Playing with chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played with dressing angles on the silvey ,got the side cutter to stand up more ,feels sharp to the touch ,will try it next weekend see if any different .
Am I seeing this correctly ........... looks like rear leaning side cutters ?

Played with dressing angles on the silvey ,got the side cutter to stand up more ,feels sharp to the touch ,will try it next weekend see if any different .
View attachment 417388 View attachment 417389
Should feed great. But you'll notice that it's going to pull your saw down in the rpm range some. Higher rakers are something I'm starting to come to terms with lol

Am I seeing this correctly ........... looks like rear leaning side cutters ?

some lean more than others ,depends on how the tooth rides on the wheel ,all pretty close ,depends if right to left are adjusted the same ,1/8 of a turn makes the cutter different on the adjusters

Should feed great. But you'll notice that it's going to pull your saw down in the rpm range some. Higher rakers are something I'm starting to come to terms with lol
That same chain was self feeding real nice with more forward lean yesterday ,in softwoods ,fir /cedar/alder ,when resharpened last night changed my dressing angles only so the side would be more up and down ,chips were not tearing with the forward lean it had in softwood ,will see when i cut next if it makes any difference what i did .

Those will cut good Brian..
The edge feels a but sharper with the finger test ,i am cleaning up a bunch of junk logs some are dirty ,i will try to get a pic of the chips before do too much work with it ,Fyi flush cutting stumps dull the square chains after 1 stump ,i have a bunch to flatten out ,no more good chains for those ,have about 10 on the last sharpen or so ,those will get used and tossed lol

some lean more than others ,depends on how the tooth rides on the wheel ,all pretty close ,depends if right to left are adjusted the same ,1/8 of a turn makes the cutter different on the adjusters

That same chain was self feeding real nice with more forward lean yesterday ,in softwoods ,fir /cedar/alder ,when resharpened last night changed my dressing angles only so the side would be more up and down ,chips were not tearing with the forward lean it had in softwood ,will see when i cut next if it makes any difference what i did .
I wasn't aware of the wood. Should be nice and smooth through that stuff. Looks nice.......jealous of your grinder

I have never cut pine except construction lumber ,it may be a little softer than doug fir ,and harder than the cedar ,People seem to say maple is a hardwood ,but it cuts easier than fir in my opinion ,at least when it it live and wet still .
I agree with that if you're talking about silver maple. But black maple cuts a lot like oak.

I have never cut pine except construction lumber ,it may be a little softer than doug fir ,and harder than the cedar ,People seem to say maple is a hardwood ,but it cuts easier than fir in my opinion ,at least when it it live and wet still .
But cutting Norway Pine is great until you start limbing. Cuts real clean when the pitch isn't running. I'd still have to say that Cottonwood and Poplar are nice tree's to make a saw look/feel good.

i cut a few pine today, not with the chain in my pic but one i started to get that way. it was really smooth but didn't get as big a chips as usual...........more trial and error is in order.

i cut a few pine today, not with the chain in my pic but one i started to get that way. it was really smooth but didn't get as big a chips as usual...........more trial and error is in order.
Just an FYI.. If chips exceed 1/2 - 3/4", your rakers may need dressed a bit. High rakers can actually make for longer chips.
Sounds backwards eh?

Sorry no chain videos today, I had to copilot a car buying adventure. And it's been raining all day, which is par for course.

i just took down two yard trees.....favor.......different chain yet, nice long chips and very smooth. guy said they were some kind of hybrid poplar, cut like butter and they did stink.

Latest posts

Back