Poison Ivy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScoutmasterRick

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've been clearing some old pasture on my place that had been allowed to grow up with Black Willows and Tupelo Gum by the previous owner(s). It wouldn't be such a bad job if it weren't for the poison ivy.

I get by okay as long as I keep my sleeves rolled down. Occasionally the saw will send a chip from the poison ivy down the front of my shirt though. Makes for a really itchy belly button for about a week.

Sorry about the color but it's the best I could do with a phone camera and low light. The saw in the first picture is a Husky 268 with a 20" bar that I put in for perspective. The tree's branches have been removed, so all the stuff you see sticking out is poison ivy. Most of the trees aren't this bad, but there's hardly a one that doesn't have some poison ivy.

091809_18291.jpg

All the branches on the next two belong to the poison ivy as well.

091809_18271.jpg

091809_18261.jpg

I wouldn't touch that stuff. With chips flying everywhere, and the way I sweat and wipe my face...no way!!! On the other hand, I've watched my Dad rip it out bare handed and hardly know the difference!

I wouldn't touch that stuff. With chips flying everywhere, and the way I sweat and wipe my face...no way!!! On the other hand, I've watched my Dad rip it out bare handed and hardly know the difference!

Poison Ivy is strange stuff. I could handle it with no problem until sometime in my late 30's. Now if I'm not careful it will eat me up.

I only have to look at that stuff and I break out in a rash. One January I thought it would be safe to cut down an old stump that was covered with the p.i. vines. Not. The chips from the stump and vines got into my work gloves and that was all it took. Who catches p.i. in January--me?

Poison Ivy is strange stuff. I could handle it with no problem until sometime in my late 30's. Now if I'm not careful it will eat me up.

Thats interesting..... :cry: I don't get poison ivy at all - never have YET, at least!! but gosh that would be really annoying, if I started getting it as I get older!?? :chainsaw:

you can definitely develop a sensitivity to PI. i am not, but i treat it with respect. be careful handling the vines as they can remain potent for several years. also, burning them is not a good idea. the urushiol oil can be volitilized by the heat, and if inhaled it can cause swelling of the respiratory system leading to DEATH.

Thats interesting..... :cry: I don't get poison ivy at all - never have YET, at least!! but gosh that would be really annoying, if I started getting it as I get older!?? :chainsaw:
Yes. I can assure you it is. Never used to bother me and then about 15 years ago I developed a sensitivity. I give it a wide berth nowadays.

Earlier this summer my neighbor mentioned that he had a rash that a dermatologist could not diagnose. :confused: :dizzy: He described blisters, burning and itching. I asked if he had any poison ivy in his yard. He didn't know so we took a walk. I spotted it in the hedge along the property line and there was a big vine growing up one of his trees, berries and all. The individual leaflets (one of the three that makes a leaf) were as big as my hand. Now it's showing up in my yard too. :censored:

I'm surprised his doctors couldn't identify it. It's common in this area.

-walt

I'm in the camp of "can't even look at it or I'm in trouble."

I fight poision ivy every year at my Dad's tree farm. My weapons: Backpack sprayer and 24D. It is a battle!

I even have received "light rashes" when I mow through some areas with PI and the particles blow throw the air after the blades discharge the grass and PI. I'll get it on my neck, back, stomach. :(

I wouldn't even consider touching these trees you're working on. Not a chance.

Everytime I get near wooded areas or places I'm going to cut wood, I pay extra attention to my enemy! Where is it? ID it! Avoid it!

Good luck

Leaves of three let them be as grandpa used to put it.:cheers: I personally have never got it.

Having cut timber in VA and WVA, I have seen the worst from poisen vines.

Poisen ivy really gets me bad, poisen oak, I seemed to have become immune to it:givebeer:

both have sent my Pops to the hospital!!

I wouldn't go within 1 mile of those trees. They would just have to rot in place. Poison Ivy eats me alive. Best thing I have found to get rid of it is stuff called Tech Nu. Even it takes several days to start working, but it's better than nothing. I have tried everything you can imagine to get it off of me: gasoline, carburetor cleaner, parts washer solvent, bleach, lacquer thinner, you name it I've probably tried it at least once. I hate poison ivy.

Yes. I can assure you it is. Never used to bother me and then about 15 years ago I developed a sensitivity. I give it a wide berth nowadays.

