Poor advice becoming more common on AS...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can he replace that PTO side seal without splitting the case? I haven't done seals on those saws yet....

Yeah Aaron. That seal comes out from the outside....

I agree on the comments about the sticky, they were very hard to get info out. Now with most of the pictures gone, they are pretty much hopeless. Next to that, reading threads about rebuilds and porting saws is a great way to learn, even more when they use a lot of pictures. There is still a lot of info to be found here and some questions could be easily answered by searching. That in combination with good stickies would help but some people are and will always be too lazy do search for the answer when they can just ask.

New members are key for keeping a forum alive but some members seem to be 'all-knowing' and write in a pretty arrogant way imo. But it is a forum and discussion should take place but it should happen in a respectful way. When I started reading on this forum, I wouldn't think about going in against a senior poster here. I would start searching for info to prove my point and ask for help when I wouldn't get his point, in a humble way ofc. But courtesy is getting lost on the internet and the direct way of talking is destroying the nice environment.
The poor advice in a thread should normally be corrected by a experienced member pretty quickly. But since the troubles with the forum, many of the nice and experienced guys left or aren't really active anymore, and that s*cks! If there were more experienced members reacting all the time, less newbs would post so quickly without thinking or learn more from their mistakes.

I was left with a real ****** taste in my mouth from the tech guy here........I got the feeling that whether I was here or not mattered very little to them. I've made great strides in making sure I can be found in lots of other places since.

Can he replace that PTO side seal without splitting the case? I haven't done seals on those saws yet....

the PTO side seal is pressed into the bearing so it seals the inner and outer races. alot of the newer saws are like this from 346-390, 550,562. i have tried to get that PTO seal from the dealers here and they say it is unavailable unless buying a bearing. really annoying actually. i liked the old case to crank seals rather then these stupid race to race seals. sounds like randy has gotten those seals new somewhere though and i am interested.

the PTO side seal is pressed into the bearing so it seals the inner and outer races. alot of the newer saws are like this from 346-390, 550,562. i have tried to get that PTO seal from the dealers here and they say it is unavailable unless buying a bearing. really annoying actually. i liked the old case to crank seals rather then these stupid race to race seals. sounds like randy has gotten those seals new somewhere though and i am interested.

I'm had no problem buying just the seal.

I gotta' say, that "I cut ten trees today" was good for a laugh, then I remembered he was talking to MCW and I nearly spit my coffee. I'm not saying that dropping trees magically makes a person right about everything saw related, but it sure don't hurt. If you are laying 'em down you learn what's what because you don't make money if you don't.

Now excuse me, I'm going to go make a couple of bars from scratch. I'm thinking I'll make these special, probably .043 guage and 40" long. I'm thinking if I run that thin kerf on my ported MS880 climbing saw it should cut really smooth and fast. I like smooth and fast when I'm hanging by my eyebrows one handing a big saw.:laugh:

Don't try this in the woods, newbies. :ices_rofl:

Mr. HE:cool:

I was left with a real ****** taste in my mouth from the tech guy here........I got the feeling that whether I was here or not mattered very little to them. I've made great strides in making sure I can be found in lots of other places since.

Great strides??? YOU broked their site! :D

Hu

The way it was?

I've been on the site for going on 12 years now and there never has been a 'the way it was'.

Same ****, different diaper.

The good news is the sites forgives and forgets.

Can't help but wonder if you bothered reading the thread... Apparently some, think things have changed a bit.

You are one of the builders that has brought a bunch of information to this site, and next to that, also a lot of fun (also important!!!). I've spent hours (probably days) reading threads from you (and others) about porting and building saws. And guys like you leaving, is sure having an impact on the forum, but I'm not blaming you/others for leaving. The forum has changed a lot. I don't know how Darin or the tech guy are talking to the sponsors but I've found that there has been little information (to the members) since all the hacking started and it seemed like nobody knew/knows what's going on. And that's frustrating for everyone, but even more for sponsors and senior posters like you. Even now, the forum seems to be running on it's own. I don't get that. In times like these, there should be some active mods/owners that are available for everyone and that are well informed about the things that are going on imo.

No bashing intended to the current mods btw.

I'm had no problem buying just the seal.

see this is the kind of bull **** that makes me hate the dealers here. first i hear there is no heated full wrap option for my 372 but later find out there is. now these seals. it doesn't happen often but still really pisses me off. i pressured them to get me those things too. i'm gonna write down that part number and see what those assholes have to say. it only makes sense that they can be purchased seperately. who wants to split the cases to replace a bearing just cause a seal is leaking. dealers will tell you anything to make a buck and sell off what they already have in stock. i hate it. tell them til your blue in the face and they just make you look stupid even though they are wrong.

I've been a member there since the place went online, that's not new. I've just finished starting a Mastermind Worksaws Facebook page.......

You have been a member there but then when you acted like the Pied Piper and over a hundred people followed you there the same day including somebody living at my house, keeerrrash!

Bad as I hate to, I'm joining facebook this year. Those SOB's were leaders in the internet privacy invasion so I have resisted joining. Now that I can't wear my tighty-whities around the house with holes in them without michelle and the gurls of both sexes at the nsa getting whiney it just doesn't matter anymore and I am cutting myself off from too many people and too much information.

Hu

They have that seal at Northwood Saw.

Yeah Aaron. That seal comes out from the outside.....

I suppose if I'd looked in the Service Manual (instead of being lazy) I'd have found the answer myself. Thanks guys....

Back