Pioneer chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KZ There stepped down in size, bigger in the case smaller on the bar.if they are the same as an RA or 620, pm me your address I'll try to get them out this weekend.....Perry
I missed the post Perry, I really don't know if the studs are the same, but the case holes look like 3'8's if I remember. I sure would give them a try, I will pm you.

Has someone tried a P-40 coil with Atom module on a Farmsaw to replace the infamous blue coil?

I have a Farmsaw II here with no spark.[emoji31]
I think I read somewhere that the Homelite SXL(or one of their models) coil will work. Let me try and find that and I'll get back with ya.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Has someone tried a P-40 coil with Atom module on a Farmsaw to replace the infamous blue coil?

I have a Farmsaw II here with no spark.
emoji31.png

I think I read somewhere that the Homelite SXL(or one of their models) coil will work. Let me try and find that and I'll get back with ya.

Farley9n used a Homelite coil on a Pioneer lamination.
pioneerguy600 does similar with any number of different coils (there are/were more posts about this in this thread by pioneerguy). I remember one where he talked about removing/trimming laminations to allow the coil to fit the Pioneer lamination. I've separated the blue coil from the lamination (later reinstalled) on one of my Farmsaws. It was really quite simple. I hoped that might get it to fire... didn't.
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-chainsaws.70698/page-375#post-4010503
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-chainsaws.70698/page-197#post-2450266
http://www.arboristsite.com/community/threads/pioneer-chainsaws.70698/page-196#post-2448530

Finally made a clutch puller made. Now the crank pulled and the main case is cleaned up. Guess now the next thing is find piston rings. Anyone got any leads on piston rings for the s620? Talked to a local repair shop said the closest thing he can get it a 56.1 x 1.5. Think it'd work or is it to small?

Pioneer/Partner P52

A buddy brought me this saw and said can you get it running? Among other things, what I need right now is a new piston and rings. Should I try to bump him up to the P62 jug, or does that that require some modification/machining?

So, anyone have something kicking around. Can I get a Meteor piston for it? What size?
I've been looking on ebay, chainsswr, etc for an oem piston but with no luck.

Thanks, Erik

new to me Farmsaw and new to saws in general

Hi Guys.
First time on this sticky thread. I picked up a Farmsaw sunday ($40), nice chisel chain, bar looks OK. Did a compression check but it seemed low to me...90psi. Do these have an auto compression release-yes? Filled it with mix and bar oil. Well it still fires up OK... and it ripped through a big piece of red oak just fine. since at 66cc it is now my biggest running saw.
My question for the Pioneer knowledgeable is. after the cut, I flipped the saw on it's side to try and determine the conditon of the crank seals and it did die.... repeat.... died again. I'm wondering if these are known to have weak crank seals or might it be gas puddleing up in the reedvalve box or crankcase that gets upset when it gets flipped on it's side? Added... it does seem to have a rather long time to idle down until the chain stops moving.....?vacuum leak?
thanks

Hi guys finally back...
On my farm saw I need to pull off the oil pump gear to change the cranks seals.
I measured the gear and it shows 13TPI or 2mm pitch.
I'm guessing 2mm is the one.
The gear puller in the service manual is pn 474329.
anyone know of a source? or can give me dimensions of a real puller?
I'll make one or several if a demand exists.
I am reluctant to remove it without a good tool. I butchered a similar husky 55 pressed on gear using a pipe fitting as suggested on AS forum. Cheap enough to replace at $9 + $tool, I don't want to repeat on this Pioneer FM. It seems to nice a saw to butcher up...and parts may be infinitely more difficult to find.
Thanks

Pioneer/Partner P52

A buddy brought me this saw and said can you get it running? Among other things, what I need right now is a new piston and rings. Should I try to bump him up to the P62 jug, or does that that require some modification/machining?

So, anyone have something kicking around. Can I get a Meteor piston for it? What size?
I've been looking on ebay, chainsswr, etc for an oem piston but with no luck.

