polyurethane wedges

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well this really isn't much of a topic per say..just a little pat on the back for myself I guess. We had some scrap polyurethane at work, so I thought huh...I'll just cast myself some wood cutting wedges!....so I did and they turned out great. Got to do a litte sanding and then they're all set!! That's it, just thought I'd share that. Go ahead laugh, but I saved a few bucks right? Carry on...

most manufactured wedges have a textured surface to keep them from backing out of the cut. you might want to leave rought spots or barbs of some sort. just a suggestion.

You can make good felling wedges out of oak or elm in any size you want if you own a bandsaw (like a delta 14”) and have access to oak or elm. Don’t use wedges a lot but no problems so far.

You can make good felling wedges out of oak or elm in any size you want if you own a bandsaw (like a delta 14”) and have access to oak or elm. Don’t use wedges a lot but no problems so far.

+1

Hard maple works well also :)

I find maple splits a bit too easily. You can use beech but I rarely have access to this wood. The only problem I find with wooden wedges is losing them. You kinda need to paint them fluorescent orange or white or they get lost in the litter.

I made some out of some oak slabs I had laying around. They worked good but I did break some slamming them with the 3 lb hammer. Its also just fine if you hit it with the saw and cut it, just make some more :)

Well this really isn't much of a topic per say..just a little pat on the back for myself I guess. We had some scrap polyurethane at work, so I thought huh...I'll just cast myself some wood cutting wedges!....so I did and they turned out great. Got to do a litte sanding and then they're all set!! That's it, just thought I'd share that. Go ahead laugh, but I saved a few bucks right? Carry on...

i'll take three, for starters.

I find maple splits a bit too easily. You can use beech but I rarely have access to this wood. The only problem I find with wooden wedges is losing them. You kinda need to paint them fluorescent orange or white or they get lost in the litter.

Soft maple, yes... The ones I've made out of hard maple take a good beating before they split... I don't use them all that much, so they work for me.

As for losing them, I just cut about 7 cords of red oak... I lost 1 wedge. Not bad I guess.. It didn't cost me anything. I was just using it while bucking to keep from pinching the bar. If I would have had a wedge pouch, I probably wouldn't have lost it.... not enough pockets (accessible) in those darned carhartts.

Latest posts

Back