Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so I've been using my P41 for awhile now, I bought it as a p42 but has two peice ignition so must be a p41 right? Well thing is my only sticker left on it is the bar cover. Says P42, and its old and pelling off, i peeked under it a little and paint is brighter and matches the rest of the saw. It is the old bright yellow pioneer color used on p41s.
So what do I have? the sticker says P42 but it is not orange yellow colored like p42s, stickers OEM and has not ever been replaced, entire saw has matching paint. Bright Lime yellow, greenish handles

Oh yah this saw is a WESTERN and some things are different.

Any ideas????????

Duane

If you have a two piece ign it is a P41. The P42 was made during the transition from Pioneer to Pioneer Partner and was produced in both colors. The lime green/ yellow being the older, same way with the P62s.

If you have a two piece ign it is a P41. The P42 was made during the transition from Pioneer to Pioneer Partner and was produced in both colors. The lime green/ yellow being the older, same way with the P62s.

My 62 pictured above has the older ign. module like the 51, 60, 61. I first thought somebody swapped the jug from an older 60 or 61. I bought the saw from a guy that bought it new. He said he never swapped jugs, it was all original. :confused:

I have a yellow P62 Western and a couple PP62HP's in orange.... they have the newer ign. modules.

I stand corrected, I have several of the P42s in both colors and all have the phelan coil and three P41s that all have the 2 piece settup. I have never seen a 42 or a 62 with the 2 piece ign but that is possible, I know that they switched some parts in the middle of other model runs.

Last edited:
p42

That could be an early P42. They made them in yellow before the Pioneer/Partner orange. The older ignition actually makes sense. I have a Pioneer P62 High Performance in the yellow. It has the older P60/P61 ignition module.

IMG_3769.jpg

IMG_3768.jpg

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

My P42 Western is identical you your P62 just a different size. The info I have says 1984 only for theses westerns with yellow paint and two piece Ignitions. With old style cylinders.
Its all weird, But I don't care, they work GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY NICE SAW!!!!! you have, I'll find one someday.

Duane

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!!

My P42 Western is identical you your P62 just a different size. The info I have says 1984 only for theses westerns with yellow paint and two piece Ignitions. With old style cylinders.
Its all weird, But I don't care, they work GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!

VERY NICE SAW!!!!! you have, I'll find one someday.

Duane

Good luck! I have been looking for one for a while now? I did get a P62 P&C to put on one of my P52s ! That will do for now LOL

Wow Jerry I heard wright outstanding work My ra was only the 2nd one I ever no wear as nice as yours

I still have our original RA that I used when growing up on the farm, I gave it a coat of paint when I was a teen, like 13 years old. For some reason I cant bring my self to strip and redo it again, picts below,

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1884.jpg

IMG_1883.jpg

That is absolutely beautiful, what a great job you did on that saw!!

Thanks Jerry I spent a lot of time on the there saws complete rebuild on all there had to make my own coils for the twins they don't make them any more I tried cutting with one twin before i painted it real neat to run and a real neat sound to hear a saw with two cylinders the people around me didnt like the nose lol so i start them up every now and then lol

Latest posts

Back