Thanks, Erik
A P62 top end should bolt right up, unless I'm missing something. But a P52 can be a real animal in anything but really big wood, especially after some modifications.
Here's my P51 w/ a P52 top end (essentially the same) versus my 655BP:

I cheated big-time on this comparison. One saw has a professionally-ground chain, and the other is hand filed, same as I've done work chains for 30 years. 15% faster than the bigger, badder saw on that day.

I think that you can use a 1/2" 0r is it 3/4" pipe coupling and a 3" pipe nipple to pull that. If it's really tight you will have to weld a nut on one end of the nipple and run a bolt thru it to work as a puller.

Those are a couple nice saws William! I'd love to know more about that filter setup you have running there if you'd be willing to share. Here's a little cutting i did with my 455 today. Would love to have a cone filter though :)

Those are a couple nice saws William! I'd love to know more about that filter setup you have running there if you'd be willing to share. Here's a little cutting i did with my 455 today. Would love to have a cone filter though :)

Don't you just love the torque of a reed valve saw? I have a couple of old P45s, same as your 455 but not as pretty. Mine are real pigs on fuel consumption, as was my P42. That's one reason I don't use them very much. Wondering if you 455 is like that.

And heck yes, I'm willing to share anything I know. But I'm a little burnt out right now from a guy being snotty on another site when I shared some proven chain filing secrets. (The little video above gives you an idea of the results I'm talking about.)

I'm using some old velocity stacks, milled from aluminum, that I bought as aftermarket items from a Pioneer dealer in the early 80s. I have what I think is an improved design that I'm seeing about getting 3-D printed, and I hope to get some made for guys like you. And I don't intend to make any money on them.

hopefully that didn't turn you off that site... I was one interested in yer v stacks...
Yessir! I haven't forgotten you. I'm waiting for a busy young engi-nerd lady to finish the 3-D drawing of the v-stack on her computer. Should only take her a few more minutes. Thing is, she'll do it for me for free (when she ever gets around to finish it), and that will keep our cost down. I'll be sure to let you know, if this ever comes to fruition.

A P62 top end should bolt right up, unless I'm missing something. But a P52 can be a real animal in anything but really big wood, especially after some modifications.

Thanks for the info. I'll try to source a P52 piston before I go looking for an intact P62 then.

Anyone have any details regarding a piston? I've got a part number... is there a Poulan model that will have the same piston, or a recommended aftermarket option?
Thanks

Don't you just love the torque of a reed valve saw? I have a couple of old P45s, same as your 455 but not as pretty. Mine are real pigs on fuel consumption, as was my P42. That's one reason I don't use them very much. Wondering if you 455 is like that.

And heck yes, I'm willing to share anything I know. But I'm a little burnt out right now from a guy being snotty on another site when I shared some proven chain filing secrets. (The little video above gives you an idea of the results I'm talking about.)

I'm using some old velocity stacks, milled from aluminum, that I bought as aftermarket items from a Pioneer dealer in the early 80s. I have what I think is an improved design that I'm seeing about getting 3-D printed, and I hope to get some made for guys like you. And I don't intend to make any money on them.

Yeah buddy, not much better than that. My buddy wondered why my 455 pulled so much better than his 044...hehe. I haven't noticed it being a real fuel hog, but i don't have many "sippers" to compare it to either. Hadn't got enough run time on my 655 to find out how bad it is just yet. It came with that 20" HN Poulan bar on it. It was a pretty low hour Fire Dept saw that rode the truck most of the time. :) The 455 came PHO so i switched it. The 655 deserves something more substantial i think.

I'll be more than happy to listen to chain filling secrets... Whatever you did on those seemed to be really making chips stack up, and quick! Lol

As for the v-stacks, count me in if/when she gets on the ball with those. I'd def love to have a couple.
uploadfromtaptalk1439249228930.JPG

Back