Please help,, I didn't know where to turn.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy1957

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Good morning.. I have a Crimson King Maple in my front yard. It's been growing beautifully since I planted it 9 years ago. I planted it in celebration of purchasing my first home, by myself. This tree is not only beautiful, but has great sentimental value.

I have loved and always wanted a Crimson King Maple since I've been an adult. They are not native to Maine, yet we see them everywhere.

It has been a long winter. Finally May shows up with all it's glory. The flowers are blooming and everything is green.

Then it began to rain about 10-12 days ago. So most of the flowers were not enjoyed as they usually are because they passed early or who wants to stand in their garden in the pouring rain?

(just trying to paint a picture here)

Over the last week or so I had mentioned to my husband and friend how weird the tree is growing, that the leaves on the top of the tree are smaller than at the ends of the branches, but overall it looked ok, just behind others in the neighborhood. Other than the lack of sun, I hadn't given this any thought. I really thought the tree was continuing to blossom.

Yesterday the sun finally appeared. It was a perfect day, about 76, warm and we were just so darn happy to see the sun.

When I came home from work around 6, I always admire my flowers and trees from the car, I just love spring!

OMG, my Maple tree has something wrong. The sun had dried up all the little tender leaves with the exception of the few larger ones on the end of one branch. I parked the car and ran to the tree. It is sick, nothing visible, definitely not a lack of water. It's just wilting like a tulip passing. I tried googling Crimson King Diseases and really didn't find anything.

Can anyone help me, tell me how to nurture this tree back to good health? I love, love, love this tree.

Last edited:
happy1957; Can anyone help me said:
Need to see a few more pictures.

Let's see a few more pic's of the base of the tree.

And an overall total pic of the tree. From a couple of angles.

Did you cut the wire off the rootball when it was planted? that tree looks like a goner to me, shame, they are georgeous. I regularly prune BIG ones here in Chicagoland.

Buy another one.:msp_unsure:

Tim, call me please, I found a treasure trove of manicured conifers for ya, property nearing foreclosure.....

Lets have a look @ the root/soil interface. Thats where most problems are.

I can offer more photos, but am not able to send them via this site, it continually tells there are errors, is there another option?

We planted this nine years ago, it was a potted plant from our local Agway store, not wire that I know of..

pics 68 and 69 show that you got dirt off stem which is good but we still cannot see the topmost root. use hose to rinse away dirt and hand pruners to prune roots growing around stem until you see the first original root growing away from stem.

that is the point that should be at grade

see attached

Girdling roots??

Good morning... First let me thank you fro replying, I appreciate your feedback and already feel better about the girdling issue.

I have uploaded more photos at the share site so that you can see the roots... They look fine from what we can see... they all seem to lead out away from the tree, witht hte except of the big one which sort of curved then moved away from the tree.
http://crimsonking2011.shutterfly.com/

Nice Pics

Now make sure you cover some of the lower roots up with soil and give a good watering. The soil looks a little dry.

Others will stop by and give you a better assesment.

Thanks for your help.... The tree isn't dry, I think it's just the photo.. it's been raining off and on for several days.. but we took out more sod around it and are trowing on some fresh compost, we will water it. We had an extremely dry summer last year, do you think that caused this stress on the tree?

Lots of leaf problems with trees this spring due to wet and cool weather.

Thunderstorm comming in here, have to log off.

I have uploaded more photos at the share site so that you can see the roots... They look fine from what we can see...

pics 93 and 94 show a big root that grows in and forks out, then girdles both sides of the stem. these roots should be cut off at that fork, then hose again and new pics.

this is a multi-step process; hang in there.

:biggrinbounce2:

Back