Please Boycott Dolmar OPE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lakeside53 said:
Must be time for a real Stihl! MS441 coming out real soon...:D

I'm with you Lake, time to put this Dolmar story to rest. Hell Dolmar has such a small % of the saw market they aren't worth talking about anyway. I feel for Tony and think they could have least notified him in advance. He sounded like he was giving them more sales than anyone else in the area he was in amd really pushing out their name for them. So much for piddlly Dolmar. No wonder they have such a small % of the market. Sounds like Dolmar just don't give a damn and thats fine with me, always got lots of Stihl's to choose from. Why bother with the midget when the "King" is everywhere.
Lake have ya gotton ya hands on any 441's yet to play with? Gotta ask ya too cause I was yaking with one of the guys down at Stilh not too long ago abot the 650. I told him they should have come out with something like a 560to fit in the line up between the 460 and the 660. Sometihng more on the likes of the 460 but a tad bigger. Whatcha think? I'm gonna keep hounding them till they hear me. If they come out with a 561 you can thank me...

spike60 said:
I don't think that we can expect either CPS or Dolmar to join us here in the Salem witch trials.

These matters need to be resolved by the parties involved, assuming that they are all mature enough to do so. They are NEVER resolved in a public forum such as this, where all of the posters can pretend that they are part of the inqusition.

As I've tried to point out to Tony, there are certain rules of conduct that need to be followed if you expect to resolve issues such as this. A public call for a boycott, against the wrong party no less, was, is, and will continue to be, the wrong strategy.

To make matters worse, in Tony's last post, instead of coming up with something positive, he states that he doesn't need either CPS or Dolmar. He says that MAYBE he was wrong to call for a boycott. Now that's a nice way to bury the hatchet, isn't it?

I hate to do this but it needs to be said........

Not to demean Tony's attempts to get his business going, but who needs him? What vendor needs a part time shop, that is selling oh, about 16 saws a YEAR? Half of them mail order; meaning that he is pumping a whopping 8 saws per year, about ONE SAW every month and a half into his loyal local customer base. How will Dolmar ever be able to withstand such a financial loss? Those numbers, combined with this boycott stunt, will certainly not make Tony's shop very attractive to other suppliers.

Doesn't anybody see that this is far more damaging to Tony than it is to Dolmar? Apparently not his lawyer friend, whose letter was typical of his profession: loaded with words; lacking of substance.

Just imagine that you are the sales manager for another saw company. You are reading this thread and seeing all of the mud that is being thrown at Dolmar. You know the situation and Tony's numbers. Then you get a call that he wants to sell YOUR brand. Gonna run right down there and sign him up?

Sedanman;
You think that this thread should be deleted? That would be the greatest blow to entertainment since CBS cancelled the Ed Sullivan Show.

Your logic may be right but hey you wasn't the one that got the boot so its easy for you to point out all the pro's and con's of the matter when your doing the monday morning quarterbacking. Dolmar needs all the Tony's they can get. Their share of the market is so small they need people like Tony putting out the good word for them. As for throwing mud at Dolmar I don't see where Tony said a bad word about the product itself. How would Dolmar feel if Central Power just up and said sorry, were not selling Dolmar anymore out of the blue after Dolmar had just made 50,000 saws for them. Dolmar would be begging for ever Tony they could find. As for who needs Tony, hey who needs Dolmar, apparently from the looks of their % of the market very few do. Don't just look at Tony's numbers to justify what happened, take a look at Dolmars numbers. Lets take Tony numbers up againist a big Dolmar dealer and lets take Dolmars numbers up againsit Stihl or Husky. Whats Dolmars excuse. Should they just close up since they are a zillion miles behind the big boys or should they get more Tony's to sell some saws??

The rep doesn't deliver the saws but he does make visits to his dealers and there is someone to manage all the accounts of all the dealers. It takes as much manpower and dollars to support a small dealer as it does a large one. It's all about economy of scale. It is NOT in the distributors best interest to support a small (in this case TINY) dealer, cold harsh fact of life but there it is.

Here's another thing to ponder: The IDN doesn't even know where all the Dolmar dealers are! Makita was VERY secretive with their dealer info and would not publish lists, hence no dealer locator on the old website. IDN reps are being sent out to contact existing dealers IF they can find them, and to set up new ones. There are new dealers being set up too close to dealers that have not been in contact with the IDN. There was/is a dealer survey on the IDN website for existing dealers to make contact and have first dibs with the new distribution system. Makita is very much to blame for some of the friction now taking place between established dealers and the new IDN. There is WAY more to this story than we were told, Tony doesn't know the whole story and likely neither does Central Power.

because i am self employed and like saws for work and a hobby. think dolmar is making a big mistake. most people in tree business wheather it be firewood, logging, tree service or any other aspect, that use chainsaws most, are small business and do not like the way big business work, or we would probly work for one.if dolmar wants to sell saws to homeoners, they need to get a contract with wallmart.if they want to sell saws to workers in need of a product to do a job, and want a product they can rely on, they will not be going to wallmart to get it. seems dolmar needs to make up there mind who they want to sell saws to.i guess they could follow the leader like ford and chevy.people that use saws day in day out want the person that is selling them a saw to know what there are talking about.not someone selling car parts.there is nothing worse having to tell the peson selling you something about the product they are trying to sell.tony hope everything works out and do not foget you are not the bad guy in this mess ultimitly dolmar is.

