Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What model PM saw is a Skil 1716 Type-1? Should I be interested in it?

Hiya guys. Figured you Pioneer-heads would be the most likely to have an answer to my question. There's a nice looking Skil 1716 Type-1 listed on my local CL for peanuts. There's no listing for that model # Skil on Acres site (and that model number is VERY clearly visible in the seller's pic). To me, it looks most like a PM 330 or PM 340. Given the small bar that's on the saw, I'm betting it's probably the 57cc 330 rather than the 69cc 340. If it's 69cc or larger then I'd possibly be interested in it myself for that price. Not so much if it's the smaller saw. Is this something anybody here is interested in? It's close enough to me that I could easily pick it up, then ship it (at your expense) to you. Send me a PM if you're interested. I'm not geting email notifications of posts in the my subscribed threads once again. I have absolutely no connection to the saw or the seller, other than living in the same county....

Skil chainsaw works great.

Hiya guys. Figured you Pioneer-heads would be the most likely to have an answer to my question. There's a nice looking Skil 1716 Type-1 listed on my local CL for peanuts. There's no listing for that model # Skil on Acres site (and that model number is VERY clearly visible in the seller's pic). To me, it looks most like a PM 330 or PM 340. Given the small bar that's on the saw, I'm betting it's probably the 57cc 330 rather than the 69cc 340. If it's 69cc or larger then I'd possibly be interested in it myself for that price. Not so much if it's the smaller saw. Is this something anybody here is interested in? It's close enough to me that I could easily pick it up, then ship it (at your expense) to you. Send me a PM if you're interested. I'm not geting email notifications of posts in the my subscribed threads once again. I have absolutely no connection to the saw or the seller, other than living in the same county....

Skil chainsaw works great.

A 1716 is a 340 Aaron, I'm 99% sure.

A 1716 is a 340 Aaron, I'm 99% sure.

Thanks Chris. Sounds more interesting to me (for $20) then. Will go check it out tomorrow. If I end up not liking it, then it'll get swapped for something else. $20 isn't a big risk. What bar mount do these saws take (or what bar mounts can be made to work)? That saw looks to have a 16" bar, which is kinda puny for a heavy old 69cc saw. I do like that they run a Tillotsoon HS carb. Got lotsa kits for those.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris. Sounds more interesting to me (for $20) then. Will go check it out tomorrow. If I end up not liking it, then it'll get swapped for something else. $20 isn't a big risk. What bar mount do these saws take (or what bar mounts can be made to work)? That saw looks to have a 16" bar, which is kinda puny for a heavy old 69cc saw. I do like that they run a Tillotsoon HS carb. Got lotsa kits for those.

IIRC they take a KO41 bar. That bar is way small for that saw, supposedly they are quite torquey.:msp_thumbsup:

IIRC they take a KO41 bar. That bar is way small for that saw, supposedly they are quite torquey.:msp_thumbsup:

Interesting. I'm thinking 24" bar would be a much better fit. I just left a message on the guy's service a few minutes ago. It's only 7:55 PM here. The message announcement was for a yard care service. If he'd answered, I'd have tried to go look at the saw tonight. CAD is welling up...........:yoyo:

Load Pioneers

Mark,...I posted quite a while back on a thread that was about the loudest chainsaw engine out there and stated that the 1100 Pioneer would make your ears bleed. Only someone that ran them would know what I was talking about so very few of the other posters believed me or could verify what I posted but I know as my dad had this one and it was his main saw for 4-5 years, unfortunately its the model with the big felt filter in the tank and it needs to be taken out.

IMG_1952.jpg

Might be able to BEAT you one on the LOUD department, My Pioneer 2460 Super is Unreal !! Its the old double barrel muffler and 77cc.

Duane

The white 1100`s were even louder, no muffler from the factory,

(Deleted repost of image, look above)

Looks almost identical to the old Homelite C series "stack", I can vouch for their loudness.

While I'm here, anyone got a lead on an ignition module for my P-60? Had a fellow member (treemonkey) put new bearings in it, both had spun a bit in the race, but he was able to make em hold, but the ignition is weak and it won't run at idle. I know they're not easy to come by, but if anyone has one to get rid of, or a fix or alternate option, I'd appreciate it.

Sure would like to have that beast in the land of the living again, 73ccs really doesn't do that great on a 34" bar. 98 would be mucho better.

Module #431484

Looks almost identical to the old Homelite C series "stack", I can vouch for their loudness.

While I'm here, anyone got a lead on an ignition module for my P-60? Had a fellow member (treemonkey) put new bearings in it, both had spun a bit in the race, but he was able to make em hold, but the ignition is weak and it won't run at idle. I know they're not easy to come by, but if anyone has one to get rid of, or a fix or alternate option, I'd appreciate it.

Sure would like to have that beast in the land of the living again, 73ccs really doesn't do that great on a 34" bar. 98 would be mucho better.

I have spares, PM me.

Art

P41

What parts will interchange with the pionner p41? .. I been looking at one at a local shop here for 80$

Do to ignitions being different on MOST P41 I's say P41 and P42 PIONEER ONLY models, and only the two piece ignitions, early P41 had different ignition yet, and late P42 had one piece. Its confusing!!!!! And even worse! some Western models had different ignitions, and many saws have been swapped around over the years.

conclusion! Id buy it without hesitation!

Duane

good price if it runs.. also whats the compression and does it have any scoring on the cylinder/pistion? just like Duane said the ignition systems are the hardest to find on these saws and confusing but time I think worth it for theses saws....

Do to ignitions being different on MOST P41 I's say P41 and P42 PIONEER ONLY models, and only the two piece ignitions, early P41 had different ignition yet, and late P42 had one piece. Its confusing!!!!! And even worse! some Western models had different ignitions, and many saws have been swapped around over the years.

conclusion! Id buy it without hesitation!

Duane

Yes you would! You Pioneer scarf! :hmm3grin2orange:

everything looks good and real good compression hang itself by the rope easy has a nice 20inch bar like new chain.... he also has a framlite look like it had very little use i checked them over.. I might go back tomorrow put them in layaway pick them frist of the month

everything looks good and real good compression hang itself by the rope easy has a nice 20inch bar like new chain.... he also has a framlite look like it had very little use i checked them over.. I might go back tomorrow put them in layaway pick them frist of the month

If you happen to not like it.Wouldn't be hard to get rid of in here :hmm3grin2orange:

He has ehco 610evl two pionners and a husqvarna 61. I am going to buy one of theses backwoods pawnshops in the country they have everything forsale :rock:

Fuel mix for p42HP

Hello all. I was out cutting fire wood today. It was the first time I've used the p42hp that I picked up and I loved it. It ran great and kicked ass the whole time. It was more fun to run than a friends brand new stihl. Anyway, I was running 40:1 fuel mix and it ran great. But I have read that some folks here run 32:1. I ran out of gas today so I just wanted to get some input before I mix more. The saw is great and I just want to make sure that I do all I can to make sure it's around for a while. Also is there a difference between a p42 and a p42hp if so what is that difference? Just didn't know if people drop the hp when they talk about the saws. thanks for any info.

I run 50:1 (av gas) in all my saws. At least one the OM recommends 16:1. Oils have improved just as saws (except Pioneer) have.
Someone more knowledgeable than I will answer your other question.
Lou

Back