Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics added

View attachment 288115

Picked up a couple saws at a local recycler on a whim. A hsq65 and a Pioneer P41s. Hsq was running and in decent shape. P41 was looking sorry and wouldn't start.

Took it home and cleaned it up. Checked spark, all good. Poured some gas in the carb and turned her over a couple times and she fired right up. Took a bit to convince her to stay running. Had to strip and clean the carb. New fuel etc. seems to run good now but if I keep her I will be doing a carb kit, fuel filter etc. Haven't done a comp test yet as I don't have a gauge yet. Seems low though I read that the double ring build comp as they run. Piston has some light scoring, id imagine par for course for a saw this old. Exhaust port is bridged. Carbon build up on piston head and exhaust port but seems fairly light.

The bar and chain are original. The chain beeping marked pioneer. They are both in rough shape though. Someone sharpened the chain on a very long angle. I also have never seen a chain where the back of the tooth was on a angle though I am new at this chainsaw obsession. The bar is marked made in Canada but is in rough shape. Rivets loose on roller tip, chips out of rail edges etc. will be buying new bar and chain if I keep her.

Anyway at the moment I'm in the process of doing a more thorough cleaning of the years of crud. Couldent hardly see the coil or cooling fins under the recoil cover when I took it apart. Starting to look better now.

So now I have to decide weather to keep her and put some money into her and become a collector or sell her off. My problem is space and that I already have a jonsered 920 (in like new cond) and 535. The hsq65 and a new craftsman 35cc that I just picked up for free and fixed. Don't need more saws but they sure are fun.

I have enjoyed reading all the posts on this forum and learned lots. Keep it up.

Hello Darcy hear you go my friend sorry it was not soner .Wish you wear closer I have the socket you need and im sure we could bring your saw to life :msp_w00t:

I brought a 1/2" air ratchet with 1" impact socket from work today. Worked like a charm. My little 5 gallon compressor didn't even kick in before the nut was off. I had to remove the tank to get the handle off so I could have room to get my puller on the flywheel. Every time a flywheel pops off I hold my breath until I check for damage. I cleaned up the points on the rear cylinder and set the gap to around 18 thou. I did not touch the front cylinder points. I put it back together, pulled it over and have fat blue spark from both cylinders! Maybe a little stronger from the rear. I still have put the tank, handle and top cover on but it should be ready to make some smoke this weekend!

I pretty well ran upstairs excited to tell someone. My 2 yr old is in bed. He would have been much more interested than my wife. Part way into my thrilling story she says "You really have to find someone who cares to tell these stories to..."

Ya can't figure out why my pics went all Aussie on me. From Okanagan valley BC. It's on the auction block now.

This must be an Austalian version! Welcome to the forum. great guys and great info here. What part of Canada are you from? I'm in Huntsville, Muskoka.

Again Welcome,

Lee:msp_sneaky::msp_sneaky::msp_sneaky:

I brought a 1/2" air ratchet with 1" impact socket from work today. Worked like a charm. My little 5 gallon compressor didn't even kick in before the nut was off. I had to remove the tank to get the handle off so I could have room to get my puller on the flywheel. Every time a flywheel pops off I hold my breath until I check for damage. I cleaned up the points on the rear cylinder and set the gap to around 18 thou. I did not touch the front cylinder points. I put it back together, pulled it over and have fat blue spark from both cylinders! Maybe a little stronger from the rear. I still have put the tank, handle and top cover on but it should be ready to make some smoke this weekend!

I pretty well ran upstairs excited to tell someone. My 2 yr old is in bed. He would have been much more interested than my wife. Part way into my thrilling story she says "You really have to find someone who cares to tell these stories to..."

I hear ya. That's why I tell my stuffed hooded merganzer. He generally seems to show more interest than the rest of the family.
Never rolls his glass eyes at me either.

Darcy I would not run it with that flywheel like that my self I have seen them fly apart . I know you really want to hear ot come to life and im sure it will I would get the other flywheel . give me a call friday night or I will call you . Wow Jerry you got a real pile of work ahead of you my friend :msp_scared::msp_scared:

Darcy I would not run it with that flywheel like that my self I have seen them fly apart . I know you really want to hear ot come to life and im sure it will I would get the other flywheel . give me a call friday night or I will call you . Wow Jerry you got a real pile of work ahead of you my friend :msp_scared::msp_scared:

I would be leery of running a cracked flywheel myself on any engine. There was a case a few years back where a father was working on an outboard motor where a known cracked flywheel flew apart and hit his daughter in the head, killing her.
Yes Joe, the project is just getting started, there is about 2.5 miles of roadway already built and we are just in the stages of bringing in the electrical power.

Hi Joe, thanks for helping Darcy and the rest of us out on this project, we really appreciate your time and knowledge of these saws. I am doing fine myself, busy these days as I have thrown in with a friend to build his subdivision, around 300+ houses on this one.

Holy Cow Jerry...That would be like three lifetimes worth of work for me!

I would be leery of running a cracked flywheel myself on any engine. There was a case a few years back where a father was working on an outboard motor where a known cracked flywheel flew apart and hit his daughter in the head, killing her.
Yes Joe, the project is just getting started, there is about 2.5 miles of roadway already built and we are just in the stages of bringing in the electrical power.

I'll take this advice gentlemen. My desire to hear it run is high. I'll keep working on cleaning it and getting the bar looking nicer.

Jerry - I read somewhere that new housing starts in N.S. were down about 50% in 2012 from 2011. Sounds like you and your buddy are trying to get the numbers back in line for 2013!

I'll take this advice gentlemen. My desire to hear it run is high. I'll keep working on cleaning it and getting the bar looking nicer.

Jerry - I read somewhere that new housing starts in N.S. were down about 50% in 2012 from 2011. Sounds like you and your buddy are trying to get the numbers back in line for 2013!

Depends on the location, all over NS the starts are down but in this area we can`t build fast enough.

Pioneer P40 Restoration

DSCF1454_zpsc17bfc92.jpg

DSCF1453_zps58fccf59.jpg

DSCF1450_zps86abb09f.jpg

Finally got around to starting a P40. This saw has the typical paint problem. Most of it is missing. This P40 run excellent but is an eyesore to look at. I found a local fellow that can powder coat parts for me. Just got them back the other day. Time to start the reassmble. This p40 is one of the early models with points and the weak rewind system later used on farmsaws

Been working on this 750 off and on for the last 4 or 5 months. Finally got it painted last week, and most of it assembled today. Too bad I got the color wrong, but it still looks good. If I can hold my hands steady long enough, I may detail the 'Pioneer' names and the gunning sights.

I have a new deflector and rivets for the clutch cover.
Pioneer750_2_zps27cc14a0.jpg

Pioneer750_1_zps55574e10.jpg

New muffler assembly. Actually for the 1771 but it bolts up and looks nearly identical.
Pioneer750_3_zpsd4ab9a1f.jpg

Been working on this 750 off and on for the last 4 or 5 months. Finally got it painted last week, and most of it assembled today. Too bad I got the color wrong, but it still looks good. If I can hold my hands steady long enough, I may detail the 'Pioneer' names and the gunning sights.

Pioneer750_2_zps27cc14a0.jpg

Pioneer750_1_zps55574e10.jpg

New muffler assembly. Actually for the 1771 but it bolts up and looks nearly identical.
Pioneer750_3_zpsd4ab9a1f.jpg

Nice job Chis

Look for a DecoColor acrylic paint marker, extra wide, extra large, at your local hobby/craft store. It has a 3/8" x 3/4" flat end felt tip. Works excellent for painting raised lettering/details.

Think 'magic marker' on steroids.

Back