Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I'm new here and I was wondering if any of you could give me some guidance, as I've completely exhausted my ideas on the topic
I recently acquired a 1979 P28 from a seller and was told that it hadn't been started in four years, I've checked everything I can think of, everything moves, it's pulling gas, sparking and all that jazz, even adjusted the idle screw. If it helps, the spark gap is at .04, but the owners manual says nothing at all about that that I can find. Any suggestions? I would be eternally grateful

We need to know how much compression this saw has, it needs more than 100 psi to get it to start. The rings may be stuck in the piston grooves making it near impossible to get the saw started.

Hi, I'm new here and I was wondering if any of you could give me some guidance, as I've completely exhausted my ideas on the topic
I recently acquired a 1979 P28 from a seller and was told that it hadn't been started in four years, I've checked everything I can think of, everything moves, it's pulling gas, sparking and all that jazz, even adjusted the idle screw. If it helps, the spark gap is at .04, but the owners manual says nothing at all about that that I can find. Any suggestions? I would be eternally grateful

Plug gap should be .030

Pioneer Partner Sign/Clock

DSCF1248.jpg

DSCF1247.jpg

Time to kickstart the thread again
This is a sign a friend of mine picked up for me a couple of weeks ago. The clock keeps perfect time. I replaced both ballasts and both 33 inch fluorescent tubes. I found original Robinson ballast with the help of a local wholesaler. The tubes were oddball as well. They are appliance tubes.

Last edited:
DSCF1248.jpg

DSCF1247.jpg

Time to kickstart the thread again
This is a sign a friend of mine picked up for me a couple of weeks ago. The clock keeps perfect time. I replaced both ballasts and both 33 inch fluorescent tubes. I found original Robinson ballast with the help of a local wholesaler. The tubes were oddball as well. They are appliance tubes.

Looks great Jeff

K&N filter cover

Anybody got one of the metal covers that fits on top of the K&N filter setups on the large "P" saws that they could spare. I've got everything else except the metal filter top plate.

Thanks.

Anybody got one of the metal covers that fits on top of the K&N filter setups on the large "P" saws that they could spare. I've got everything else except the metal filter top plate.

Thanks.

Are you talking about the base that goes between the saw and the filter? If so, they are plastic.

The K&N has a metal top built into the filter. The kit consists of the base, filter, standard washer, and the knob.

IMG_7660.jpg

If your filter is like an old car filter without no top, you may have the design that was used on the cut off saws. If so, I have the piece I think your talking about. I'll take a pic in a little bit.

This is the style used on the chop saws, I've never seen it used on the chainsaws. The filter is just an open element with prefilter, metal top and plastic cover. Is the metal piece what your needing?

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7663.jpg

Well maybe if it's part of the filter mine is just black plastic. I'll have look again later. Headed to the MO,OK, AR GTG this weekend and saw not with me.

I think my filter just has the plastic top and apparently they made the filter itself with a metal top. I thought the metal top was a piece that sat on top of the filter. I saw one at the GTG this week end and it was all one piece with a metal top. I do appreciate your help.

I got this Pioneer 1110 here that has a 8 tooth sprocket on it. The IPL I have just gives a part # and dont say if its a 7 or 8 tooth.

What other saws used a 7 tooth sprocket that would fit on this saw and what would the proper part # for said 7 tooth or rim drive sprocket.

I'm out of my comfort zone on these parts so I come to the gurus for help. :hmm3grin2orange:

The K&N has a metal top built into the filter. The kit consists of the base, filter, standard washer, and the knob.

IMG_7660.jpg

If your filter is like an old car filter without no top, you may have the design that was used on the cut off saws. If so, I have the piece I think your talking about. I'll take a pic in a little bit.

Ed, little help if you don't mind. I have the filter setup listed but am missing screws part number 433468 & 433469. I am assuming I can go to the local nut house and get what I need but I need dimensions if you could help. Going on PP655 (early grey handle non bp model).

Ed, little help if you don't mind. I have the filter setup listed but am missing screws part number 433468 & 433469. I am assuming I can go to the local nut house and get what I need but I need dimensions if you could help. Going on PP655 (early grey handle non bp model).

Randy, the front uses a 1/4 20. I usually just use a bolt. The rear I think is 10-24 about 2". I'll check for sure in the morning.

Latest posts

Back