Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The easiest and probably cheapest way to do that would be to find a Farmsaw clutch cover and swap the guts. All the parts, including the cover would fit your saw, but it would be orange of course. I have seen NOS ones on ebay for not that much money and it would be easy to shift the parts into your cover.

Its a lot easier to find brake parts for those than it is for the 50/60 series saws.

Thanks for the info. That'll help.

Just bought a P42 and it is missing the chainbrake. Naturally I would like to restore it. Anybody have any parts they could spare? Don't have much to trade except greenbacks.

Thanks

Gerry

If I were you, I would just leave it alone. Those saws are almost "supposed" to have the chain brake removed. Especially the west coast versions, with the full wraps and velocity stacks.

Thanks Mark.

Ha! Found new ones on evilbay. Carlton C50910 Hit BIN for one. May get another later if it works out.

Hate to run a new chain on an almost done for sprocket.

Edit: Just noticed it is an 8 tooth sprocket. We may be in trouble.

Mechanically, .325x8 is almost identical to 3/8x7, it actually will turn the chain just a hair slower that 3/8-7. I don't think you'll have any trouble pulling it.

Thanks for the link. I'm assuming all brake parts are missing. Seller shipped it yesterday so I'll see it next week. Are there differences in the P42's?

Differences as far as what? If you mean the cover in the link, no... the only difference is the color.

I meant between the ones marked High Performance and the one like I bought that is marked Western.

The Westerns were when Pioneer was by itself. The High Performance is when Partner joined them. Basically the same saw.
The P Western models came with a full wrap, rear exhaust, large dual spikes on the P50/60 series, and an SDC 80 carb with a foam filter.
The standard models came mostly with half wraps (full wraps could be ordered), side exhaust, standard spikes, smaller carb and felt filter.
Once it became Pioneer/Partner, they made the Western stuff standard equipment on the saws... then called the "High Performance".

Thanks. Interesting. Not quite sure what the difference looks like in side exhaust and rear exhaust. I need more education without a doubt. I appreciate you expertise.

Thanks. Interesting. Not quite sure what the difference looks like in side exhaust and rear exhaust. I need more education without a doubt. I appreciate you expertise.

Here's a pic of the rear exhaust (left) and a side exhaust (right).
The rear was the original Western style. Later in production, the rear became standard on most of the P's.

IMG_7899.jpg

P-26e

Mechanically, .325x8 is almost identical to 3/8x7, it actually will turn the chain just a hair slower that 3/8-7. I don't think you'll have any trouble pulling it.

I need to take a better look. I thought it had a .325" x 7 on there now.

Got him cleaned up and made some test cuts. Idle speed will rise and fall with the metering lever movement (or something???).

Really wierd, held him for several minutes and he set up a steady rhythm.

Lawrence, sorry to hear: been there myself through hell and back to a happier place!

tbone,please read the above post to Ed.Most of the saws have to go,the true reality is there is no other way.My family comes first!!!!! I'm not looking for any handouts PERIOD.I'm not that sort of person and that sort of stuff will not sit well with me.No one in my family has a life threating illness.
I have stocked up about 25 saws in all different states of condition.I would only want what I paid for each saw and then the buyer would have to pay for shipping so it might not even be worth it for guy's to purchase them.This is not intended to be a classified add as I do not want to get banned from this website.
Many Thanks
Lawrence P.S I will only be able to check in here when I have time as my priorities have to shift

I am not a person that offers advice to the lovelorn except when I hear about myself.
I did not know it at the time, but my problem was booze. It took a new woman, an ultimatum and medicine. Now I am great except when she eases off on the med (Antabuse) probably hoping I will someday not need it. Not so yet,if ever.
Anyway, I have one Pioneer in my collection which is mint and I bought from a guy in Nova Scotia last year, It is a small (P28, 1981) which looks identical to the one in the pictures by a member last page or two. I bought it because of it's condition and I wanted a Pioneer. If you've got a real nice larger old Pioneer that you want to sell, send pics to my PM.
Good luck with your situation. Keeping up your relationship with the kids is critical. I did not do such a good job, not for lack of trying, and regret it deeply.
Larry (Lawrence)
Long Island, NY

P42 bar setup

The P42 I've got coming is setup with a .404 chain and a 28" bar. Seems a little overboard to me. What should I hang on it?

Latest posts

Back