Pioneer P51 piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello again folks. It has been a while since my last reply and I have done a little bit more work on the P51. The Saw is completely taken down and ready for media blasting. I also tinkered around with a custome filter system. I bought a pioneer filter cover that was made for a top filter setup like a concrete/cutoff saw. I cut a hole out of the top and had my brother machine a aluminum filter adapter that is like a huge bolt and nut with the center bored out and chamfered to act as a Velocity stack. I then found a Mr. Gasket hot rod type filter setup and mounted it to my adapter. It looks OK but kind of bulky. I could take the Mr. Gasket setup off and find a K&N tapered filter to mount to the adapter if I don't like the Mr. Gasket setup. I also found a Power Products Go Power pyramid reed cage that I am going to try and have my brother machine a adapter to mount on the saw in place of the pioneer reed cage. If I do all this I will want to port the cylinder to have any type of power gains so I have been looking to see how to port a pioneer p-series saw cylinder. There is not a lot of room to port the cylinder so I was wondering if machining the cylinder wall out at the port points would work. I watched a youtube vid on the Jonsered 920/930 and the guy said that jonsered originally had a cylinder like the p51 but was not impressed with the power so they machined out the cylinder walls at the port sided to gain more space and power. Does anybody have any experience with P-series porting for more power?

That,s a nice set up you have there here is my set up i took air filter cover from a p40 that is flat cut a hole around just left a strip in the middle to put a bolt on used a KN filter drilled a hole on top put the knob on does,t look professional but not to bad looks good to me

Attachments

• saws 205.JPG
    saws 205.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 32
  • saws 206.JPG
    saws 206.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • saws 201.JPG
    saws 201.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • saws 199.JPG
    saws 199.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 29
  • saws 202.JPG
    saws 202.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
That,s a nice set up you have there here is my set up i took air filter cover from a p40 that is flat cut a hole around just left a strip in the middle to put a bolt on used a KN filter drilled a hole on top put the knob on does,t look professional but not to bad looks good to me
I like the way the K&N filter you used looks. I think I will look for one, do you know the part # on the filter you have?

I wanted to see if the v-stack adapter my brother made actually did anything for the saw so I borrowed my dads P60 and tested it out. I did notice that the throttle response is better and the saw seems to rev up better but it might just be in my head. I tested with stock and then the custome setup but did not have a good piece of log to time test with. I also discovered that the cover setup I made will have to be sealed with foam or RTV ect, because there is a sealing problem with the rubber carb insert where the stock fiber filter fits in.

Hey any time your set up looks good but if you use a air filter cover that is flat like mine it would sit lower it would look better

OK here is a little bit of an update on the P51. I received most of the parts I had ordered today including a Husqvarna/Stihl case splitter. The splitter does not quite fit the Pioneer P-series saws but I was able to bend the end to make it fit over the crank. You can push out the starter fan side but the clutch side is to long for the tool. I found a deep socket that fit over the splined end of the crank and poped it out of that side of the case with a dead head hammer. other than that the tool worked great. I also had ordered another piston because the P50 piston I got off of lilredbarn.com was to tight and I did not like the end gap of the piston rings. Also, the rings on the lilredbarn piston were thick and I wanted the thin rings. I found a NOS Poulan Pro 525 piston and it ended up fitting perfect. I kept the lilredbarn piston and will use the new piston pin and retainer clips off it to put on the 525 piston. My NOS p51 rings fit the 525 piston perfect also. I also got the NOS crank bearings in but have not installed them yet. Does anybody have any tricks to getting the old bearings off?
I know this is going back in time, but do you recall what the correct crankshaft bearings are? I thought they were 6202 C3, but I got a NOS P50 crank, and the 6202 C3 bearings slide on and off too easily.

Back