Poofing Stove

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallElf

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, I have been running my Hearthstone II for 3 years now, and I have run into an issue. It is poofing at me on damp days, especially in the evening time.

It runs all day without a problem, but it seems that when I toss a log on for the evening snooze it takes about half an hour for it to get up to speed and stop poofing. If I run the damper open for a little bit then close it down, it will do it again.

I have a straight pipe up through the ceiling and into a crawl space then out the roof so all but 5 ft is inside.

I did clean the chimney at the begining of the season in(although I cleaned it at the end of last year, it is just compulsory to do it again) then in Nov, just ran the brush through cause I had some low temp burns, nothing major.

It looked pretty clean the other day (just a blackend edge, nothing thick accumulating.

Any ideas?

BTW, doesn't matter if it is oak, ash, willow (2 years seasoned) maple etc.

Some ideas to look at

When I built my house I had issues with puffing.The stove dealer came out and installed another length (3 feet) of stovepipe even though I was at the recommended chimney heigth.
Well anyways I figured it out after two years.My chimney was on the north side of the house.Whenever we would get a storm with a north wind which only happened about 3 times a year my stove would puff.Really nothing I could do.Then I put an addition on the opposite side of the house which lengthened the roof and problem solved. My neighbor had the same problem but they cannot rectify it.Their chimney is already above the roof line by about feet.
So when yours puffs note the wind conditions and general weather.

It's starving for oxygen. I have an old Woodland stove in my shop that does the same thing. If I let it burn down to a few coals then load it up it will sit and smoulder, building up enough gas until it gets enough oxygen to "explode". It blew the rope seal out of the fill door one time and filled the shop with smoke. Now, whenever I load it, I open the ash door until I hear it sucking air. Then I close the ash door and set the spinner draft to however I want it to burn.

If you have an EPA Hearthstone, get rid of the pipe damper.:monkey:

The stoves are engineered to NOT need a pipe damper. It shuts down the draft even open.

Other advice is on target: hot flue, enough pipe exposure over the roof, hot fires on low barometric days. Like your eyebrows ? Never open a wood stove in low air mode. :deadhorse:

It's definitly a drafting issue.
So like what's been mentioned...
Longer flue..
Make up air..
Draft settings all need to be looked at.

Is your chimney the recommended 2 feet higher than anything within a 10 foot diameter ??

Is your chimney the recommended 2 feet higher than anything within a 10 foot diameter ??

Code....if the flue exsits the roof or roof line within 10 feet of the peak the pipe must be 2 foot higher than the peak if it is further away than 10 foot then it must be 3 foot above the roofline....these are minimum requirements.

If you have an EPA Hearthstone, get rid of the pipe damper.:monkey:

The stoves are engineered to NOT need a pipe damper. It shuts down the draft even open.

Other advice is on target: hot flue, enough pipe exposure over the roof, hot fires on low barometric days. Like your eyebrows ? Never open a wood stove in low air mode. :deadhorse:

No pipe damper. Damper on the back of the stove. I have been telling my dad to ditch his pipe damper for 2 years now on his

Code....if the flue exsits the roof or roof line within 10 feet of the peak the pipe must be 2 foot higher than the peak if it is further away than 10 foot then it must be 3 foot above the roofline....these are minimum requirements.

It is within 2 ft of the peak, and it is about 3ft above the peak.

I am guessing that I was choking it down too quickly after adding a load of wood.

Back