I have nothing bad to say about Dolmar or my distributor. They now carry both Poulan and Dolmar which are lines that I had from from previous distributors. I do not bother my territory man unless something is really bothering me, DHL brings my product and I am the only dealer for these 2 lines for a heck of a ways. I feel they work with me because 1. Poulan screwed them by selling past them right to Walmart etc. and 2. nobody has ever heard of Dolmar and they realize that it will take some time.
I am in about the same boat as Tony as far as hours, sales volume and shop size/location. The only thing that is not the same is our distributors.(?!) This will most likely haunt me. With Dolmars market share work needs to be done to get the line known, myself I am trying to work with the county shop to get the saws known. I have 2 other dealers in my area that I would recomend to anybody, the one sells Stihls out of a little shed off the corner of a sawmill yard, the other sells Husky and milwaukee power tools out of a old brick middle school building. The rest are jerks that seem to be what fits the model of a modern dealer, people get POed with them and come see me. I try to get them going again, usually do. I try not to push a new saw off on them because they are complaining that is what the last guy did. When they decide to upgrade they come see me and that is when a new Dolmar is sold.

Hope things work out for you Tony. With Dolmars past history of distribution your distributor should be happy they have/had you instead of having to sell the things out of oversize gumball machines.

Marco said:
I have nothing bad to say about Dolmar or my distributor. They now carry both Poulan and Dolmar which are lines that I had from from previous distributors. I do not bother my territory man unless something is really bothering me, DHL brings my product and I am the only dealer for these 2 lines for a heck of a ways. I feel they work with me because 1. Poulan screwed them by selling past them right to Walmart etc. and 2. nobody has ever heard of Dolmar and they realize that it will take some time.
I am in about the same boat as Tony as far as hours, sales volume and shop size/location. The only thing that is not the same is our distributors.(?!) This will most likely haunt me. With Dolmars market share work needs to be done to get the line known, myself I am trying to work with the county shop to get the saws known. I have 2 other dealers in my area that I would recomend to anybody, the one sells Stihls out of a little shed off the corner of a sawmill yard, the other sells Husky and milwaukee power tools out of a old brick middle school building. The rest are jerks that seem to be what fits the model of a modern dealer, people get POed with them and come see me. I try to get them going again, usually do. I try not to push a new saw off on them because they are complaining that is what the last guy did. When they decide to upgrade they come see me and that is when a new Dolmar is sold.

Hope things work out for you Tony. With Dolmars past history of distribution your distributor should be happy they have/had you instead of having to sell the things out of oversize gumball machines.
I really like the little dealers who are dealing out of shed type shop. They are the best and will do whatever it takes to see you get the service that you need. They are the ones the truly DO appreciate your business. Good for you and I hope your distributor is better than Tonys. Like I said before 4:00 PM to 9:00 Pm works much better than 9 to 5.

I think everyone needs to step back and take a deep breath.

Dolmar wants to increase market presence in the states...they've got some great product, but need someone to establish a beachhead here. IDN agreed; but its perhaps a single member of the IDN consortium that has all of us with our undies in a bunch. And it might be a single field agent from that single distributor that has misjudged. Dolmar isn't very interested in sacrificing their relationship with IDN; how long would it take to find another distribution network?

I tend to agree with most here; every saw Tony sells is one more than none, and Tony probably has no need at all of the route guy's time. Unless there is someone nearby that is already a solid customer for their other lines, why not? But many posters have already addressed this issue.

So I think we're left with this: there is considerable buzz created around the new Dolmar line, lots of power at a light weight, and we all want one. But we don't want to be inconvenienced at all to get one, and we don't want to pay too much. We want the Dolmar line to prosper, so that they give Stihl and Elux a run for their money.

I'm impressed by the post a ways back by a NY outlet that started with Sachs-Dolmar when they didn't even have a USA importer...this shop recognized an opportunity and took advantage of it, even if it meant doing all their own legwork. This fellow was being proactive, and prospered, while we're being reactive and having a ????? session. Tony was being proactive when he decided to sell a few Dolmar saws out of his garage, but has become reactive now that CPS has dropped him. And there lies the danger of being reactive...you lose some of the advantages of insight, creativity, and the ability to find new options when you are forced (or jump) into reactive mode.

