Plastic Restoration

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jackjcc

jackjcc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Hey guys

I had a sun baked 024 that had extremely faded plastics with some baked in oil stains. I found a thread on using boiled linseed oil and paint thinner to restore the plastic and remove the sun fading. I'm posting my results.

At first I took the top and air filter covers and gave them a wash with degreaser and a tooth brush, and they came out sparkly like that vampire in those vampire movies the girls watch:

ure4emy4.jpg

Not sure how well that will turn out (I post from my phone) but the little flecks is the light reflecting back. I then took some 180 grit and gave the pieces a wet sanding. This got the oil stained bits cleaned up. The only trouble I had was getting in close on some edges and corners.

e4a4edyj.jpg

a5ahyra2.jpg

zyre2e8a.jpg

Then I mixed up my 60% paint thinner 40% blo and set up. I used two methods and the results were fairly similar. First method I just wiped it on, second method I buffed it in with 0000 steel wool. The stool wool buff jobs seems better than the wipe on method.

ugugazam.jpg

unu4epyh.jpg
yja7ynaq.jpg

Looks good to me and it was a pretty simple process. The cost for the quart sized jugs was about $7 each for the thinner and oil.

Definitely worth it and if you can measure liquid proportions it's easy to do.

JivaGo

JivaGo

ArboristSite Lurker
What about using some sort of polishing/rubbing compound to smooth/shine the plastic surface at some point?

cgraham1

cgraham1

I feel old
I've done a few that I sanded down and washed and then sprayed an industrial clear laquer with extra catalyst added. They look pretty damn good when they're done. I guess I should test their resistance to gasoline and see if they hold up.

I know it's not plastic, but this saw was badly faded...image.jpg

Latest posts