Earlier this summer my neighbor mentioned that he had a rash that a dermatologist could not diagnose. :confused: :dizzy: He described blisters, burning and itching. I asked if he had any poison ivy in his yard. He didn't know so we took a walk. I spotted it in the hedge along the property line and there was a big vine growing up one of his trees, berries and all. The individual leaflets (one of the three that makes a leaf) were as big as my hand. Now it's showing up in my yard too. :censored:

I'm surprised his doctors couldn't identify it. It's common in this area.

-walt

What you describe for your neighbor sure sounds like the evil P.I. However, anyone working outdoors should be aware of another plant that can cause large blisters although it doesn't itch (from what I have heard). It's called Wild Parsnip and looks like a very large and coarse Dill plant. If you get the juice on your skin and then expose that skin to sunlight, you can get a very serious burn with VERY large blisters. I would bet that very few physicians have ever heard about it.
As for the plants growing in your yard............. I recommend Brush B Gone

Last edited:

Exact opposite for me. I used to get it so bad when I was a kid I am sure I developed an immunity. Let me tell you I had in in places you should not be able to scratch or sniff for that matter. I had it so bad once I could barely see.
Now I find if i get in a patch I make sure I DO NOT scratch and wash off any oil that could be left behind with a good soap. If I get a line or two it goes away in a day or two. haven't had a bad flare up in 20 years. Key is to wash it off before you scratch. Takes some focus to not scratch.

Is anyone else itching themselves just reading this thread ???

Last edited:
I only have to look at that stuff and I break out in a rash. One January I thought it would be safe to cut down an old stump that was covered with the p.i. vines. Not. The chips from the stump and vines got into my work gloves and that was all it took. Who catches p.i. in January--me?

Thats the thing about poison ivy, even when its dead in the winter you can still get it. True story I was snow blowing a drive way for a customer. Along the wall she had vines, I was running the machine w/out gloves and brushed along it. That night im itching my hand. The next day i had a small rash on the back of my hand, luckily i dont get it bad. The following spring i was doing a cleanup at the same house. I was picking up brush and leaves had gloves on, but short sleeves. Well not only did i get P.I. on my forearms, I developed a large red spot where my bicept connects to my forearm, got so bad I couldnt lift weights. So i went to the dr. and said this poison ivy hurts! Well I had poison Ivy plus a nasty spider bite! I learned my lesson. Long sleeves even if im sweating.

I cut a vine once that was as big as my lower leg.....like 5" in diameter.

Used to be horribly allergic to the stuff and then it started giving me less trouble as time wore on.....go figure.:monkey:

Exact opposite for me. I used to get it so bad when I was a kid I am sure I developed an immunity. Let me tell you I had in in places you should not be able to scratch or sniff for that matter. I had it so bad once I could barely see.
Now I find if i get in a patch I make sure I DO NOT scratch and wash off any oil that could be left behind with a good soap. If I get a line or two it goes away in a day or two. haven't had a bad flare up in 20 years. Key is to wash it off before you scratch. Takes some focus to not scratch.

I'll take that wood anytime.

Yep, as soon as you wash it is done spreading.

I have been subject to Poison Ivy breakouts for as long as I can remember. It can vary from very mild to quite severe. I do find that if you go to the Dr., treat it with script, and take a shot it will last for about a week. If I just wash it, rub anti itch, and wipe it with anti-bacterial wipes it will last 7 days.

I wouldn't go within 1 mile of those trees. They would just have to rot in place. Poison Ivy eats me alive. Best thing I have found to get rid of it is stuff called Tech Nu. Even it takes several days to start working, but it's better than nothing. I have tried everything you can imagine to get it off of me: gasoline, carburetor cleaner, parts washer solvent, bleach, lacquer thinner, you name it I've probably tried it at least once. I hate poison ivy.

Poison Ivy has ruined many, many summers for me and I just hate that :censored: stuff. I have also used Tecnu and found that it works very well. In addition, I have used a product called Zanfel which removes the oils from the skin and washes them away. It works very well, but also costs nearly 40 bucks an OUNCE. This summer I found that Cortaid also makes a skin cleanser very much like Zanfel but you get several ounces for under 20 dollars here.
Also, 2,4-D won't work effectively on poison ivy. Try Brush B Gone, it has a much stronger chemical (Garlon) and generally works with one or two treatments. It is good stuff, I've used it alot.
Good Luck

Funny I use to get it real bad as a kid now I cut in it almost every day and don't get it????? NOT that I want it .....:)

Latest posts

Back