Playhouse almost done....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I need to mill more siding, but have a line on some Cedar, so I may pull the ash off and redo all the siding with Cedar if theres enough.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great job, hey that little guy is lucky to have a Dad like you. Looks like a great fort to defend from snowball attacks, and launch them at attackers in the yard. Is that a sandbox underneath?

Yes, his sandbox was existing. I orginally wanted to build it over the stump, but figured it would be better served covering the sand, shade and cover from the elements and Silver Maple helicoptors.

So far the only things used in the construction I bought are the 4x4 posts, and the Cordura panels for the roof.

I also need to get the railing on the "porch," and cut in a couple windows. Its still up in the air if we are going to add a slide, fire pole, or swing off one side.

Cool stuff. That's a great thing for a kid to have. Looks a whole lot better than the fort my boys are building from slab wood & scraps. :laugh:

But they're having fun with it.

BlueRidgeMark said:
Cool stuff. That's a great thing for a kid to have. Looks a whole lot better than the fort my boys are building from slab wood & scraps. :laugh:

But they're having fun with it.

Slab wood and scraps would be awesome!! I hadnt thought to go that rustic, maybe when we get out of the city.

Looks very good, but it seems to me that it's a long way for a small boy to fall? Maybe you should put sand underneath for a softer landing?

Good job. But it might be a little dark and hot without windows.

Your first instinct was correct....I would have used the stump as the base for the platform/floor.

CaseyForrest said:
I also need to get the railing on the "porch," and cut in a couple windows.

Hmmm, I think he's got that covered Sap. Maybe I'm reading too much meaning into his statement.

Newfie said:
Hmmm, I think he's got that covered Sap. Maybe I'm reading too much meaning into his statement.

(Pssst: The rough openings for windows get framed at the same time as the rest of the walls do.)

Saps correct, rough openings do get framed in with the rest of the rough. Thats if you know where you are going to put them. A REAL carpenter can add them later, with no ill effects.

Thanks for the kind words though Sap, I appreciate it.

CaseyForrest said:
Saps correct, rough openings do get framed in with the rest of the rough. Thats if you know where you are going to put them. A REAL carpenter can add them later, with no ill effects.

Casey I like the real carpenter part..LOL:hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Last edited:
CaseyForrest said:

Nice playhouse Casey.

Make sure you use adequate headers on those load bearing walls, We wouldn't those enormous loads to bring the place crashing down.:D

Sap, it's just a playhouse, shall we critique the blueprints. Where's the pictures of the grape-stake fence?

Newfie said:
Nice playhouse Casey.

Make sure you use adequate headers on those load bearing walls, We wouldn't those enormous loads to bring the place crashing down.:D

Sap, it's just a playhouse, shall we critique the blueprints. Where's the pictures of the grape-stake fence?

Don't laugh too hard, because when you're dealing with odd structures such as this, that's exactly what you have to do....figure it to take enormous loads. Because even if your own kid doesn't have a bunch of friends, you have to figure that it is very likely that at some point that structure will be packed with kids, and having it collapse on them is not an option.

The fence wasn't scheduled for construction until after the new garage next to it is finished....and that's getting close. By the way, the stack of unstickered cedar slabs with the tarp on it is doing fine....no mold, and no splitting (unpainted ends too). LOL!

yeah yeah memories are great but the real benefit is the ability to hide new purchases from the wife in there :laugh:

brian660 said:
yeah yeah memories are great but the real benefit is the ability to hide new purchases from the wife in there :laugh:
wait... I thought the side door to the house that leads right down into the woodshop was for that... you mean all this time I could've been hiding them in the kids playhouse?

Back