Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your work is absolutely gorgeous!! The 'TWINS sound factory-fresh. These original P
series saws (PB,PT, PD,PF,&PG) are argueably the best sounding saws ever produced.:msp_thumbsup:
Tell us about that pristine chain... IELs forever!!

Joe, That saw is absolutly awsome.
I have always loved the look of those Pioneer
twins and someday hope to own one. She
sounds saweeeeeet.

Lee

Thanks Lee glade you enjoyed it . I hope you find one some day my friend . But when you do you may not want to post it lol . I have had so many People want to buy the twins lol . :cheers:

Your work is absolutely gorgeous!! The 'TWINS sound factory-fresh. These original P
series saws (PB,PT, PD,PF,&PG) are argueably the best sounding saws ever produced.:msp_thumbsup:
Tell us about that pristine chain... IELs forever!!

Thanks found the bar and chain hanging on a wall when I went to buy a couple of saws o couple of weeks ago . It looks like it was never sharpened . Lucky for me the owner was willing to part with it . You could not have meet a nicer Person .

P-40 Evilbay carcass.

Seller stated it ran but wouldn't drive the chain. Also, claimed the starter only caught occasionally.

Well I guess!:msp_ohmy:

attachment.php

Otherwise, a good ol' chunk of mag. saw.

P-40 Evilbay carcass.

Mo.Jim donated the P-40 carcass back to me again for Parts. (It has made two round trips now) From it, I got a good rim drive/drum and a working recoil starter. After not too awful much pulling I got him running and cutting.

Really, really ugly pup.

attachment.php

Needs a longer bar but, the 15" Remington was the only game in town.

P-40 questions:

Did some come with compression release and some not? The plastic ratchet starter seems to be somewhat fragile.

And: What is the official Oregon bar mount pattern? Baileys bar selector turns up D196 which has a 3/8" slot. That would be sloppy on 5/16" studs.:confused2:

Did some come with compression release and some not? The plastic ratchet starter seems to be somewhat fragile.

And: What is the official Oregon bar mount pattern? Baileys bar selector turns up D196 which has a 3/8" slot. That would be sloppy on 5/16" studs.:confused2:

If it has 5/16" studs, then a D196 bar (or Windsor UXL) with an 'S' clip stud spacer would do the trick. You can also make spring stud spacers with a 3/8" hardware store coil spring. Depending on the wire gauge of the spring, you'll need to cut it so that your spacers are about 4-5 coils tall. It's a bit tricky, but makes some nice usable spacers.

A D176 should work even better, as that's basically a D176 with a slightly narrower tail and a 5/16" slot (and therefore requires no stud spacers). That's Oregon's current 'multi fit' bar mount for midsize Echos, 10-series Macs, midsize Poulans, and the early XL-series Homelites (XL-12, XL700/800 series, etc). I still have that NOS Pioneer branded 5/16" slot 26-28"ish .058G hardnose that I mentioned to you earlier....

question for pioneer experts

Is there an online or print resource for Pioneer part numbers?
I have a stack of IPLs, but am looking for a way to figure out quickly what, for instance, this part is.
IMG_007_zpsd0b69f9b.jpg

IMG_006_zps574a2f1e.jpg

I have hundreds if not 1000+ NOS parts with just a part number to identify them by, would like to sell to folks here and on Ebay, but I have no idea what most of them are and figure a listing of just a part number will garner little response.

Thanks in advance for any help
Dave

P.S. are pioneer IPLs common or scarce?

I have hundreds if not 1000+ NOS parts with just a part number to identify them by, would like to sell to folks here and on Ebay, but I have no idea what most of them are and figure a listing of just a part number will garner little response.

Thanks in advance for any help
Dave

P.S. are pioneer IPLs common or scarce?

Chainsawr, above in the site sponsors, has a good selection of the most common ones.

The most sought after would be the thin rings used in the P-40 types and pistons and cylinders.

The wise evilbay shopper always starts a search with the part number.:msp_thumbup:

Coil spring bar adaptor trick.

Found an extension spring at my local Ace hardware. 3/8" O.D. x .035" wire size. Cut two lengths of 4 coils that worked perfect.

Double Ugly now wears an 18" Windsor sprocket nose UXL mount from a Homie.

Sudden thought: I have three saws that need bars that have 5/16" studs.

Need to make more spacers.

Last edited:
Yes! Cut up a coil spring for spacers. 5/16" I.D. and .030" music wire.

I have lots of Homie/Remington bars.

Thanks Aaron.

Found an extension spring at my local Ace hardware. 3/8" O.D. x .035" wire size. Cut two lengths of 4 coils that worked perfect.

Double Ugly now wears an 18" Windsor sprocket nose UXL mount from a Homie.

Sudden thought: I have three saws that need bars that have 5/16" studs.

Need to make more spacers.

I love it when a plan comes together! Wish I could take credit for the idea. IIRC it was Tim who mentioned the hardware store spring trick a few months ago. I followed his suggestion.........and then passed it on to you.

P-40s came with the bendix type starter early on, then they went to the pawl system like a P-41. They take a D 007 (NLA) bar but a 009 will fit in about 5 minutes if you have a good file.

UNLESS you have one with the small studs, then yes, you need spacers.

Last edited:
P-40s came with the bendix type starter early on, then they went to the pawl system like a P-41. They take a D 007 (NLA) bar but a 009 will fit in about 5 minutes if you have a good file.

UNLESS you have one with the small studs, then yes, you need spacers.

To my eye, a D007 mount looks almost identical to a Windsor UXL mount. Same 3/8" slot and tail profile. D176/D096/D196 type separate oiler holes, PLUS 10-series Mac style oil passages from the adjuster holes to the bar groove. Most D007 bars I've seen have been .058G. I have an almost NOS 20" 70-DL D007 mount Poulan Pro branded RSN bar (that I bought NOS on feebay). Ran it a bit on my Poulan 4000 with an 'S' spacer.

To my eye, a D007 mount looks almost identical to a Windsor UXL mount. Same 3/8" slot and tail profile. D176/D096/D196 type separate oiler holes, PLUS 10-series Mac style oil passages from the adjuster holes to the bar groove. Most D007 bars I've seen have been .058G. I have an almost NOS 20" 70-DL D007 mount Poulan Pro branded RSN bar (that I bought NOS on feebay). Ran it a bit on my Poulan 4000 with an 'S' spacer.

The DOO7 mount is the same as the Homelite mount except there is one major difference most of the time. That is the chain DL count! D007 24" 84DL, D196 81DL just for a example.

The Poulan/Echo style D176 mount will go right on the Pioneers with 5/16" studs, well at least it did on the ones I tried like a P-41

Latest posts

Back