planter bed help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rb_in_va

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Here is a pic of a planter bed I plan on re-doing. I want to take out the bush on the left entirely and put in some sort of stone path. I will trim the middle bush WAY down, then plant something smaller like hostas. Suggestions?

Usually I'd rather preserve the bush than remove it, but no question the one in t=front of the door could go.

Hard to ID the middle one' is it in flower? Can you get a closer pic?

Hostas good for filling in low shady areas. PM TreeCo if you want a good deal on some.

treeseer said:
Usually I'd rather preserve the bush than remove it, but no question the one in t=front of the door could go.

Hard to ID the middle one' is it in flower? Can you get a closer pic?

Hostas good for filling in low shady areas. PM TreeCo if you want a good deal on some.

Guy,
I agree with preserving if possible. The one in the middle is a holly bush I think. It has white flowers and red berries. I'll try to get a closer pic tomorrow. I should just be able to zoom in on a high res pic and crop it. The former owner trained the holly to grow up the side of the house.

I will keep Treeco in mind. I often pass by him on I-95 on my way to Florida. I know he is the hosta king.

Yeah it looks like a holly. Interesting that it's espaliered; you seldom see them trained that way. A novelty worth preserving?

btw that bush by the door could be transplanted somewhere else; no sense killing an asset if there is room for it elsewhere.

treeseer said:
Yeah it looks like a holly. Interesting that it's espaliered; you seldom see them trained that way. A novelty worth preserving?

btw that bush by the door could be transplanted somewhere else; no sense killing an asset if there is room for it elsewhere.

I thought about transplanting the bush to the spot in the attached pic. About the espaliered holly, I checked that link you sent Dan. The location of my espalier sounds perfect (blank brick face, south side of house). Maybe I can just trim it back some.

Here is a closeup pic of the bush I want to take out and transplant to the other side of the house.

TreeCo said:
You had better wait until fall for the move. It may pay you to push a spade into the ground the size of the root ball you plan to take around this shrub to do some root pruning now in prep for the fall move. I still can't ID the shrub. Can you get a closer shot of the leaves and twigs?

Your largest shrub sure looks like a pyracantha in your latest pic.

Dan, that was the closest I could zoom in with the pic I have. I'll try to get another one soon. Thanks for the advice on the transplant. I've got enough renovation projects inside to keep me busy till fall. Would it be okay to at least trim up both plants now?

Maybe I can get Guy to stop by next time he is in Va Beach for a consultation on my trees and plants, eh?:)

Here is a closeup of the bush.

Dan, you want to trade some hostas for an epalierated pyracantha? The wife doesn't care for the thing. At the very least it will get a heavy pruning if we keep it. What others plants do you cultivate?

TreeCo said:
You are going to have to show more respect for plants if you want any of my hostas.

It's not like I planted the thing! You've never cut down a healthy plant? Nevermind, I'll just get some hostas at Walmart.:D

I'll be up there when the blooms fade; best time to prune the pyracantha. I'll have the tools and make you a deal you can't refuse.;)

Has the wife seen the pyracantha in the fall and winter? Berries are gorgeous.

treeseer said:
I'll be up there when the blooms fade; best time to prune the pyracantha. I'll have the tools and make you a deal you can't refuse.;)

Has the wife seen the pyracantha in the fall and winter? Berries are gorgeous.

Guy, sounds good. When do the blooms fade? Shoot me an email when you get close to coming up this way.

It's not so much about the type of plant, the berries, etc. She just doesn't like big bushy plants. I agree witht hat to an extent. I would rather have more smaller plants than one gigantic bush. Know what I mean?

Dan, don't post angry!:D

TreeCo said:
I'm not angry RB.

I get lots of request for hostas. Some start out asking what is the cheapest you've got? What are their names? How big do they get? Where can I plant them? etc.

I don't get angry at them but I do realize fairly shortly that they are not hosta collectors.......and hosta collectors is who we market to.

I saw some nice hostas at Walmart yesterday. Good prices too, under $4 for a one gallon pot. Of course they only had six kinds......but all six were good cultivars.

I knew you weren't angry. Didn't you see the smily? I didn't even know people collected hostas. After going to your site I realized some of yours are obviously rare. I'm not into them enough to go to a lot of trouble, but I like them a lot. They will definitely have a place ion the landscape. Just have to trim back the pyracantha to make room.:D

the 'bush'

It surely looks to me like a rather wild (untended) mugho pine. Absolutely one of my least favorite landscape plants. Folks are taken in by the description that always emphasizes the word 'dwarf'.....however, that is a relative word in the world of conifers.

I have a client in Stowe, Vermont, who has mughos that have never been pruned since being planted 45 years ago. They are 12' -15' tall and wider than they are tall. I've managed to turn them into interesting, somewhat Oriental-looking trees - but they are d@mn sure NOT dwarfs by most peoples' thinking.

Free for the taking!

Anyone want an espalierated pyracantha and or a mugho pine? I don't have time to get to them right now, but eventually these plants will be going bye bye. I'm in Hampton, VA

rb_in_va said:
Anyone want an espalierated pyracantha and or a mugho pine? I don't have time to get to them right now, but eventually these plants will be going bye bye. I'm in Hampton, VA
My motherinlaw in va bch will take them. Can you deliver?:D

Or, I can come over and haul them in early october, if you :givebeer:

treeseer said:
My motherinlaw in va bch will take them. Can you deliver?:D

Or, I can come over and haul them in early october, if you :givebeer:

I'll take door number 2! You want free plants AND beer? I don't keep beer in the house, but coffee, soda, or tea is readily available. Also I have a new grill that I love to use.

treeseer,
You coming up to VA soon? The pyracantha awaits. The mugho pine is gone though, sorry.

How about Sunday the 31st. I'll need a break from the m.i.l. then. Do you have access to a trailer?

I'll trade you a willow oak for it. :)

Kate Butler said:
It surely looks to me like a rather wild (untended) mugho pine.

the one in front of the door? thats what I thought.
the big thing in the middle we have here, big bushy, woody-viney, thorny things. most folks here want them out once they see how big the get.
-Ralph, who is trying to forget his landscape plants!

begleytree said:
most folks here want them out once they see how big the get.
Ralph, pyracantha are well worth the maintenance hassle in the right place with the right support. my m.i.l. has a lot of sun, a need for screen, and a love for birds.

Latest posts

Back