO Pioneer 650 powerheads running it for sale on Craigslist for $200. The mill alone would be worth that much new, though this one looks like the model sold by Stihl for many years, not a true Granberg Alaskan:

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/nvn/tls/1405348343.html

The saws appear to be in pretty decent shape. I can't imagine needing TWO 650s for a 24" mill - one should have plenty of torque to eat through that much wood; the limiting factor would be chain speed with those old beasts - and two of them won't speed that up at all.

Last edited:
Yeah, it would be a great setup for milling really wide stuff, say 4-6', but 24"? Somebody likes to work more than necessary - that's a LOT of weight for milling 24" lumber. That'd be like me using my 090 & 33" bar to mill 8" wood (which I have done just for kicks BTW).

Mill setup!

Hello Brad and Others
Brad you know what I was going to contact you about the very same ad.Great minds think alike,LOL.Would you say that the deal would be worth it.The one 650 looks to be in good shape,but the seller notes some problems.Only problem is that's a costly trip when the ferry ride is factored in.I am mulling it over though.What are your thoughts Brad and anyone else
Lawrence
P.S. Sorry Brad, I guess you have already stated your thoughts

Last edited:
If the mill was an actual Granberg Alaskan, I'd be willing to throw a few bones at ya for that if you didn't want it, but I'm not so sure about those Stihl ones with the rollers - I think they only work with one bar length (without changing the rollers out) and aren't infinitely adjustable like the Granbergs. I'd have to see it first-hand before deciding on that one. I have been wanting a 24" mill badly though to slab cants - the 36" mill is a bit of overkill for that even with a much shorter bar mounted & is hard to balance on narrower pieces. I'd be adding a single 066 or some such to the mill though, not two friggin' ~35lb behemoths!

The saws alone are probably worth the money if you wouldn't need to drop a whole bunch more cash on parts. I agree the ferry ride might be a bit prohibitive, unless you were already heading over there for some reason. What does a ferry ride cost now anyway? It's been probably over a dozen years since I took it. Fellow member "parrisw" is in Victoria (and I think a couple others, but I can't remember); maybe he'd go and take a look at them for you?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/grd/1416433554.html $25

attachment.php

I've a soft spot in my heart or head not certain which. GL
Lou

Just went over to my neighbor's house and he showed me his "new" saw, it's a Pioneer 450 that needed a throttle cable to run that he was given! Pretty cool.

32" Cannon Bar

I have a 32" older Cannon Bar for the larger P series saws that I really do not need. I will sell or trade if anybody is interested pm me. It is 404 pitch and .63 kerf. The chain is Stihl and is approx. 40% to 50% life left. The bar has the older Oregon roller tip on it. I can e-mail pics if anybody is interested.

Ed, I received about two-thirds of the parts today. It was mostly Pioneer but a fair bit of other stuff as well. I posted on the Poulan thread to get rid of some of the XXV parts. There were four new cylinders, a 1200A, a P38, a P42 and a P51 jug. There is a P62 piston and a P12 piston but the others were for other makes and have no numbers. There's about twenty .404 rim sprockets, and an ignition for a P50 (a good backup for mine), an electronic coil for a P26E, some mixed air filters (nothing for the small P-series), oil caps, a P40 muffler, starter handles, 20 clutch drums (mostly non-Pioneer), a flywheel, a few gaskets, pulleys and some hardware. I didn't get the screws I was looking for yet. There was a rubber air filter boot, two plastic brake handles, spikes for a P40, and plastic pulley bushings. One thing I was happy about was a bag of bar nuts for the big P-series, the ones with the shoulder on them. Another thing was three brake bands for P-series. They cost $40 new if you can find them.
Overall, I got a heck of a deal on this stuff and I can't wait for the last box to get here. It's over 40 lbs. and has a parts 1074 in it and should have some chains as well. I'll post an update later.

Pioneer parts

Hi Brendon
Sounds like you made a good score withe the parts from back east.Anything in there for backup parts for my P41 Western.
Thanks
Lawrence

Back