Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Figured I put a pic where it needs to be. The one with the grey trim is NOS.... never gassed.

IMG_7243.jpg

Wow very nice great score :rock:

Figured I put a pic where it needs to be. The one with the grey trim is NOS.... never gassed.

IMG_7243.jpg

Those are very, very nice. I thought mine was nice but nothing like NOS and the P455 is terrific as well. I really like these Pioneer/Poulan Pros.

Last edited:
Can you tell me what is a "factory 3rd transfer"?

Here's a low hour Poulan 455... same as Pioneer P45. I got the saw from member SilverKing. He's a great guy, the saw is better than he made it to be. The piston and rings still have the machine marks. I found the new bar on ebay. 72cc with a factory 3rd transfer.

The problem with these Poulan branded Pioneers is I never know what thread to put them in. So I did both. :msp_smile:

IMG_7440_zps78222cb3.jpg

IMG_7441_zps12f504ca.jpg

And also do you know the approximate manufacture year?

Larry

I put the P-60 to some real work today, bucking a 24" cottonwood log. Even with the "short" 24" bar on it, it's impressive as all get out. Big chips, and big grins galore.

Saw pron:

attachment.php

Anyway, I'm liking this thing a whole lot, and wondering if swapping the chain brake side cover and full wrap handle off my P-41S is just a direct swap like it looks, or is there a difference that I don't see?

I'm gonna have some fun with it at the MN GTG tomorrow, I will try and be sure to get more pics up here later this weekend.

I put the P-60 to some real work today, bucking a 24" cottonwood log. Even with the "short" 24" bar on it, it's impressive as all get out. Big chips, and big grins galore.

Saw pron:

attachment.php

Anyway, I'm liking this thing a whole lot, and wondering if swapping the chain brake side cover and full wrap handle off my P-41S is just a direct swap like it looks, or is there a difference that I don't see?

I'm gonna have some fun with it at the MN GTG tomorrow, I will try and be sure to get more pics up here later this weekend.

The P41 full wrap won't fit. The P60 bar is taller by about an inch if I remember right. The chain brake cover won't either, I'm not sure if it can be modified to fit (never tried).

Saw pron:

Steve, what is 'pron'?
:msp_confused:

The P41 full wrap won't fit. The P60 bar is taller by about an inch if I remember right. The chain brake cover won't either, I'm not sure if it can be modified to fit (never tried).

That's correct. The cover can't be modded to fit either.

And also do you know the approximate manufacture year?

Larry

The third transfer is on the top of the pic. Most Pioneer/PoulanPro jugs don't have it. This is a pic of a P45/455 jug.
There is not a date on the tag, but according to Acres they were made from 88 to 92.

IMG_7424.jpg

I recently purchased a 1980 Farmsaw off CL. This is my first Pioneer saw and I am really impressed with it. The fit and finish and the automatic compression release are great. As you can see by the pictures posted it has seen little use in its life. My question to you Pioneer guys is, how did the Farmsaw fit into the Pioneer lineup? Was it a cheaper saw with less features, like the Stihl "Farm Boss" or just a marketing strategy used by Pioneer. By the way I gave $50 for this saw, it still has the original Pioneer bar on it

SteveView attachment 253832View attachment 253833

I recently purchased a 1980 Farmsaw off CL. This is my first Pioneer saw and I am really impressed with it. The fit and finish and the automatic compression release are great. As you can see by the pictures posted it has seen little use in its life. My question to you Pioneer guys is, how did the Farmsaw fit into the Pioneer lineup? Was it a cheaper saw with less features, like the Stihl "Farm Boss" or just a marketing strategy used by Pioneer. By the way I gave $50 for this saw, it still has the original Pioneer bar on it

Really nice looking Farmsaw.

Great looking Farmsaw. The Farmsaw was a the same size as a P41, 4 cubic inch. The 41, 51 and 61 were the top of the line made for professional use. The Farmsaw was intended for home owners and Farmers. This saw was one of the most successful selling saws that Pioneer had. They used a plastic rewind and cheaper starter drive like the small P26/P28. Later models had a 1 ring piston. Cheaper clutch and ignition system. The rewind and ignition usually go first but thousands were sold and many are still in use today.

Not a chain saw but it is a saw

Thanks Jeff for a great piece of history sure glade they came out with a chainsaw would not want to drag one of these around lol [video=youtube_share;W54TbO4pdZw]http://youtu.be/W54TbO4pdZw[/video]

Thanks Jeff for a great piece of history sure glade they came out with a chainsaw would not want to drag one of these around lol [video=youtube_share;W54TbO4pdZw]http://youtu.be/W54TbO4pdZw[/video]

Thanks Joe,...I have only seen these in pieces, its the first complete one I have seen and it runs to boot.

P21 cylinder base gasket.

Should I make a new cylinder base gasket or can I get away without. I've done several other saws with just gasket shelac (Permatex 300 Form-a-Gasket) but this would be a first for one with a split crankcase.

The old gasket was .033"-.035" thick and the material I have on hand is .028".

On a side note: The small end rod bearing from a Homie XL-12 replaced the one I buggered in the P-21. Pays to save 'stuff'.

A big thanks to DSS for the piston and misc..:rock:

Carl.

Should I make a new cylinder base gasket or can I get away without. I've done several other saws with just gasket shelac (Permatex 300 Form-a-Gasket) but this would be a first for one with a split crankcase.

The old gasket was .033"-.035" thick and the material I have on hand is .028".

On a side note: The small end rod bearing from a Homie XL-12 replaced the one I buggered in the P-21. Pays to save 'stuff'.

A big thanks to DSS for the piston and misc..:rock:

Carl.

Just bolt the jug on and check your squish.You want at least .020,most work just fine that way.Usually run better!

Latest posts

Back