Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pioneer and Poulan and Poulan Pro parts

Okay this might be just too big of a question to get a answer to but I will try anyways.After Pioneer was absorbed by Partner and then Poulan,what Partner parts and what Poulan Pro or just plain Poulan parts are if at all, interchangeable with Pioneer saws? I hope this question is clear.
Thanks
Lawrence

Ok Pioneer heads, I need your attention for a second....hehe..

Some of you know that I found an P51 a while ago with a bad ignition coil, so I have been keeping my eyes focused on a new coil. On a local craigslist site, I found a "big pioneer" saw for sale so I went to take a look at it.

I found what appeared to be a very nice P60, but when I pulled the starter rope, I felt immediately that nasty, ugly, no good sign of low compression and for sure a cooked piston. But the guy got it started anyhow but you could hear it wouldn't run nicely.

The investment budget totalled 50 euro's, because it had a nice bar and chain and the coil was working...! After inspection at home, I found the piston scored (light, but bad enough) and the flywheel had nearly lost all of its fins....

so what are my options here...Take the coil and toss the P60, or trying to find a new piston for it.. ? The flywheel is still useable I think.

whatcha think ?

Nice looking P60. I would keep it. Pistons pop up on e-bay from time to time.

Ok Pioneer heads, I need your attention for a second....hehe..

Some of you know that I found an P51 a while ago with a bad ignition coil, so I have been keeping my eyes focused on a new coil. On a local craigslist site, I found a "big pioneer" saw for sale so I went to take a look at it.

I found what appeared to be a very nice P60, but when I pulled the starter rope, I felt immediately that nasty, ugly, no good sign of low compression and for sure a cooked piston. But the guy got it started anyhow but you could hear it wouldn't run nicely.

The investment budget totalled 50 euro's, because it had a nice bar and chain and the coil was working...! After inspection at home, I found the piston scored (light, but bad enough) and the flywheel had nearly lost all of its fins....

so what are my options here...Take the coil and toss the P60, or trying to find a new piston for it.. ? The flywheel is still useable I think.

whatcha think ?

P60B.jpg

P60Esmall.jpg

Now Roland, Your asking a very silly question.
Of coarse fix the P60, That is one clean looking saw.
I love those big pioneers and if you don't want to fix
it just send to me. Once you bury that bar in some wood
you will have a huge smile on your face.
I would keep your eye's out for a P+C and flywheel
that saw is well worthy of a good repair.

Lee

Now Roland, Your asking a very silly question.
Of coarse fix the P60, That is one clean looking saw.
I love those big pioneers and if you don't want to fix
it just send to me. Once you bury that bar in some wood
you will have a huge smile on your face.
I would keep your eye's out for a P+C and flywheel
that saw is well worthy of a good repair.

Lee

Thanks for your input Lee. That saw is very clean apart from the problems mentioned....I'll wait for a while and if it gets in the way, I still can sent it over the pond to someone who may have use for it.
Stay tuned.

Belgian

Roland,Nice acquisition you have there.Hope you can get it fixed up the way you would like.good to see a little of Canada spread all over the globe.
Lawrence

Pioneer-Partner P39 coil

The old fella I get parts from once in a while asked me today if I'd be able to find an electronic coil for a P39 that a guy brought in to have looked at. I don't know if they cross-reference to any other saws because I'm not at all familiar with the saws made after the big Electrolux takeover of the Big Three "P" brands. He said he thought a coil from a P51 electronic would work, but he said he's already been looking for one of those for a few years now (as have some here as well, by the looks of it!).

So anyone have any ideas for this P39? I told him I'd try my best to find something that would work without costing a fortune. Besides the coil being shot, the saw's in really excellent shape, though I don't think it holds much non-utilitarian value with its owner, so I doubt he wants to spend a whole lot on it.

This is what the buggered coil looks like:

attachment.php

If the p60 piston is not scored too bad take a file to it along with new rings and let it cut. Nice looking saw.

Well look at that, less than 5 minutes! Thanks a bunch, never seen that site before. That'll be handy.

