Piston Carnage

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gmax

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
This P/C is off a Stihl 034, more damage than I was expecting :msp_ohmy:.
I will use a aftermarket 036 P/C if it will fit?

1Custom-5.jpg

2Custom-1.jpg

3Custom.jpg

4Custom.jpg

That looks nasty.. From the looks of it, either some chrome plating broke lose (least likely). ring broke (more likely) or cir clip (most likely) Then again a screw from 1 of the carb butterfly's could of worked lose and sucked into the engine. That is my guesses

The cir-clips are fine, I think it was a broken piston ring that was the culprit, It could have been a lot worse at least the bottom end is good.

WoW!

That baby got hot enough to smooth out the damage and flow the aluminum of the piston! It's almost like a 'hot spot' on the top of a piston!

How much of the end of that ring is missing?!

1Custom-5.jpg

That baby got hot enough to smooth out the damage and flow the aluminum of the piston! It's almost like a 'hot spot' on the top of a piston!

How much of the end of that ring is missing?!
About 1/2", another one to add to the project list ;)

The Stihl 034 is running again with a aftermarket 036 P/C fitted

1Custom-7.jpg

2Custom-3.jpg

A couple things I noticed,

It wont start or even pop if I use the decomp valve, but it starts easy without using it.
The crank end is slightly bent sprocket side, over tightning a hot chain I suspect, the bearing and seal are still good.

Looks good man! How's she running?
I should have taken a picture of this 372 that came in to the shop that the customer put a xp pistion in a xpw cylinder, broke a 1" crown off the piston top from the ring up. Must have been some slapping going on in there!

Good work Wayne, they are great saw. You are going to love using it.

Al.
Thanks Al
Looks good man! How's she running?
I should have taken a picture of this 372 that came in to the shop that the customer put a xp pistion in a xpw cylinder, broke a 1" crown off the piston top from the ring up. Must have been some slapping going on in there!

It's running pretty good, I expect it will run even better after a few tanks of fuel.

Back