Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The P39s used two different coils. Early models used the blue coil that is shown in your picture. They are the same coil as the farmsaw models and the small P28s. The later model P39s used the black Phelon coil which is the same as the P52, P42, P45, P62, P65. They are not interchangeable because the flywheels are different, and I'm not sure the mounting holes on the cylinder are the same.

Way to go Ed!

Another screamin demon is going to roar back to life! That's quite the choke knob on that saw!Wonder if any Pioneer choke pull would work on that saw?
Lawrence

Thanks Larry. Yea... the choke lever is homemade. I have an extra original to put on it. It also needs the manual oiler assist pump which I also have. Its not too pretty lookin, but pretty don't cut wood. :)

What should I do? Fix it or part it out?

I found a Pioneer Partner p62hp on craigslist . I did not have the time to go get it so I sent a friend who lived near the person to go get it for me.1st. mistake.2nd. mistake I thought he knew a little about saws. So now I have a saw that has very little compression and from what I have been reading on here Is going to be very hard to find a piston and rings for.I pulled the muffler off and Its not a pretty sight. When I talked to the guy on the phone he said the compression was great .It would pull your shoulder out of its socket if you didnt use the compression release. Ha what a :censored:joke. I asked my friend if he knew ANY thing about saws he said it started right up and ran good so I got it and left.I know its my own fault but I really wanted a BIG saw. And today when I was out in the shop looking at it again I noticed the bar didnt look right. so after looking at it clocer I noticed that it is a stihl bar with the wrong size openings on it. So now I have a saw with low compression and no bar and chain. What would you guys do ? Part it out and try to recoup some of my money or wait it out and look for a piston and rings? I have not pulled the cylinder yet to see if it is salvagable. Also the chain brakeis missing. I really hate to scrap this one out but I am afraid I wont be able to find the parts.Or I will end up having more in it than its worth.
I am really bummed now:cry: . Its not a bad looking saw . I will get pics as I tear it down to check the piston.

Dan

That's a shame its scored. I'm pretty sure you can still buy the piston/cylinder for it new. They are not cheap though. Brake parts are hard to find also.

655/655bp

I thought I would put up pics of my almost NOS PP655BP. I'm not done with it yet still need some new parts. Needs carb,top and bottom frame and a couple other small parts. I have started it on a prime but have yet to put fuel in tank. Most parts came off ebay and some from local dealers and friends.

Last edited:
attachment.php

attachment.php

Busmech, I opened the pics for ya. Thats a beauty!! A 655bp is on my wish list. :cheers:

Ed- you got any leads on dealers who might still have new top ends? I need one and a buddy needs one as well...

2 just went off the bay one for $100 and the other for $98 as cheep as i have seen ever
the 100 one is headed to my house for my 655

attachment.php

Man those poulan pro 655 look good. I'm not much into the old saws but those P60s are kinda growing an interest here. Are they real strong runners comparable to a 066 or 394?

Man those poulan pro 655 look good. I'm not much into the old saws but those P60s are kinda growing an interest here. Are they real strong runners comparable to a 066 or 394?

My P61 will eat my brothers 066 and it sounds heaps better

Latest posts

Back