Poll....Splitter valve and power beyond

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Splitter valve up stream or down stream an additional 2-spool valve??

• A: Splitter valve PB capable, up stream. Additional 2.spool valve down stream.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • B: Additional 2-spool valve PB capable, up stream. Splitter valve down stream.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • C: It does not matter if splitter valve is up stream or down stream the additional 2.spool valve.

Votes: 9 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Good luck finding a log splitter valve with PB

Thats a good point...can be hard to find a "Log splitter valve", but there are a lot of other 1-spool valves that suits log splitters. Even with detent-function etc

This Prince 5000 series valve is available 1-2-3 spool with a lot of bells and whistles in the accessory list, including PB.
Of course you pay more than "88$" which is the low starting price forfor the Prince 3000 valve, which also is named "LOG SPLITTER CONTROL VALVE"

I plumbed mine with a 2 spool valve w/PB for the wedge adjustment and log lift then into the auto cycle valve w/PB. Running a 22gpm pump so there is an adjustable flow restrictor on one of the wedge adjust lines at the valve. The log lift hasn't been put on yet. I arranged them in that order for ergonomics. When using PB valves, it doesn't matter what order they go in because there is no back pressure, no pressure loss or no flow loss between the valves. Plumbing valves in series will ruin them from back pressure in the exhaust side as has already been pointed out.

I plumbed mine with a 2 spool valve w/PB for the wedge adjustment and log lift then into the auto cycle valve w/PB. Running a 22gpm pump so there is an adjustable flow restrictor on one of the wedge adjust lines at the valve. The log lift hasn't been put on yet. I arranged them in that order for ergonomics. When using PB valves, it doesn't matter what order they go in because there is no back pressure, no pressure loss or no flow loss between the valves. Plumbing valves in series will ruin them from back pressure in the exhaust side as has already been pointed out.

Thank you for your post Junkfxr!! Glad to hear your You are on progress with your project! :clap:

I do not really agree with you, when you say there is " no back pressure and no pressure loss" between the valves....There is always pressure losses involved in valves, my point is to by-pass as much of the losses as possible with the best PB setup.
See pressure losses in valve section on page 4th page in the Prince 5000 pdf

Thank you for your post Junkfxr!! Glad to hear your You are on progress with your project! :clap:

I do not really agree with you, when you say there is " no back pressure and no pressure loss" between the valves....There is always pressure losses involved in valves, my point is to by-pass as much of the losses as possible with the best PB setup.
See pressure losses in valve section on page 4th page in the Prince 5000 pdf

From what I see, the losses are negliable. I have the reliefs on both valves set at 2950psi. The 3000 psi pump has no problem making enough pressure to send the relief on the autocycle valve, the last one in the circuit, into bypass. I read all of the literature on the Prince valves before I started rebuilding the splitter and done as much research as I could. Some things seemed kinda "iffy" before I started according to valve specs and such but I went with it any way. What I'm telling you is working is from real world working environment, not text book theory.

From what I see, the losses are negliable. I have the reliefs on both valves set at 2950psi. The 3000 psi pump has no problem making enough pressure to send the relief on the autocycle valve, the last one in the circuit, into bypass. I read all of the literature on the Prince valves before I started rebuilding the splitter and done as much research as I could. Some things seemed kinda "iffy" before I started according to valve specs and such but I went with it any way. What I'm telling you is working is from real world working environment, not text book theory.

I am very glad you are happy with you arrangement....I am sure it is working very good too...even from the "text book theory" point of view...

My "right" answer on the Poll, is alternative A.
In some cases it can be "hair split", in others it can save some energy, reduce heat problems and save $$'s. Although there is never a reason not to save energy, if it comes with no or limited extra cost.

All valves, hoses, lines, fittings, filters etc, will resist flow, and create pressure. A 2-spool valve resist flow more than a properly sized return line. Since the goal and reality is to make the splitter cylinder be the most operated of all cylinders on the splitter. Depending on type of logs, heavy, light, large diameter etc, in some cases up to 95% or more, is purely splitter cylinder operation. There is no reason the have that flow through a 2-spool valve before it enters the splitter valve. By making the splitter valve the upstream PB valve, most operation flow will never go through the 2-spool valve, and instead through the less restrictive return line. In a system with a 25gpm flow, it can save up to 0.6hp (with The Prince 5000 series valves), to have the 1-spool splitter valve upstream as the PB capable valve.

This picture shows a PB circuit with the 1-spool valve downstream and the 2-spool valve as the upstream PB valve.
PB_schematic.jpg

thats the same way i've piped this splitter ,but if all the levers are being operated from the same position i'd use a 3 lever spool valve

Back