If Tony really believes in the line, he may find a way. If Tony really believes in his customers, he definitely will find a way. I know a guy who works on Japanese, especially Toyota cars and trucks; he has new and used parts on hand, a few used cars, and some repairables and junkers out back. He does very well because he believes in Toyota and believes in the folks that believe in economical, dependable transportation. His reputation was built on solving problems for people, not just fixing cars, if you get my drift. Tony is building a rep on helping woodcutters out; he'll do fine

As for the rest of us, if we want a Dolmar, someone near you will have an account with one of the IDN distributors: they're the main outlet for Briggs and Stratton OEM parts and whole goods in the USA.

http://www.integrateddistributors.com/dealer/index.html

Very well written, but I would not buy a Dolmar now. IDN is to thank for that. Perhaps Dolmar should take a long hard look at IDN. Every dollar I spend on a Dolmar, would in sense be a percentage of a dollar for IDN. I never really cared for Briggs all that much anyway, Kohler is a much better motor in my book. Look at the amount of hits this thread has had. If you think it is not bad PR for Dolmar, you are kidding yourself. They are the ones who need to step up to the plate and make things right, not Tony. He already has lost, they are still losing. In my belief, it is just bad business practice. If they would make a move to make things right, I would be telling everyone I could that Dolmar is a great company and how they care about their customers and their dealers. I know I am only one person, but there are over six thousand other people who have read this post and they all have a few friends who have friends I am sure. It ads up!

Last edited:
Factors which drive purchases are many, varied and ever changing. A product's reliability and price are certainly high on a buyer's list of reasons but given a choice of brands close in performance and price, other factors come in to play. Ethical treatment of employees i.e.(fair labor practices and safe working conditions), environmental responsibility in manufacturing, parts availability, attitude of shops, etc. are all part of the buying mix.
The bottom line is that it's my money and I'm more comfortable living in a world with shops like Tony's as well as larger businesses like Cuttinscott and 166 and if a distributor for a particular brand doesn't understand the "why" in my perspective then two things will occur: The distributor will continue their practices as they deem best and secondly I will not buy their product.
Will I hurt Dolmar in my singular fashion?- NO, but will I feel better knowing I didn't help them either.
Forums are wonderful places where information is exchanged and for better or worse, opinions are reached. A good example is Ben Walker. How many of us now use Mobil oil instead of Husky or Stihl? I suspect a great many. So no matter how "right" a company or distributor is, it's our decision and more importantly, our money.

I need Spike to post a summary of this thread, as I'm too dimwitted to comprehend the numerous thoughts and opinions that have been expressed. Spike, please use your superior intelligence to assist your lessors. Please.

Any Stihl & Husqvarna dealers wish to post their dealer requirements?
I know they are a lot more than Dolmar is asking for. Any Stihl & Husky dealer I've talked to say they have to purchase their brand: oil, bars, chains, safety apparel. As with the other products they sell: string trimmers, blowers, cut-off saws, edgers, hedge trimmers, pole pruners, residential mowers, commercial mowers, snow blowers & more.

Steve

That's B.S.!! At least as far as Husky is concerned! If I walk into my local Rural King, I see three (yes, three) Husky saws on an end-cap display. Period. I see no other Husky stuff at all. They don't have a parts department. let alone a service deparment. Nobody to answer any questions about the saws either.Which is one of the major reasons when I bought a new saw last month it was a Stihl. Dolmar? Fuggetaboutit! They don't have a dealer around here (Imagine that!)
:monkey:

Sadly, it's getting like this in the motorcycle business as well. Some of the distributors of aftermarket parts now have huge $$$ stocking requirements, huge $$$ minimum orders and are SUPER picky about who they will sell to. I had a bike shop in the late 80s/early 90s and found out very quickly about all the red tape you have to go through to buy from parts distributors. These aftermarket parts distributors are the lifeblood of small repair/accessory shops. I know the distributors do these kind of things to keep the little guys from cutting in on the big dealerships, but the average mom & pop (good service!) shops just can't stand the overhead of an expensive storefront anymore. There are NO decent saw shops near me and I'd love to open one but it would be near impossible to find an affordable location and I'm sure I'd run into the same type of problems if I tried to do it out of my shop at my rural home. I sure hope you're able to keep going man, good knowledgable shops and service are very hard to find these days! Matt
p.s. I won't be buying a Dolmar either!

Tony I'm a west coaster. The fact the nearest known Dolmar dealer is in a different state took them out of consideration for me. My favorite saw shop is Cutter's Supply in Enumclaw, WA. a Stihl chainsaw dealer. When I took my Pioneer to them they fixed it until the needed part was no longer available. Had I taken my Generac to them instead of the approved Tecumseh dealer I would have had it to power my well, fridge, and freezer during the last power outage. Where do you think I'm apt to purchase a replacement for my Pioneer?

If you can't regain your Dolmar standing Efco appears to be a fine saw. The only dealer I've located in the USA paints them Deere green. I'll wager they add a BUNCH of duckets to the price too!

Keep the faith, the Big Guy will see you you through this.
Lou

:censored: Dolmar!!!!!

:censored: Stihl Too!!!!!

I know I'm late on this thread but that is funny. Husky is one of the worst about screwing their dealers. You ever been to Lowe's, Sears, Tractor Supply, or on the internet? You may have had a bad experience with a Stihl dealer but from everything that I have ever heard the company as a whole is great. That is why I own all Stihl.

Bottom line for me is even though in my area Dolmar dealers don't truly exist and I even think some things are funky about them design wise, the 7900 is the funnest saw I've ever run. My life's too short not to be running the funnest saw.:)

Latest posts

Back