Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
After taking out and studying the Pioneer Master Service Manual and looking up the 1073 and 2073 there is no separate stud number listed for these saws, that would mean they must come integral with the right side saw case, in other words they seem to be non replaceable. A lot of the Pioneer horizontal cylinder chainsaws had replaceable bar studs but the case halves had to be separated to change them, these saws have separate parts numbers for the studs and the nuts. Broken off bar studs are rare, I can only remember seeing one come my way and it was on a model that was replaceable, the 1130, for that saw the bolt/stud part # was427659.
If one can be welded on that would be the next best route to try.
Pioneerguy600

briantutt

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
:cheers: I took only 1 hour 5 minutes to get him the answer. :cheers:

I claimed 14 seconds in another thread in jest :jester: knowing everyone's CAD here would reveal the answer in a very short time period.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
:cheers: I took only 1 hour 5 minutes to get him the answer. :cheers:

I claimed 14 seconds in another thread in jest :jester: knowing everyone's CAD here would reveal the answer in a very short time period.

Sorry, just got home from work.Not even had time for a bite, now where`s that plate of ham and taters. LOL
Pioneerguy600

Brmorgan

Brmorgan

Addicted to ArboristSite
There must be some way of replacing the stud, even if you had to split the case... The case is Magnesium and the stud is Steel, so they're definitely two different pieces.

I don't know how much I'd trust a welded stud. Your friend had better be a good welder with a MIG or TIG machine because working with small stuff like that with a stick welder is tricky business. Both pieces would need to be ground down to a point (like a blunt pencil) to allow some area for the weld to fill in & build some strength. If you were to just weld over the break, the crack would eventually work its way to the surface and break all over again eventually, not to mention that the bar would not fit down over the weld either.

Personally if I were in your situation and had nothing to lose trying, I'd cut the stud off flush with the case, drill the remainder out, and tap it & install a Helicoil. Then use J-B Weld (or Red Loctite) to secure a new stud which could be made out of a piece of threaded rod or a nice cut-off Grade 8 bolt of the same thread pattern as the stud. Are the Pioneers 5/16" NC? I can't remember. Either that or 8 or 9mm I'm pretty sure.

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
I would also like to say welcome to AS Grant and to the Pioneer thread.Now if I were you I would end this Pioneer thing right now,LOL! I was warned by Jerry that I would be inflicted with CAD but paid no heed.Now I can barely walk around in our garage.There is a some real Pioneer Gurus here that just love talking about Pioneers.Have Fun!
Lawrence

Last edited:
pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
I would also like to say welcome to Grant and the Pioneer thread.Now if I were you I would end this Pioneer thing right now,LOL! I was warned by Jerry that I would be inflicted with CAD but paid no heed.Now I can barely walk around in our garage.There is a some real Pioneer Gurus here that just love talking about Pioneers.Have Fun!
Lawrence

Hey Lawrence, can you post some picts of that big Pioneer, don`t remember seeing that model here on the Pioneer thread. Clean it up and get it on, should be good for some more pages of posts.
Pioneerguy600

briantutt

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
There must be some way of replacing the stud, even if you had to split the case... The case is Magnesium and the stud is Steel, so they're definitely two different pieces.

I don't know how much I'd trust a welded stud. Your friend had better be a good welder with a MIG or TIG machine because working with small stuff like that with a stick welder is tricky business. Both pieces would need to be ground down to a point (like a blunt pencil) to allow some area for the weld to fill in & build some strength. If you were to just weld over the break, the crack would eventually work its way to the surface and break all over again eventually, not to mention that the bar would not fit down over the weld either.

Personally if I were in your situation and had nothing to lose trying, I'd cut the stud off flush with the case, drill the remainder out, and tap it & install a Helicoil. Then use J-B Weld (or Red Loctite) to secure a new stud which could be made out of a piece of threaded rod or a nice cut-off Grade 8 bolt of the same thread pattern as the stud. Are the Pioneers 5/16" NC? I can't remember. Either that or 8 or 9mm I'm pretty sure.

