Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
It runs pretty strong, It takes 5-10 pulls and off she goes. Kinda neat to run. I think I'm going to leave it the way it is, I kinda like the used look of it, shows it age a bit and gives it character. I really looks like a different saw now that it is cleaned up, really good condition for the age.

Why are you trying to convert it to 3/8" chain, can`t find .404.?
Pioneerguy600

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
Why are you trying to convert it to 3/8" chain, can`t find .404.?
Pioneerguy600

No the bar I bought is 3/8" and all my other chain is 3/8" too. I thought I was set on a 3/8 sprocket for it, had it paid and everything but the guy said he didn't have any left when he went to pull it from his inventory, to late I was already stuck with the bar....

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
No the bar I bought is 3/8" and all my other chain is 3/8" too. I thought I was set on a 3/8 sprocket for it, had it paid and everything but the guy said he didn't have any left when he went to pull it from his inventory, to late I was already stuck with the bar....

In the previous post you say you got a new 30" hardnosed bar for the 620, the hardnose bars can run any pitch chain, they are not designated to pitch just gauge. I guess that our parts source must have shipped my order to me before trying to fill your order, although I placed my order a couple of weeks after giving you his name.
Pioneerguy600

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
In the previous post you say you got a new 30" hardnosed bar for the 620, the hardnose bars can run any pitch chain, they are not designated to pitch just gauge. I guess that our parts source must have shipped my order to me before trying to fill your order, although I placed my order a couple of weeks after giving you his name.
Pioneerguy600

Really, well that would solve my problems for sure!! I didn't know that but I guess it makes sense, since there is no sproket. I'll go that route then, for the 2-3 times a year I might use it for entertainment purposes it should be fine. Thanks for the info.

After you gave me his name, I waited a bit longer to order becasue I couldn't find a bar in my price range, Then I found a close out special at Baileys for 15.00, Now thats what I'm talking about:biggrinbounce2: So that is probably why you got yours before hand. If you have a use for this other sprocket let me know, I'll send it your way for nothing;)

Can you get .404 in .050 gage?

gink595

gink595

Addicted to ArboristSite
I went and took some pics of it cleaned up a bit.

Pioneer010-1.jpg

Pioneer014.jpg

Pioneer017.jpg

Pioneer018.jpg

Pioneer019.jpg

Pioneer015.jpg

Pioneer016.jpg

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Thats a sweet lookin 620 Super now that it is cleaned up, nice bar also. Whats the gauge of that bar? A new .404 chain would last 10-15 years on a demo saw so it would hardly be worth the effort to change it over. That sprocket in the pict is not for the 400, 600 or 700 series Pioneers, probably fit later P series saws. Where its a Carleton I would need measurements to see what it fits. When I bought up a saw shops old inventory a few years back there were about 200 lbs. of clutch sprockets among the stuff, I could tell the RA and 600 series by eye, the others I have not taken time to check the numbers to see what they fit. Oh so much to do,so little time.
Pioneerguy600

briantutt

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
P25

How do I get this off? Remove the nut and use a puller like an old Scorpion snowmobile? It looks like there are two small threaded holes but that doesn't seem strong enough to fight the pull force...

attachment.php

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Pioneer Puller

Hello Brian
This is what I used for a flywheel puller.It's an orignal Pioneer part.Somewhere in this thread there is more about it but my computer is runing slow today and it takes a long time to search the pages.Propliner also knows the machine screw sizes.Not sure but I think Poulan dealers still carry ones that will fit.If you find more than one please let me know
Lawrence
Petesoldsaw-BrushKing2008022.jpg

Petesoldsaw-BrushKing2008019.jpg

Petesoldsaw-BrushKing2008024.jpg

Petesoldsaw-BrushKing2008026.jpg

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Sorry Lawrence, I am the one getting mixed up, you have the 700-750 picts on here, just backed up and found them. Got so many requests on the go right now both on here, on my 2 eMail sites and the PM`s got me all shook up.LOL
Those chip deflector skirts were available from Pioneer, their part # for the deflector was 427990 and the rivets were 428007 for the long ones and 427992 for the short rivets. These were an option and most ones that I seen in use were homemade and installed by the operator.
Pioneerguy600

Hi Jerry,Here are some pictures of the sprocket cover off the Pioneer 700 or 750 it looks like a factory job to me or a least a factory part.What is your opinion?Do you think there are NOS skirts around or maybe good used ones.A fella could probably make one but I don't know how you would get that permanent crease in it that you see.
Thanks Lawrence
Piponeer700-750sprocketcover004.jpg

