Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep just has a wrong color recoil on it.But I think I have one for it?

I use my 41 a lot, I put an old clutch cover on it and cut it out for noodling. I think it's got a small air leak now, I gotta put it on the bench soon.

Great saws.:rock:

Hey guys, I`m slowly working on my first full restoration. Normally I rebuild work saws mechanically. This time it`s going to be cosmetic as well. I fell in love with the RA after seeing Jerry`s (Pioneerguy600) pics of his beautiful restoration. Mine`s not going to be in that league but I have to start somewhere. Here`s a picture of what I`m starting with. I`m assembling the best saw from this saw and two parts saws. I`m still missing a few bits and pieces. Right now everything is in buckets. If anyone has a rubber starter handle in really good condition please PM me. I`d also be interested in any available NOS parts for the build.

You have the easier to find top cover for your restoration, the one with the cast in Pioneer logo is much easier than finding a good chromed piece like the one for mine.

p41

Sorry about that.A very good friend needed them other saws.The Pioneer was for me.

Well I feel bad now, if I would have know I wouldn't have bid on them too save everyone some $$$$, I already have 325's and a p41, I was just in it too turn them or trade them for others.

Sorry about that, I knew it was someone from AS here bidding!!!!!

You still got a good deal though

Duane

Well I feel bad now, if I would have know I wouldn't have bid on them too save everyone some $$$$, I already have 325's and a p41, I was just in it too turn them or trade them for others.

Sorry about that, I knew it was someone from AS here bidding!!!!!

You still got a good deal though

Duane

Thank you! No way to know who may be bidding? I was getting them no matter what they went to! LOL My friend needed them so I was getting them any way I could! It was just a little pay back for so many things he does for me! He is very very hard to pay back!! :evilgrin:

Hey guys, I`m slowly working on my first full restoration. Normally I rebuild work saws mechanically. This time it`s going to be cosmetic as well. I fell in love with the RA after seeing Jerry`s (Pioneerguy600) pics of his beautiful restoration. Mine`s not going to be in that league but I have to start somewhere. Here`s a picture of what I`m starting with. I`m assembling the best saw from this saw and two parts saws. I`m still missing a few bits and pieces. Right now everything is in buckets. If anyone has a rubber starter handle in really good condition please PM me. I`d also be interested in any available NOS parts for the build.

You have the easier to find top cover for your restoration, the one with the cast in Pioneer logo is much easier than finding a good chromed piece like the one for mine.

Hey Jerry,
The cast logo definitely makes the restoration easier. Of the four top covers I had, only 1 of them had the cast logo. Of the 3 non-cast tops the only riveted item left was one medallion. Based on how that stuff was attached I could see how they would become separated from the top cover over the years. The two without the medallion are now with other AS members. I'm taking the easy way out and going with the cast logo.

Thanks again for offering to send the base gasket!

OH stop battering yourself!!! its all good and about learning! NOW you need to check if they are P45's or pp455's, some 45 did NOT have the third transfer but all 455's "SHOULD" have the third transfer that you can see from the outside behind the coil!! ( these are my personal favorite it terms of shear flow and power, blowing strait out the exguast port)
Doesn't really matter they are GREAT saws and my favorite size too use if I need something bigger than a p41/405 (Pretty rare)
You have nice saws and I am increasing my collection of pioneer/poulans within a few days if all goes well!!!!!!

there are exceptions to the info listed above!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! many upgrade kits were available over time.

Those cheapo Poulan/Pioneer saws aren't so cheap anymore!!! people are catching on too our little Secret.

Duane

They're boost port, for sure. Had them both torn down a long time ago and should have noticed the bore is nearly two inches across. Guess I was just used to looking at the innards of of bigger saws. Kinda doesn't matter to me whether they're Pioneer/ Partner or Poulan Pro, since I'm not a collector. Mine are all just work saws that I like a lot.

Interested to hear about your new acquisitions. Try not to make us too envious.

And another attempt at adding a photo . . .

HillwilliamView attachment 219185

Boost!!!!!!

They're boost port, for sure. Had them both torn down a long time ago and should have noticed the bore is nearly two inches across. Guess I was just used to looking at the innards of of bigger saws. Kinda doesn't matter to me whether they're Pioneer/ Partner or Poulan Pro, since I'm not a collector. Mine are all just work saws that I like a lot.

Interested to hear about your new acquisitions. Try not to make us too envious.

And another attempt at adding a photo . . .

HillwilliamView attachment 219185

Well don't have anything yet!! just in the works so far!

Your like me! I use my Pioneers and my other saw sit and look pretty! I have become more fond of using my Pioneer P41 then any saw i have (30+ runners) love the reed valve torque. so now I'm after more 4.0 cube work saws, Too bad though, I started collecting old school Partners and am now trading off or UP not sure wich it is yet.
Sure glad I got rid of them Stihl though, couple left still but not for long.

Poulan or Pioneer/Partner makes no difference there all Pioneer with added Elux power technology (BOOST PORT) best of the world for power.

