Pitch Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brettl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
This is probably common knowledge for most of you but I'd like to learn a bit more about it. In reading different posts, I read references to .325 and 3/8 pitch as they apply to different motor sizes, bar sizes, pin counts and bar profiles. I'd appreciate it if some of you would inform me as to the pros and cons of these two pitches in general. Or, if I need to be more specific, a limbing saw with a 12" bar, a 30cc with 16" bar and a 70cc with a 26" bar. Where do the other options like pin count and bar profile come into play? I really appreciate your input.

Last edited:
Sprocket size determines chain speed, the larger the sprocket the faster it goes. Smaller sprockets provide less speed and better gearing for longer bars.

The pitch is the distance between 3 rivets divided by 2. The larger the number ( .325, .375, .404) the greater the profile of the tooth and the more material you remove. Larger pitch chains are designed for larger saws.

Gauge is simply the width of the drivers on the chain or the groove in the bar. The gauge needs to match between the bar and chain and the pitch needs to match between the chain and sprocket(s). The wider the bar groove the greater the amount of oil that can be pulled to the end of the bar, thus why you find .063 on long bars.

I think someone posted in the past that Madsen's has some info of this sort on their website.

Thanks Guido. My 200T , Craftsman 18"(actually a rebadged Redmax) and Husky 235 must be using low profile chains since they're small saws, I notice the packages say Pico and Micro so I assume this means low profile. I have an Echo 360, Stihl 025, 250, 3 028's, and an 11AV and with the exception of 1 028, they all have 3/8 drive. All these saws are from different parts of the country. Makes me wonder if there is a lot of uninformed people like me out there or dealers pushing 3/8 pitch regardless of saw.

Thanks Guido. My 200T , Craftsman 18"(actually a rebadged Redmax) and Husky 235 must be using low profile chains since they're small saws, I notice the packages say Pico and Micro so I assume this means low profile. I have an Echo 360, Stihl 025, 250, 3 028's, and an 11AV and with the exception of 1 028, they all have 3/8 drive. All these saws are from different parts of the country. Makes me wonder if there is a lot of uninformed people like me out there or dealers pushing 3/8 pitch regardless of saw.
You are correct. Most saw manufacturers put the 3/8 low profile chain (or AKA picco) on saw about 40cc's and less. Its the same pitch just alot smaller cutter and chassis in general.

Guido hit the nail on the head.... very good explanation. Yes Madsen's has a very informative part on there website. Its well worth reading.

The smaller the gauge, also means a narrower kerf, So less wood removed with a smaller saw means a faster cut. I just found some 3/8 low pro .43 gauge chain. that I'm trying out on my favorite carving saw. Also 1/4 pitch chain goes around a smaller radius/ a dime tip detail bar & has more cutters to the inch of chain, & gives a smoother cut.

Latest posts

Back