Poison ivy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I noticed the berries on the ivy and the birds eating them. I'm going to make another round with my machete chopping vines so hopefully they die. Some of the vines are 1 to 2 inches in diameter. It got out of control way before I bought the house. It's a house in the middle of 5 acres of woods so who knows how old this stuff is.

If you cut them in growing season brush on glyphosphate/roundup ( > 40%) on the stump full strength to kill roots

This is making me itch just reading it , we bought property and it's loads with poison oak , I'll be making a cocktail and spraying as soon as the rain stops

I just bought this new sprayer: https://www.my4sons.biz/?variant=20327696708

I've got about 5000 sq/ft of poison oak on my 2 acres. The Round Up for Poison Ivy is pretty effective at knocking it back. I am making a hiking trail up and around my property, which is on a hill. Frequently, I carry one of the pre mixed spray bottles with me and hit the little stuff trying to re-establish itself. I figure it'll be a ten year process to eliminate 99% of it.

97e22bee-a425-4e7d-a5f7-b7051457806f_1.6f0b7c955125945fd121ca506040baf6.jpeg

I haven’t seen it probably 5 years, thanks EPA, but Spectricide made a “poison ivy/ brush killer.” Everything I ever sprayed with it died and made no attempt to grow back. Now I buy the glycophosphate in 2 gallon jugs at Rural King and mix it up and it does a good job but not as good as the Spectricide. I also have to avoid contact with PI or I’m getting shots.

WristSizedIvy.jpg

This coarse, hairy growth on the trunk of the White Ash is a mature Poison Ivy vine. As indicated by the watch, the vine can easily grow to the size of a man's wrist. The "hairs" allow the vine to grab onto the bark and grow up to the tops of even tall trees. Note that all parts of the vine contain urushiol, including the hairs. Using a chain saw to cut down such a tree produces flying poisonous sawdust.

Of course it will kill a tree over time, competes for water and other minerals in the soil. plus for sun lite in the tree top.

I alway cut the vine with an axe take a section out to kill it. Then if the tree is dead will drop it, then usea a scraper with a long handle to scrape it off usually takes the bark with it.

bully-tools-floor-scrapers-strippers-91300-64_1000.jpg

Also always have fels napa soap on hand to wash my hands and tools with.

:D Al

I have some of those hairy large vines around here. I did exactially what u said about chopping a section out, last weekend. I still have to scrape the vines off the trees I cut down but I was waiting till the snow is gone to cut the trees up. I hate those huge vines. I have small rash on my wrist. Idk if it didn't spread because I've had it so many times but I'm happy it didn't.

WristSizedIvy.jpg

This coarse, hairy growth on the trunk of the White Ash is a mature Poison Ivy vine. As indicated by the watch, the vine can easily grow to the size of a man's wrist. The "hairs" allow the vine to grab onto the bark and grow up to the tops of even tall trees. Note that all parts of the vine contain urushiol, including the hairs. Using a chain saw to cut down such a tree produces flying poisonous sawdust.

Of course it will kill a tree over time, competes for water and other minerals in the soil. plus for sun lite in the tree top.

I alway cut the vine with an axe take a section out to kill it. Then if the tree is dead will drop it, then usea a scraper with a long handle to scrape it off usually takes the bark with it.

WristSizedIvy.jpg

That’s a biggun!

I was told to clean cutting tools and pickaroon with gas or rubbing alcohol after use. Not sure if that’s effective as the guy who told me that was a bit out there but I haven’t had issues so far.

The oil in Poison Ivy and Oak is about the same weight as 10 weight motor oil. Being almost clear it's hard to see it on your skin. Most anything that will cut oil will take it off. Dish washing detergent will take it off, as will lots of bar soap. Gasoline will cut it, but has so many chemicals in it now a days, I don't use gas for cleaning anything on my body anymore. When I get it, I get it bad enough I need the cortisone pills. But, now if I work around it, I just take a hot shower and a new bar of soap and scrub till the bar is gone. Haven't had a bad case since I started doing that. Just remember it's an oil, treat it like taking nasty black grease or oil off your hands. A quick little squirt of soap and a quick rinse, like using a public restroom is not enough, scrub and scrub. Depending on the level or your tolerance, the time line of scrubbing can be from minutes to hours. If I scrub good within 8 hours I'm usually good. It takes a day to a day and a half for it to break out on me. How do I know? I rubbed it on both arms, washed one and not the other. YMMV, Joe.

No bad, just me being picky. Back when I was a kid, and my Dad had the contract removing Dutch Elm infested trees for the District of Columbia, my job was washing down all of the equipment with isopropyl alcohol. As soon as one of the climbers hit the ground I had to wipe down his hand saw, chain saw and spikes. We had gallons of it. Pretty much just sloshed it down the bar and chain of the saws. The climbers would drop their gear next to me, get a drink, grab a smoke, get their gear and head up the next tree. I never understood why we had to wipe down the gear then head up another diseased tree, it was already coming down?

For killing brush like plants, it's growth hormone herbicides in the Spring and glyphosphate in the Fall.
If you're going to use Triclopyr based herbicides, use the amine based formulations like Garlon 3A as it is slower acting and translocates to more of the plant before it the herbicide takes effect.
The Triclopyr ester formulations, like that in Crossbow, offer quick burn down of the woody plants but they shut down the exposed plant growth before the herbicide reaches the roots, so you often end up with regrowth.
If you want to up your game, look for some Tordon 22k at your farm co-op if you have a restricted use pesticide license. Otherwise try some Tordon RTU which should be over the counter product.
This stuff will kill anything brush like, including big trees. Hack & Squirt applications to the vines should do the trick, just don't expect an instant kill. Good things take time.

John

A friend told me this hack and it seems to work. After cutting for the day and even suspecting PI in the area, I go home and shower with blue Dawn dish soap. Since Dawn really cuts Oil and grease it’s supposed to really work on PI. Seems to really work for me, any outbreaks are minimal.

A friend told me this hack and it seems to work. After cutting for the day and even suspecting PI in the area, I go home and shower with blue Dawn dish soap. Since Dawn really cuts Oil and grease it’s supposed to really work on PI. Seems to really work for me, any outbreaks are minimal.
I’ve heard that as well.

I completely hate PI but I also really hate chemicals like “round up” being sprayed anywhere near me or my family. Call me a sissy if you like but the chemicals in Round Up are extremely dangerous. Ill stick with chopping out sections of it and help Mother Nature do its work by checking it periodically

JMO

I’ve used it as needed but know that herbicides can contribute to some nasty forms of cancer so I definitely take precautions.

I’ve used it as needed but know that herbicides can contribute to some nasty forms of cancer so I definitely take precautions.
Agree on the potential cancer risk. On the other hand the reaction to PI is an allergic one than can increase in severity possibly building to an anaphylactic reaction that can be life threatening. With any allergic reaction you never know when it can progress to an anaphylactic one, including the first in young, old or weakened immune systems.

Back