Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Arrowhead

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
About the only weak point on these saws is the top handle. I have a few handles that have a crack that runs through the hole for the kill switch. No biggie though, handles are always on ebay. If it's a P60, it prolly don't have a chain brake, so no worries on the brake parts.

Wildman1024

Wildman1024

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
About the only weak point on these saws is the top handle. I have a few handles that have a crack that runs through the hole for the kill switch. No biggie though, handles are always on ebay. If it's a P60, it prolly don't have a chain brake, so no worries on the brake parts.

I'm not to worried about chain brake but I wouldnt be opposed to one either. Are there any real differences between the different 60 series saws?

Arrowhead

Arrowhead

RARE BREED
I'm not to worried about chain brake but I wouldnt be opposed to one either. Are there any real differences between the different 60 series saws?

They are all 98cc. The 60 and 61 are about the same, except most 61's came with brakes. Some of the 61's have a basket style clutch cover that covers the muffler.

Most P62's have different coils/flywheels and a little different port timing and different carbs, letting them turn higher rpms than the 60/61.

BigJ

ArboristSite Operative
Saw ID?

I'm sure this is an easy one, but can anyone ID this guy:

Looks very much like a 650, but the starter cover doesn't match...

Thanks in advance!

157833b_20.jpeg

buzz sawyer
YEP, Model RA.

Ditto - with Western dogs. Check the castings - should have RA in several places. This side looks pretty good. What's the other side look like?

While we're on the subject, my ipl shows the starter rope coming out below the roller. Seems to make more sense than above but the one on Mike Acres site shows it above too.

Last edited:
buzz sawyer
Over the top of the roller is the proper orientation for the pullcord,

Thanks - that saw looks great! I put the starter back together on mine tonight and see why that's the right way to run the rope. Sure would like to find an original starter handle.

Got the crank, piston, cyl, head, and carb back on too. I remembered to put the oil tank cover on before pressure testing. No leaks this time. Starting to look good. I did the same thing with the starter foot hold - metallic finish on the wire and yellow on the clamps. A couple more weeks and I should have this one running.

BigJ

ArboristSite Operative
Ditto - with Western dogs. Check the castings - should have RA in several places. This side looks pretty good. What's the other side look like?

While we're on the subject, my ipl shows the starter rope coming out below the roller. Seems to make more sense than above but the one on Mike Acres site shows it above too.

I just picked it up yesterday evening after posting the pic of the guys add. I wanted to read up a bit in advance. I cant recall the serial#, but I think it was 52XXX..

The saw is in as good shape as I can imagine a 50+ y/o saw, that's been used, being in. The other side looks just as good, as does the bottom, and top...everything looks in order, nothing broken, no mystery parts, no "new" parts as far as I can tell. Bar looks to be in decent shape and the guy knew how to sharpen a chain I'll blow the dust off and post pics when I get a chance.

I tried starting it, but didn't have any luck. I didn't have time to check for spark or dump the old gas or anything, however.

Last edited:
WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pioneer Fans

Looks like a lot of you guys have been busy with acquisitions and restorations.Well I say congratulations to all of you and way to keep with holding the Pioneer name held high!! I'm afraid I have fallen off the Pioneer chainsaw acquisitions for a little while now,but have no fear I shall return.I have been building on my tool inventory so I will be able to work on these fine machines soon.
Lawrence

Wildman1024

Wildman1024

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
New P61

I just got my 1st real pioneer...and it's a P61. Besides for being dirty it's a clean saw. I'll go threw it just so I know it's in tip top shape but it does start right up and run. Only thing bad about it is it has a p52 starter on it. I'm gonna need a bar larger then 20" also.

I'm gonna need some parts so maybe you guys can hel me out. I would like a full wrap handle, if possible the performance air filter cover and a matching p61 starter housing. Also gonna need 2 larg spikes. 1 more thing... What bars can be easily modded to fit this saw. I think it deserves atleast a 30"

I'll get some pics up later