Piston pin clip install

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That`s what you gots the big thumbs for, to prevent the escape of said springy clip, if you cover all but the very outer edge of the clip with your thumb and really press in on it the clip has not escaped from me , even the once or twice it did not go directly into place it was still there for a second try. Some fellows swear that they put a clear plastic bag over the whole assembly just to catch an errand clip, that may work for some but it would just hinder me too much, especially the sight line, eyes aren`t what they used to be.
Pioneerguy600

I dont see any info as to the location of the clip opening. MAKE SURE the opening is at 12 or 6 oclock. Getting them in is 1 thing. Getting them in CORRECTLY,:clap: is what matters. May the mechanical angels smile upon you.

I dont see any info as to the location of the clip opening. MAKE SURE the opening is at 12 or 6 oclock. Getting them in is 1 thing. Getting them in CORRECTLY,:clap: is what matters. May the mechanical angels smile upon you.

I agree. I have heard that if they are at the 3 or 9 o'clock positions, due to the high rpm, could weaken and come out.

Waylan

get them in, in any position they will go in.
after that i use tiny precision needle nose to grab the clip in the little notch in the piston. then moving 1/2mm at a time i rotate the pin gap to where i want it.

Take one of the little stihl tuning screwdrvers and file a v notch into it. It works like a charm. Mine is about the same as the one below but has a smaller notch and the notch is off center.

Koles046build013.jpg

http://www.arboristsite.com/showpost.php?p=957956&postcount=10

Great idea. One can get the Stihl tuning screwdrivers for 10 cents each or from your dealer for free. I notched about four of them for this very purpose. One ain't lived till a cir clip comes flying out and hits the dog in the butt. Barked for like five minutes.

Dumb dog, no I take that back, :censored: dumb chainsaw hack.

:hmm3grin2orange:

This is the one I use the most, I have three of them in the tool boxes and they are pretty much the same, the notch is closer to one side, that is the side that goes closest to the piston pin bore.

2010%20Trip%20to%20Alaska%201304.jpg

Pioneerguy600

Reading this thread might have saved me from blood blister on thumb

I put a new piston in a PP260 last year. The circlips on these don't
have a curl to grab, just a circle with gap, didn't think about notching a screwdriver. I knew the arrow on piston points toward exhaust, but
never thought about indexing circlip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back