Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was very windy in Britain today so I put my s620 in the car, just in case. I work down a small lane that is the only way in or out, by midday the boss asked if I had my saw in the car. Whoop whoop, I was like a dog with 2 cocks! The saw started easy and went through the 16" ash quick. One road re-opened and lots of free wood (well, all the old car would fit)!
The clutch was slipping a while ago but a wipe down and tap with a spanner got lots of dust out and it was good today.
Close on 50 years old and still cutting well!

That's one happy dog.:smile2:

Pioneer P41W

Received my thin rings today in the mail and can now put the P41 western back together, THANKS TO hillwiam "Jack" for the rings and another AS deal gone GREAT!!!!!!

Anyone have a 525 or 455 they want to part with? or 42 45 52?

Duane

woodruff key for p51

Question for all the Pioneer gurus out there. I am putting my p51 back together after replacing a crank, and ran across one problem that I should have seen before. :(

The woodruff key from the old crank and the replacement one that I got are different. The cranks have the same snout on the flywheel side except for the key. The keys appear to be the same width but the replacement one is a bit shorter and shallower than the older one. Anyone know if I can use the shorter key with the original flywheel?

I think I might cry If I have to tear this thing apart again, but I do have one other crank that has the same key as the original. Pics for comparison.

Woodruff key slots

img_0270.jpg

cranks, new one on the bottom with bearings installed.

img_0259.jpg

Thanks for any help.

If your key will fit inside your flywheel you intend to use on this crank then you are good to go. The key just lines up the flywheel so it will deliver the fire at the correct time, the key does nothing to hold the flywheel in place after the retaining nut is torqued down tight. The interference fit between the tapers hold the flywheel in place on the the crank and prevents iot from slipping. Torque the nut down to 25 ft lbs.

Received my thin rings today in the mail and can now put the P41 western back together, THANKS TO hillwiam "Jack" for the rings and another AS deal gone GREAT!!!!!!

Anyone have a 525 or 455 they want to part with? or 42 45 52?

Duane

I'll be interested to hear how the P41 turns out. Tried to send you a PM, but not sure if it went. There's a 525 on evil-bay right now. It has a chewed-up half wrap, but it looks good otherwise.

Hillwilliam

Mtngal needs rep1

Looks like Jerry beat me here first,way to go Jerry your the man!
Any of you guys don't know about Mtngals plight should check out the thread to get her a whole bunch of rep. She's fightin the big "C" and we need to give her a big boost up!
Thanks
Lawrence

If your key will fit inside your flywheel you intend to use on this crank then you are good to go. The key just lines up the flywheel so it will deliver the fire at the correct time, the key does nothing to hold the flywheel in place after the retaining nut is torqued down tight. The interference fit between the tapers hold the flywheel in place on the the crank and prevents iot from slipping. Torque the nut down to 25 ft lbs.

Thanks. Thats exactly wheat I did. Luckily I had a shorter key in my inventory, and i modified it to fit the new crank. Just need to vac/pressute test it when the ups guy arrives with my new vac tester. Thanks for the help all. My first complete rebuild is almost complete. I cant wait to hear it run.

Here is my Pioneer 1100 which ran splendidly until it was run over by a Dodge Ram 50.

DSCN1181_019.jpg

DSCN1180_018.jpg

DSCN1185_023.jpg

The damage is limited to the handlebar, air filter housing, carb, and I believe the oil pump plunger is bent. Still has compression and spark.

DSCN1183_021.jpg

DSCN1182_020.jpg

DSCN1189_027.jpg

Anyone need parts? This saw kicked ass before the devastation.

PM me here or e-mail ---> [email protected] (My name is Kyle not Vince...I just thought it was a funny sounding name at the time...if your name is Vince Vargas, I apologize.)

pioneer chain saw fm80

ok here goes give mw abreak as iam computer challengd and cant spell. I have farmsaw fm80 with low time on it. runs great. I need a starter. mostly the black plastic pawl that slides up the worm gear. seems the screw came loose and the fly wheel ate some of the parts. will buy the whole thing or parts. love this site. lots of info. sad about mtngals. will send some prayers her way.

ok here goes give mw abreak as iam computer challengd and cant spell. I have farmsaw fm80 with low time on it. runs great. I need a starter. mostly the black plastic pawl that slides up the worm gear. seems the screw came loose and the fly wheel ate some of the parts. will buy the whole thing or parts. love this site. lots of info. sad about mtngals. will send some prayers her way.
Hello Rich;
Use the search function on this thread for FarmSaw starter photos. I'll wager you ate the ends off spirals of the take up spool not the black part.
I can't help you with parts, I can tell you they are very rare.
Lou
See my signature?

farmsaw starter

lou thanks for the reply. think if I cant find parts , maybe use starter and flywheel from differnt saw. saw pics of some polan and pioneer that seem to have the same case but the insides are differnt. sprial gear is ok. the screw that came loose was in the center of the stater. wire for the comp release got in to things so tosed it and plugged the com release. starter still works but the ends of the teeth on black dog,pawl? whatever, are getin short.