Piponeer700-750sprocketcover003.jpg

Piponeer700-750sprocketcover001.jpg

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
I am going out on a limb here but I think that is a factory deflector and the riv-nuts are correct for the installation of one. The factory ones always reminded me of the material used to make crazy carpets, the kind that kids used for sliding on snow. Hard to tell what material yours is made of but looks the same, sort of plastic and nylon rolled into one. There was not a lot of 700-750`s made and sold in North America and were used mostly on the West coast. I had a 850 that is essentially a 750 with a geardrive unit 8 years back and sold it before I became interested in collecting saws.
Pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Just got back in from the garage, its been a good day for Pioneers. A young mentally and physically challenged lad that is sort of an outcast among his peers hangs out around the shop and woodyard. I had fixed him up a Craftsman chainsaw a couple of years back and he learned how to use it really well. Today I took some time and built him up a Pioneer P28 from a couple of parts saws that had accumulated under the workbench. The completed saw is a nice example of the P28 lineage and includes a chainbrake. After taking it out for a test run a fellow showed up with 5 big 600 series Pioneers that he has been telling me about for a couple of years, says hope you can use them even if just for parts. Each one turns over smoothly with compression and should run with some TLC.Before the day was over 4 more saws of another make were dropped off for the parts dept. Guess I will have a few project saws for this winter.
So, how was this weekend for the rest of the Pioneer posters?
Pioneerguy600

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Another Big Haul HUH!

Well,Well,Jerry,you see there is true to the old saying You Get What You Give! Your kindness towards that challenged young fella has come round to help you,even when you were not expecting it.Good on You Jerry!
Lawrence

PS Nothing new in chainsaw acquisitions,but after cleaning up the sprocket cover on that big Pioneer I really like it.If I'm right it's over 100cc.Man it's heavy though!

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
The 700 or 750 are both 107 cc saws, as far as we know you are the only one with one that has posted picts of one on the Pioneer thread. That was a nice find on your part. I could really kick myself for letting my 850 go but some day I will find a model J and all will be right with the world.
Pioneerguy600

WesternSaw

WesternSaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
Model J

Jerry,there was that fella in Ontario that had a model J supposedly, he was the fella who was 86 years of age.I have been back and forth with him many times.He told me in the last email that he had to pay $10.00 for a cardboard box to ship a saw.What the Heck are you talking about Man! I really don't know if it is worth trying to work something out with him.He has three nice Pioneers besides the Model J.Imight send the money and never see a saw.He lives in a secluded part of Ontario
Lawrence

pioneerguy600

pioneerguy600

Lost in Space
Staff member
. AS Supporting Member.
Jerry,there was that fella in Ontario that had a model J supposedly, he was the fella who was 86 years of age.I have been back and forth with him many times.He told me in the last email that he had to pay $10.00 for a cardboard box to ship a saw.What the Heck are you talking about Man! I really don't know if it is worth trying to work something out with him.He has three nice Pioneers besides the Model J.Imight send the money and never see a saw.He lives in a secluded part of Ontario
Lawrence

I know what you mean; I have been buying, trading and collecting saws now for a while and some of the characters that I have come across when trying to get a deal signed/closed is worth writing a book about. Some deals are straight forward while others take on some really strange twists, some take years and others are still open after 5-6 years of negotiating. I have heard of a couple of model J`s and sent one seller a email asking for a total for the saw plus shipping. Got a couple of replies from them saying they don`t get to the Post office often, don`t have access to shipping materials, no Purolator service in their area etc. Asked them for their address so that I could have someone pick it up and they don`t like to give out their address in fear that someone might come and rob them. May or may not hear from them sometime in the future, just try to keep all channels open. LOL
Pioneerguy600

briantutt

briantutt

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not as good as yours but I did get my beat up P25 down to just the clutch and flywheel needing to come off. Took plenty of pics so I can get it back together. I plan on blasting and painting the painted parts. This is the first saw I will take ALL the way apart. I did notice that even though it looks just like my 1073 there are subtle differences like double piston rings, tighter vents on the recoil...

propliner

propliner

ArboristSite Guru
Good to see lots of action on the Pioneer thread. I was out camping and using a P50 and a 655 to cut wood for some BIG fires. I should have snapped some pics and will next time.
A young east coaster who drank too much beer flipped his quad and broke his neck beside our campsite. Waiting five hours for an ambulance put a damper on things.