Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hear is anther col saw that belong 2 P62 it came to life again this week for the first time in years hope to try it in some wood soon before I hand it back to Jefff

That sound is music to my ears Joe. Excellent job on the saw as usual.
Looking forward to taking some of the new treasures to this years shows

Hello fellas. Just received a pair of 650s. Hoping that questions are allowed that may already been asked. What thread is the clutch nuts on the RA and 650s?
On the 650s the pot seal appears to be inside quite a ways. Is that normal?
How would the magneto be set on these saws? I presume they must use a 'master' of some sort?
Thanks in advance
Walter

Hello fellas. Just received a pair of 650s. Hoping that questions are allowed that may already been asked. What thread is the clutch nuts on the RA and 650s?
How would the magneto be set on these saws? I presume they must use a 'master' of some sort?
Thanks in advance
Walter

Check your inbox for some helpful documents.
As far as I can remember, the nuts are the opposite of most saws. LH on the flywheel and RH on the clutch. Someone else can give you a definite answer.

Check your inbox for some helpful documents.
As far as I can remember, the nuts are the opposite of most saws. LH on the flywheel and RH on the clutch. Someone else can give you a definite answer.
Thank you Tim, removed the flywheel and indeed it is LH. For the clutch will need a thin wall socket.
Cheers

Thanks in advance
Walter

Right hand on the clutch nut, 9/16 socket if I recall. You'll need a puller and small bolts to pull the spider. Don't try to pull against the drum as you'll break the bearing over the key. Allegedly, Pioneer made some late model splined clutches that just slide off. Everyone of that series for me has been straight keyed.

Chris B.

Thank you.
Cleaned points, set to .020 lubed felt and ignition is back together. Good spark
Will order a carb kit tomorrow.
New question, how to get good starter pal engagement on these F/M pull starters?
I cleaned and lubed the starter on one saw, cleaned and dried friction discs but starter no longer grabs in the flywheel cup. How do I proceed?
Walter

As Tim suggested.

I haven't had one of those Pioneers apart. But, I have had success with other FM starters by blasting off the friction washers with carb cleaner. Rough them up with sand paper and put the assembly back together dry and completely oil-free. Sharpen the friction shoe plates while you are at it. If the cup is worn, the sharper edge on the shoe plate will help grab a bit better.

Will do, it was working until I cleaned it! Groan......
Learning curve.
I did work in a saw shop for nearly a year when construction was slow. I had a great boss and wished I had paid more attention.
Wasn't interested in saws back then, hooked now.

And, assemble it correctly. The 'magic fingers' should extend in a 1/4 turn of the pulley.
6eeb32f5ae9a4ae64d03a2d88548eda6.jpg

722ae596144769cae3a9e22ad2984fca.jpg

Do not oil the washers!
ade67446230ac805b48edf0bc8bd7cc2.jpg

Shim the spring for max pressure if there is room.

Ml12, that is brilliant. That is something I can do as well!

Thanks! I go for about a 0.004"~0.006" interference fit. Pop the cup in the oven at 400 for 10 mins and the insert in the freezer for half an hour and they should just drop together.

You do have to open up the cup a bit to get the bore even. Be careful how thin you machine the cup though as it could crack when it contracts on the insert. I can't remember the size of the aluminum pipe I use, but it doesn't require any boring out of the ID. The OD has to be cut down quite a bit though. I use a 3/16" end mill to just touch the inside to create the divots.

The Pawl sharpe edge is 27 degrees, and stamped with a Bar and should be on side marked SE. lf edge to sharpe or cup surface to rough the pawls may catch in the cup.
Dull or 2 soaked fibre washers will cause slipping.

Thanks in advance
Walter

The lgn Timing will usually be correct if marks on the stator and bearing housing are aligned. torque retaining nut to 25-30 Ft lbs torque

I think Stihl had a similar type of cup insert on some of their older saws. I am pretty sure I have one in the drawer with other starter supplies.

Yes, the 041AV has a plastic insert, and the 090 a metal one, I bought a couple thinking I could use them in other applications but the dimensions aren't right iirc.

Latest posts

Back