Pole Saw Scabbard Leash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Easy to lose a bar scabbard on any saw. Especially pole saws, with their short guide bars, and when tied to the roof of a car, or hanging out the back of a pickup truck. Improvised a lot of replacements with cardboard and duct tape, but decided to make a leash for mine.

Used 'indigenous materials': scabbard, zip ties, boot laces/para cord, cord lock.

IMG_1728.jpg

Drill, punch, melt, or Dremel a couple of holes at least 3/4" apart (want the zip ties to lay flat inside so that they don't snag the chain).

IMG_1729.jpg

Pre-fold the zip ties to the desired shape, tie the cord, add the cord lock.

IMG_1730.jpg

Voilà!

IMG_1731.jpg

(Yes, it will also work with creamscycle and orange pole saws!)

Philbert

I have a stihl pole saw and there is a hole in the bar near the tip end of the bar. I just drilled a hole thru the sleeve where the bar hole was. I put a clip pin thru the sheath/bar hole. Only takes seconds to do.

When I bought my pole saw the stihl dealer warned me if I put it in the back of my truck then it would blow off at some point. The hole in the bar was an obvious solution. I am not sure what function the hole serves. It's just a hole. I wonder why a person just could not drill a hole thru the bar for this purpose. What harm would it do?

I am not sure what function the hole serves. It's just a hole.
We have had that discussion here on A.S.! Apparently, on most bars it is used in the manufacturing process to align the 3 layers of a laminated bar prior to spot welding. In some cases, it is also used to mount an accessory, like a tip guard, or a PowerSharp sharpening cassette. I have use it to bolt a saw to a wooden block, with a wing nut, when filing the chain and no vise or stump was handy! Also good for hanging a spare bar in the shop.

Friend uses a cheap Harbor Frieght bungee cord and it seems to work great.
Shock cords can work too. Old McCulloch scabbards came with a plastic hook at the end of a spring, but they also had attachment points molded in. That's why I went with the zip ties: to keep the cord or bungee hooks away from the chain.

Mac Scabbard.png

Philbert

Back