I agree, the weld needs to be full penetration. grind one flat, one to a point and tig/mig it to full diameter.

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Hey guys I found a Super 620 on ebay, Thought someone here might have an intrest in it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pioneer-620-cha...in_0?hash=item4a9ab60c98&_trksid=p4999.c0.m14

Thanks for the post gink595, with a little cleanup and possibly some paint it could look like this one.

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Pioneerguy600

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hmmmmm!

Hey Lawrence, can you post some picts of that big Pioneer, don`t remember seeing that model here on the Pioneer thread. Clean it up and get it on, should be good for some more pages of posts.
Pioneerguy600

Hi Jerry
I'm a little tired this evening so I'm missing something from the above post of yours. Could you help me out?
Thanks
Lawrence

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Hi Jerry
I'm a little tired this evening so I'm missing something from the above post of yours. Could you help me out?
Thanks
Lawrence

Sorry Lawrence, I am the one getting mixed up, you have the 700-750 picts on here, just backed up and found them. Got so many requests on the go right now both on here, on my 2 eMail sites and the PM`s got me all shook up.LOL
Those chip deflector skirts were available from Pioneer, their part # for the deflector was 427990 and the rivets were 428007 for the long ones and 427992 for the short rivets. These were an option and most ones that I seen in use were homemade and installed by the operator.
Pioneerguy600

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pioneer Skirt

Jerry no worries about the mix up,your one busy guy!Jerry,how can you tell if it was a Pioneer skirt or homemade job? If I cleaned it up a bit could you tell.I mean if that's a Pioneer part on there I think I should leave it.
Thanks
Lawrence

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Thanks for the post gink595, with a little cleanup and possibly some paint it could look like this one.

IMG_1355.jpg

IMG_1350.jpg

IMG_1774.jpg

Pioneerguy600

That is beautiful. The one I bought cleaned up very nice but not that good. I should go take some recent pics of of cleaned up. I found a 30" hardnose bar for it, but the sprocket I bought to convert it to 3/8 don't fit it. If anyone has a 3/8 sprocket that fits the 600 series I'd be interested in swapping the one I have for it, I don't care if it used as long as it's still usably. I'll see if I can find the box to let you'll know what it fits. Here is the before pic of my garage sale find Super, I'll post some with it cleaned up later.

pioneer006.jpg

pioneer008.jpg

pioneer010.jpg

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Jerry no worries about the mix up,your one busy guy!Jerry,how can you tell if it was a Pioneer skirt or homemade job? If I cleaned it up a bit could you tell.I mean if that's a Pioneer part on there I think I should leave it.
Thanks
Lawrence

If its riveted on then most likely its a Pioneer part from the factory, although they could be bought separately as a kit or from stock parts. What does it seem to be made of, hard to tell in the picts. Maybe take it off and clean it up a bit, then look at how it is attached. Let me know what you find out.
Pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
That is beautiful. The one I bought cleaned up very nice but not that good. I should go take some recent pics of of cleaned up. I found a 30" hardnose bar for it, but the sprocket I bought to convert it to 3/8 don't fit it. If anyone has a 3/8 sprocket that fits the 600 series I'd be interested in swapping the one I have for it, I don't care if it used as long as it's still usably. I'll see if I can find the box to let you'll know what it fits. Here is the before pic of my garage sale find Super, I'll post some with it cleaned up later.

pioneer006.jpg

pioneer008.jpg

pioneer010.jpg

That would make a real good restore candidate, I also have a NOS Pioneer 620 Super, never had a tank of gas put through it.
Pioneerguy600

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
It runs pretty strong, It takes 5-10 pulls and off she goes. Kinda neat to run. I think I'm going to leave it the way it is, I kinda like the used look of it, shows it age a bit and gives it character. I really looks like a different saw now that it is cleaned up, really good condition for the age.

Latest posts