P41

I'll be interested to hear how the P41 turns out. Tried to send you a PM, but not sure if it went. There's a 525 on evil-bay right now. It has a chewed-up half wrap, but it looks good otherwise.

Hillwilliam

P41 is up and running, been busy using it instead of my Partners, I REALLY like it!!!! running a 24" Pro Oregon old school bar with skip square and POWER to spare and its not even in good shape or a newer THIRD transfer saw!!!! Been noodling a bunch of 34" maple chunks.
My cylinder wasn't scored at all but has lots of chrome pitting and scratches from ??? maybe someone in the past ran without a filter, anyway it has almost ZERO compression even with new rings but RUNS! hot or cold two pulls!
Now thinking I need a Upgrade!!! too bad the 525 is outta my price range. Thinking I just need a 455 and port the three transfers.

Thanks
Duane

P41 is up and running, been busy using it instead of my Partners, I REALLY like it!!!! running a 24" Pro Oregon old school bar with skip square and POWER to spare and its not even in good shape or a newer THIRD transfer saw!!!! Been noodling a bunch of 34" maple chunks.
My cylinder wasn't scored at all but has lots of chrome pitting and scratches from ??? maybe someone in the past ran without a filter, anyway it has almost ZERO compression even with new rings but RUNS! hot or cold two pulls!
Now thinking I need a Upgrade!!! too bad the 525 is outta my price range. Thinking I just need a 455 and port the three transfers.

Thanks
Duane

Yahoo! We both have bigger saws, but a four-cube Pioneer just rocks! I still think my first P42 (no boost port) was hotter than the ones I have now. It almost scared me, and I was cutting timber for a living and doing some competitions at the time and used to big, bad saws. Glad you're happy with it.

Jack

Poulan Pro 405

Need some advice . My 405 bogs a wot. I suspected the governor but now realize it has an accelerator pump as well as a governor. I rebuilt the carb as my first step. Thinking the large brass plug was the governor I disabled it by putting a piece of pie plate in the orifice. Ran great for a while then resorted to the same issue. I now realize that the small brass plug is actually the governor and I plan to disable it in the same way. First, did I disable the accelerator pump correctly and was it even necessary? I did notice that there was no washer in the assembly as shown in the IPL. Any thought and suggestions will be appreciated.

Bob

Need some advice . My 405 bogs a wot. I suspected the governor but now realize it has an accelerator pump as well as a governor. I rebuilt the carb as my first step. Thinking the large brass plug was the governor I disabled it by putting a piece of pie plate in the orifice. Ran great for a while then resorted to the same issue. I now realize that the small brass plug is actually the governor and I plan to disable it in the same way. First, did I disable the accelerator pump correctly and was it even necessary? I did notice that there was no washer in the assembly as shown in the IPL. Any thought and suggestions will be appreciated.

Bob

Adding to my earlier post the carb is a Walbro WJ and the saw is, I believe, a P42 clone.
Bob

Governer

Adding to my earlier post the carb is a Walbro WJ and the saw is, I believe, a P42 clone.
Bob

You should have only blocked the plug thats on the outside of the carb, either BB or tin cup to seal it, ANYTHING else that you blocked needs to be fixed!!
Also look for kinked fuel line or line thats mushy that is collapsing, check fuel tank vent too (in cap)

Duane

Found screamin deal on two 405"s

Found two 405 for sale best deal ever $200.00, one running complete one was running but had recoil issues, with 36" and 24" bars and extra chains.
Problem: 3000 miles away!!!!! on craigslist
Anyone near Ga. that wants to go in 50/50? or buy them and I'll buy from you?

I just want one!!!!!

Duane

Found two 405 for sale best deal ever $200.00, one running complete one was running but had recoil issues, with 36" and 24" bars and extra chains.
Problem: 3000 miles away!!!!! on craigslist
Anyone near Ga. that wants to go in 50/50? or buy them and I'll buy from you?

I just want one!!!!!

Duane

Back off, vultures! :D

I'm meeting the guy on Saturday. These are in Virginia, though. If there is another set of them available in Georgia, you guys are welcome to those. :cheers:

Vultures!!!

Back off, vultures! :D

I'm meeting the guy on Saturday. These are in Virginia, though. If there is another set of them available in Georgia, you guys are welcome to those. :cheers:

LUCKY SON of ***** what a deal, he has a poulan 330 too! your right it was Virginia!!! If you want to sell one let me know, I'll gladly make it worth it.

Duane

You should have only blocked the plug thats on the outside of the carb, either BB or tin cup to seal it, ANYTHING else that you blocked needs to be fixed!!
Also look for kinked fuel line or line thats mushy that is collapsing, check fuel tank vent too (in cap)

Duane

Duane, both plugs(accelerator and governor) are on the outside of the carb. I believe the accelerator plug is the large one and I unplugged it. The Governor plug which looks like its the small one I blocked with a piece of pie plate. Will try it today. I've replaced the fuel line and the cap vent is missing so that's not an issue.
Bob

Latest posts

Back