Duane

Guys,

Working on an RA. Got it most of the way tore down, but kind of stuck on pulling the fan housing from the crankcase. Looks like I need to thread a couple 12-24 studs and pull it off the crank. Any thoughts on this? I'd hate to wreck a good saw.

Chris B.

Guys,

Working on an RA. Got it most of the way tore down, but kind of stuck on pulling the fan housing from the crankcase. Looks like I need to thread a couple 12-24 studs and pull it off the crank. Any thoughts on this? I'd hate to wreck a good saw.

Chris B.

You got it Chris. I just did one. I pulled from the two 12-24 holes that the ignition mounts to. The case halves have a really tight fit. Nothing else holding them other than the 4 studs easily viewed behind the ignition stuff. Let me know if you need any parts. I have a few extras.

A 655BP, What sort of money? And would anyone be prepared to send to new zealand?

BP`s seem to demand the highest price among this series of saws. Most I have come across in very good condition are priced between $550.- $650. CDN. You may find one priced a little lower in the US. There is absolutely no problem to ship a saw to New Zealand or any other country I can think of as long as the person wanting it shipped is willing to pay the shipping costs. I have shipped saws using Priority Mail International with insurance and tracking for more than 5 years with no problems to date. Packaging properly is the main thing to have done to protect the saw from damage, don`t skimp on this and take chances as damage will most likely happen.

You got it Chris. I just did one. I pulled from the two 12-24 holes that the ignition mounts to. The case halves have a really tight fit. Nothing else holding them other than the 4 studs easily viewed behind the ignition stuff. Let me know if you need any parts. I have a few extras.

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll have this thing going in no time.

Chris B.

Pioneer P41 42

Ok so I've been using my P41 for awhile now, I bought it as a p42 but has two peice ignition so must be a p41 right? Well thing is my only sticker left on it is the bar cover. Says P42, and its old and pelling off, i peeked under it a little and paint is brighter and matches the rest of the saw. It is the old bright yellow pioneer color used on p41s.
So what do I have? the sticker says P42 but it is not orange yellow colored like p42s, stickers OEM and has not ever been replaced, entire saw has matching paint. Bright Lime yellow, greenish handles

Oh yah this saw is a WESTERN and some things are different.

Any ideas????????

Duane

P42

My P42 was a lime green Western from back when they were all lime green (to my knowledge). Loved that saw - it cut a lot of timber and won some comps. Remnants of it are in a photo I posted a few days ago. Green P42 starter cover and Western rear handle are now mounted on what must be a P45.

Hillwilliam

Also, mine had black handles and black, one-piece Phelon ignition. Think I got it in the early '80s.

Last edited:
P42 western

Ok so I've been using my P41 for awhile now, I bought it as a p42 but has two peice ignition so must be a p41 right? Well thing is my only sticker left on it is the bar cover. Says P42, and its old and pelling off, i peeked under it a little and paint is brighter and matches the rest of the saw. It is the old bright yellow pioneer color used on p41s.
So what do I have? the sticker says P42 but it is not orange yellow colored like p42s, stickers OEM and has not ever been replaced, entire saw has matching paint. Bright Lime yellow, greenish handles

Any ideas????????

Duane

Guess I screwed up, my P42 has black handles not green! Dumb A** me!!!

I used it all day falling timber today and it loves to kill trees! 24" skip chisel on a VERY OLD Oregon wide Pro bar. (non replaceable sprocket nose) Some of the trees were 30" it never even bogged down. Seems to go a long ways on a tank of fuel. Even managed to destroy a good hickory shirt and very slightly bloody it when the chain didn't stop fast enough and caught my elbow when falling a risky tangled up Birch pile.

Duane

Little Pioneer reeds

So ordered these Boyesen reeds, thought they were right but there not, there SMALL!!!!!!! anyone know what pioneer takes reeds smalled than a P42, p40, p39.

I think they might be for a P20-28 but never touched one so ? Anyone have one apart they can measure? Might be for a different saw all together with three smaller reeds.

Anyways thanks in advance
Duane

Guess I screwed up, my P42 has black handles not green! Dumb A** me!!!

I used it all day falling timber today and it loves to kill trees! 24" skip chisel on a VERY OLD Oregon wide Pro bar. (non replaceable sprocket nose) Some of the trees were 30" it never even bogged down. Seems to go a long ways on a tank of fuel. Even managed to destroy a good hickory shirt and very slightly bloody it when the chain didn't stop fast enough and caught my elbow when falling a risky tangled up Birch pile.

Duane

My P42 was a pig for saw gas! Might be because I had a toilet on it instead of a carb. I could never wander far from the gas and oil jugs. That saw ran great until I monkeyed with it. Then it ran better.

Hillwilliam

Any ideas????????

Duane

That could be an early P42. They made them in yellow before the Pioneer/Partner orange. The older ignition actually makes sense. I have a Pioneer P62 High Performance in the yellow. It has the older P60/P61 ignition module.

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

Back