Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi i've got my neighbors p61 and he just got some work done to it, a carb kit and spark plug i think but i can't seem to tune to where it wants to snap open.

it was at H-one turn out L-one turn out when i got it and it wouldn't idle for more than a couple seconds.

now it will idle for awhile at L-1 and 3/4 turns out i think but wont rev up (it quits) and it still doesnt idle very well.

does anyone know the jet settings on this saw ? how about the screw on the otherside of the carb ? its tight in, is that right ?

thanks

Too rich probably. Raise the idle screw and lean out the L a bit. The H jet has a check valve in it, and it is most likely stuck. You need to clear it out to get the saw to rev up.

thanks
its a walbro. not sure if the kit was done correctly since i didn't do it. i'll try messing with it a bit more and maybe try to give you guys some more info. if the H was stuck like you said how do i unstick it?

A bit more action on the 650, piston fully finished and installed

5673095908_521170ed2e_o.jpg

Cylinder rebored and installed, looks a bit better now :msp_thumbup:

5673095912_514c7b7ac9_o.jpg

Got a bit better shot out the exhaust port as well.
Fired it up and run it in with some easy cutting, sounds so much crisper and more responsive, revs harder too, so very pleased with the results so far :cheers:

Pie,n,ear650 , you do some really nice work.:clap:
What kind of compression are you getting now and is there any chance you could get a video of that beast running?
Kevin

Thanks Kevin, i just tested the 620 and that gives 125lbs. The 650 gives 120lbs, i lost some compression with the new piston due to the different crown, and i guess its still bedding in. I can get some more back by skimming the head some more as the squish is still a bit wide :msp_wink:
As for video, i will try but i am not that familiar with doing it, but will give it a go.

Last edited:
Looks good Mark,..I like that bar.

Yeah I think I like it on there as well and I might just leave it there. I had had that one on my Echo CS900 and it is a big Husky mount filed out to a 3/8's slot.

I think I may be going to .404 on the Echo so this bar maybe a perfect match for this one since I plan on running it some when I can and enjoying it.

Cylinder rebored and installed, looks a bit better now :msp_thumbup:

5673095912_514c7b7ac9_o.jpg

Got a bit better shot out the exhaust port as well.
Fired it up and run it in with some easy cutting, sounds so much crisper and more responsive, revs harder too, so very pleased with the results so far :cheers:

Man that looks good. I know I've said it before, but you do nice work.

I'm discouraged!

:confused2:Okay guy's I'm a little bit consumed with my thoughts,wonder if you guy's can help me a bit.Maybe some different way's to look at things.I have been working in the garage to try and straighten out one big mess I have in there.Well to help things out a bit I have started to box up all the saws i have accumulated since I became afflicted with CAD.All this because I eventually want to rebuild some of them,I just can't seem to find the time.Some of you fellas can probably get up in the early hours of the morning and keep busy till midnight,I know one such Energizer bunny on here like that but shall remain anonymous.I just can't do it man.As a few of you know I run the house,laundry,meals,housekeeping,lawn mowing,house fixing all that is included in the job.My wife works at her job outside the home.I'm bagged by 9:00 PM.I also take on a few side jobs as well when I can handle it.I'm telling you all this because I'm hoping I'm going to get to these saws one day and have a bit of money invested in this hobby.So will I make it to them.Maybe I should thin them out a bit.I think I' might build a shed next year and just get it through my brain not to acquire anymore saws till I have worked on the ones I presently have, most of which our Pioneers.Sorry for the run on boy's I just got to vent from one saw guy to others.
Thanks for listening
Lawrence

It's hard to make time Lawrence, for sure. I work very long hours for 8-9 months of the year. When I get home from work in the summer it's always cut grass, paint the shed, weed the flowerbed....you know how it is. I try and cut a bit of firewood every weekend all summer just to spread the work out. So I don't end up with much time for the saws.
I could work on them in the winter but I don't have heat in my detached garage which is also my workshop. I may fix that this year if I can find the money.

I sort of stopped buying saws except for the really good deals, or the ones that I have been looking for forever. I actually have sold a couple, but I still seem to buy more than I sell.

Don't give up Lawrence, you will get it all done eventually. At least that's what I keep telling myself.:laugh::laugh:

Pioneer 700 added to the collection

This one came in the other day.
Pioneer 700, Not in to bad of shape. Nothing broken,
or cracked, Just missing the fuel bowl, latch and screen.
Great compression and runs on a prime. As soon as i find
the parts it should be a great runner.

Lee

Pioneer700002.jpg

Pioneer700004.jpg

Pioneer700006.jpg

Pioneer700008.jpg

Pioneer700009.jpg

:confused2:Okay guy's I'm a little bit consumed with my thoughts,wonder if you guy's can help me a bit.Maybe some different way's to look at things.I have been working in the garage to try and straighten out one big mess I have in there.Well to help things out a bit I have started to box up all the saws i have accumulated since I became afflicted with CAD.All this because I eventually want to rebuild some of them,I just can't seem to find the time.Some of you fellas can probably get up in the early hours of the morning and keep busy till midnight,I know one such Energizer bunny on here like that but shall remain anonymous.I just can't do it man.As a few of you know I run the house,laundry,meals,housekeeping,lawn mowing,house fixing all that is included in the job.My wife works at her job outside the home.I'm bagged by 9:00 PM.I also take on a few side jobs as well when I can handle it.I'm telling you all this because I'm hoping I'm going to get to these saws one day and have a bit of money invested in this hobby.So will I make it to them.Maybe I should thin them out a bit.I think I' might build a shed next year and just get it through my brain not to acquire anymore saws till I have worked on the ones I presently have, most of which our Pioneers.Sorry for the run on boy's I just got to vent from one saw guy to others.
Thanks for listening
Lawrence

I hear ya. That's why saws get fixed "very slowly" at this house. I just pick one and tinker when I can. After awhile I get a runner. I don't have heat out in the garage either so I putz along in the basement. I see little saws at garage sales now and pass them up because I went from 1 to 19 so I am a little more picky but it is a good hobby. You get a useful piece of machinery when finished and it always feels good to hear a 10-20 year old dust collector fire up and be ready for work.

Keep pluggin away, no schedule but the one you make :rock:

This is a bad hobby to be involved in if you can`t make time to work at it. It is also a pocket drainer as buying the saws are only a part of the costs of rebuilding them. I get more satisfaction from rebuilding them than in buying them but that`s just me. When I look around at all the running saws I have in my collection I know that is my satisfaction with this hobby. What I learn as I tear into them and the feeling of satisfaction I get from building a properly running engine is what keeps me involved.

Thanks!

Thanks for the encouragement fellas! I know I'm not alone.Jerry, I remember what you said when I first got into this hobby,I can't say I wasn't warned.LOL!I know one thing I'm sure glad spring is here.I think maybe I should give myself a slap as here I am whining about my time and I have spent 2 1/2 hours watching every Canuck hockey game.It is great family time though!
Lawrence

Back