What's the difference between the blue and black coils? Are the black ones for points ignition? Just wondering because I think he might have one or two of the models that are listed as accepting the black coil, but the P39 is listed as accepting either.

Any ideas on how much they're worth? No prices without a phone call there it looks like. I'll try on Monday since it's a holiday up here, but not down there, and I'll be home from work and have time to call.

EDIT: Nevermind, found out the difference between the coils. Blue = Wico, black = Phelon. Flywheel needs to be changed as well to switch over. I'll let my friend know.

Last edited:
Pioneer 3200 FW threads

Hi Guys
I've got a pioneer 3200, the threads on the FW side of crank are snubbed from FW removal. I have to chase them, I think its a Lefthand 3/8-24. . Do any of you happen to know?
I'm hoping the aren't Whitworth fine
Thanks
Dave

Hi Guys
I've got a pioneer 3200, the threads on the FW side of crank are snubbed from FW removal. I have to chase them, I think its a Lefthand 3/8-24. . Do any of you happen to know?
I'm hoping the aren't Whitworth fine
Thanks
Dave
Threads on the chain side of my Pioneer are left-hand but I highly doubt that would be the case on the fw side. No reason they should as the crank pulsing would loosen a LHT nut on that side. Hope so cause you'll have a tough time finding a LHT die to chase those threads.

Threads on the chain side of my Pioneer are left-hand but I highly doubt that would be the case on the fw side. No reason they should as the crank pulsing would loosen a LHT nut on that side. Hope so cause you'll have a tough time finding a LHT die to chase those threads.

It could be... a couple of my Pioneers are LH on the flywheel side.

Follow-Up

Thx Lawrence, .... I cleared up the chain oiler snag and did some cutting the other day. It's a real treat to use, balanced and lots of power for my needs, mostly soft tree firewood. It cleaned up nicely and delighted me with cast aluminum covers in several cases and large screws to allow access. I suspect mine were the first tools to invade the innerds as there was no evidence of fastener damage or even cleaning; there were hardened bits of oily sawdust that looked like they were milled into there. Lots of wires, toothpicks, brakekleen and compressed air got it shipshape. It even has a large engraved warning on the clutch to do with the left-hand thread, as in "remove" and a curved arrow. A very classy touch, ... Dennis
Took a look at you saw pictures.That saw is in great shape!Congrats Dennis
Lawrence

The old fella I get parts from once in a while asked me today if I'd be able to find an electronic coil for a P39 that a guy brought in to have looked at. I don't know if they cross-reference to any other saws because I'm not at all familiar with the saws made after the big Electrolux takeover of the Big Three "P" brands. He said he thought a coil from a P51 electronic would work, but he said he's already been looking for one of those for a few years now (as have some here as well, by the looks of it!).

So anyone have any ideas for this P39? I told him I'd try my best to find something that would work without costing a fortune. Besides the coil being shot, the saw's in really excellent shape, though I don't think it holds much non-utilitarian value with its owner, so I doubt he wants to spend a whole lot on it.

This is what the buggered coil looks like:

Brad, the P39 takes the same coil that a Orange Farm Saw uses, its number is 475320. They are usually the easiest of the coils to find for the P series saws.
Pioneerguy600

The flywheel side threads are left hand on the 3200.
Pioneerguy600

Ok, here's a question. A guy is trying to sell me a 5000 plus. I know everyone says they were a hotrod in their day, any reason not to buy one ? I know nothing about them...are parts hard to get ? Anything special I should look for when I go see it ?

Any comments or advice appreciated guys.

Ok, here's a question. A guy is trying to sell me a 5000 plus. I know everyone says they were a hotrod in their day, any reason not to buy one ? I know nothing about them...are parts hard to get ? Anything special I should look for when I go see it ?

Any comments or advice appreciated guys.

Bump. going to see this in a couple of hours.

Here's a couple pics of the P60 I got off the Tradin Post here. Member Mojojojo had it for sale for $30. He installed new rings and rebuilt the carb. It has good comp and starts right up. It came with a 36" bar and the Western options. I did a thread in chainsaw to more publicly thank him. :cheers:
arrowheadpioneer

arrowheadpioneer

Latest posts

Back